weight loss from swimming?

Options
hello!
i use to be a competitive swimmer in high school and was really fit but then i got cancer and now 8 years later i am back to swimming, it is my favorite exercise. i never did it for weight loss and i was just wondering if anyone has had any success/seen real results quickly from it? i am doing laps 3 times a week in an olympic sized pool for an hour. started yesterday and feeling amazing and sore today! i have lost 56 pounds so far and have another 40 to go. i eat right and love working out but i know swimming is the best total body work out you can get, i am ready to see some real muscle definition!
thanks yall!!!

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love swimming but don't have access to a pool on a consistent basis. I think the key to sticking with exercise is finding something you love to do all the time. It seems like you have that. My only observation is that Olympic swimmers have awesome, hot bodies. Can't really argue with that! Congrats on your weight loss and your triumph over cancer. I'm pretty sure that last 40 pounds doesn't stand a chance!

If you want some muscle definition, pick up some heavy weights. You'll be surprised at the change your body will make. :flowerforyou:
  • MamawChristy
    MamawChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use swimming in my routine, and it does seem to burn off a lot and feels great. So go for it, you are doing great!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes from diet.

that being said, i'm a former competitive swimmer turned triathlete, and love to swim. great work out, especially if you are familiar with it. a lot of people hit the pool, and don't know how to properly swim, therefore they perceive their exertion as the sign of a strong work out.
  • claireydafairy
    claireydafairy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was always told that swimming is good for weight loss as it gives you an all over body workout without putting any strain on your lower joints and it will definitely tone you up. But I agree that if you really want to see some proper definition then pick up some heavy weights.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Your definitely on the right track with the swimming, cardio and resistance training all in one. And congrats on winning your battle with cancer :flowerforyou:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. A good swimming workout burns oodles of calories, and you already know about the great muscle tone it produces.

I like to mix up my strokes to move the muscle tone around. Breast X 25, Fly X 25, Back X 25, Free X 50 . . . aaaaaand repeat for about an hour! Best workout EVER!