Warming up before your run...

Options
13»

Replies

• RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is right or wrong but I just walk a bit, about 1-2 blocks worth, then start up slow and stretch afterwords. Isn't starting out slow warming up?
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've run a lot over the past 7+ years (28 Half Marathons, 21 Marathons, 57 5K's, etc.). I rarely, if ever, warm up. I start my Garmin and go. If I'm beginning a marathon or half, I'll stretch out a bit, other than that...no. I usually train in the 8 minute per mile (+/-) range.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't warm up. My first mile is usually a little slower pace but other than that, I don't stretch until afterwards, if at all.

^^^ this
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    As I never start out my run as a sprint, my run is my warm-up, I just don't go very fast for the first two miles.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I stretch. Running moves me forward, so I like to make sure I'm limber side to side so that I don't run stiff. Slow side lunges help me. I do stretches that loosen my neck, back and arms so that I have a more relaxed gait.

I do slow stretches and hold them, stretching a bit more each time until I feel relaxed. I DO NOT bounce on cold muscles. Flying into jumping jacks would probably get me winded before I even start, so I don't. I have to warm my heart up slowly, so I start with heart monitor on and slow down if it's going beyond my preset limit too early in my run.

Finally, I like stretches that lift my toes or push down on my heel. This helps my calves stretch. I was having issues with tightness last year and some things locking up...these seemed to help a lot.

I've picked up some warmup moves from the Ironman Runner's Workout from Runnersworld.com The moves there help with hip flexibility and even muscle distribution to help ward off injury.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    As I never start out my run as a sprint, my run is my warm-up, I just don't go very fast for the first two miles.
    ^^this
    I usually run 6-10 miles. I go a little slow for the first 2 miles and then also for the next 6 or 8... :bigsmile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't actually stretch before running but I always do after (as well as a cool down walk if I'm coming off a long run). I don't actually do a real warm up either, I just start slow and go from there.

This is me too. You shouldn't do static (stationary) stretches on cold muscles, those should be done after a workout. Dynamic warm up is what is suggested beforehand, which are basically calestenics. I start with about 2-3 minutes of walking then go into my slow jog and start speeding up after about 10 min of the walk and jog combined then stretch afterwards.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just simple arm and leg stretches, squats is what I do to warm up before I run.
  • johnnylufc
    johnnylufc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hi all . can anyone help please
    i weigh 277lb and my height 5feet 8inch
    i go on the treadmill and walk and walk out side some days.
    but when i try to jogg i get pain in my knees and hip for about 3-4 days after .
    what weight did you start to jogg or run and how did you feel
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    hi all . can anyone help please
    i weigh 277lb and my height 5feet 8inch
    i go on the treadmill and walk and walk out side some days.
    but when i try to jogg i get pain in my knees and hip for about 3-4 days after .
    what weight did you start to jogg or run and how did you feel

I'd give the C25K program a shot. Go slow. The first week you're only jogging (slowly mind you) for a minute continuously, while walking most of the time. I couldn't run when I started, and I run 4 miles three times a week now. Give it a shot.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    ^^this
    I usually run 6-10 miles. I go a little slow for the first 2 miles and then also for the next 6 or 8... :bigsmile:

pmsl 55, that is EXACTLY how I roll!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've never warmed up. I get right into it. Never had a problem
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've run a lot over the past 7+ years (28 Half Marathons, 21 Marathons, 57 5K's, etc.). I rarely, if ever, warm up. I start my Garmin and go. If I'm beginning a marathon or half, I'll stretch out a bit, other than that...no. I usually train in the 8 minute per mile (+/-) range.

Listen to this guy.. i havent done as much but still ran 5k in 24.36 and im a beginner lol.

Stretching can hurt you.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Thanks for all the good replies!

I'm heading out to get my morning run in... And I guess I've decided that I'm just going to run much slower than I usually do for the first half mile before picking up my speed. When I used to run a lot, that's what I did and I could run for an hour (or jog if that's what you call it). After my run, I'd just walk around for maybe a quarter mile and then lie down... I have very low blood pressure so my doctor says that gets the blood moving to my brain faster... But I never thought about stretching after my runs. Thanks for letting me know! I'll start adding that in today.

Okay, I better go run before I don't! :wink: