HIT A PLATEAU-HELP!

Options
I am doing Weight Watchers and have hit a plateau and have been stuck at the same weight for....months!

What are some tips on getting past a plateau!?

Thanks!

Replies

• ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    darlinglovest,

What are you doing for exercise?
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I was walking 2-4 miles per day stopped about a week ago hoping that might help but I'm still stuck.
  • ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. I'd stick with it. Do you know how many calories you're burning and how many calories you're consuming? You've got to create a deficit to lose weight. :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? Are you meeting your Net calories daily?

Informative article:
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

from the blog:

In my experience, the solution to ending a weight-loss plateau means modifying the most extreme measure of the current weight loss plan. What is the most extreme part of a plan? It’s the part of a plan that a dieter does too much or too little. It’s an extreme of too many or not enough calories, cardio work, or strength training.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Walking is good. I'd stick with it. Do you know how many calories you're burning and how many calories you're consuming? You've got to create a deficit to lose weight. :)

I agree - I certainly wouldn't stop exercising to break a plateau - I'd eat more
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Well, I'm doing WW and that isn't by calories. Its points. So, I am eating my points, exactly. Not really counting calories and I burn about 330 calories when I walk 2 miles. So, about 1650 per week burned when I walk Mon-Fri.
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Blaaah, I already feel like I eat so much!!

I will continue to work out I suppose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I was walking 2-4 miles per day stopped about a week ago hoping that might help but I'm still stuck.
    Body is used to current exercise. Once the body adapts, it "allocates" calories for set exercise. Try just increasing your intensity................walking faster would be one way. Another would be to walk up hill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Well, I'm doing WW and that isn't by calories. Its points. So, I am eating my points, exactly. Not really counting calories and I burn about 330 calories when I walk 2 miles. So, about 1650 per week burned when I walk Mon-Fri.

Do you use a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate calorie burn?
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Thanks. Should I change the way I eat or anything?
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi darlinglovestory, I asked the same thing on here, and a lot of people recommended weight training. It burns more calories and promotes the growth of lean muscle mass (over time of course). So that's what I'm starting to do :) Maybe you should let up on the cardio a little bit, and do more heavy weight training?
  • Sylvia529
    Sylvia529 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you need to reload... for 1 or 2 days you need to eat "whatever" you want, but keep it under control. I hit a plateau and had a healthy breakfast, 2 snacks and then a burger and some sweet potato fries from BK, then yesterday i had some popcorn at a movie theatre and im starting to go down again. its good practice to reload atleast 1 time every two weeks. its like restarting your metabolism
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    No, I use an app on my cell phone that tracks my distance, speed and calories burned.
  • RideOn66
    RideOn66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I would actually try running. Increasing the intensity is important.
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I can try this. I actually tried a "3daydiet" where I ate 1000 calories per day for 3 days and only certain foods. It didn't work. lol

I do well not eating many carbs, too.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Body is used to current exercise. Once the body adapts, it "allocates" calories for set exercise. Try just increasing your intensity................walking faster would be one way. Another would be to walk up hill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS! You gotta mix it up to get off the plateau Go take a fitness class (zumba, pyo strength or get on a different machine)..
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    This is what I'll probably do! I need to start jogging, actually. Thanks!
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Cool, thanks everyone. I think I will start jogging and see if that helps.
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    try shaking things up a bit. cut back on carbs or cut out gluten and/or dairy. do something you haven't tried yet with the types of food you eat. sometimes your body just needs a change.
  • darlinglovestory
    Options