Livin La Vida Low Carb

Options

Replies

• Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ultra low carb, keto adapted for over a year now. I eat Primal and love it. FR me if you like. :-) I am in the UK.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I'm recently doomed to eat low carb. I, along with the team of doctors I work with, have done a lot of research on the effects of carbohydrates on the body, and how they relate to insulin levels and fat storage.

Care to enlighten us on your research?

OP: There are a lot of people on this site who are dead-against low carb eating. I'd recommend listening to your doctor over their skepticism. Even when presented with research, some of these people continue to try and turn people against low carb eating.

Why get so defensive when someone askes for research. I am interested in learning new things and would like to know too.

Because Acg67 isn't interested in research - he's interested in setting up a situation in which he can be pedantic and play semantics.

Perhaps people put themselves in those situations by now knowing what they're talking about?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So I'm recently doomed to eat low carb. I, along with the team of doctors I work with, have done a lot of research on the effects of carbohydrates on the body, and how they relate to insulin levels and fat storage.

OP: There are a lot of people on this site who are dead-against low carb eating. I'd recommend listening to your doctor over their skepticism. Even when presented with research, some of these people continue to try and turn people against low carb eating.

Why get so defensive when someone askes for research. I am interested in learning new things and would like to know too.

Not defensive about research at all, just letting the OP know the usual reaction to low-carb posts here. I've had lengthy discussions with the same poster about this topic.
    Look through some other topics and you'll see lots of research supporting both sides.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsgVLNMQLvWPWa5OFe4JeYv5W-HllzsdjVltzzoMdMMfJFsicSW6Nlq3EB
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Have some yummy fat and a bit of salt to take those cravings away
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was told that I was "carb sensative" or "insulin resistant" (i.e. prone to diabetes genetically, and by the way I was eating) and that my digestive issues would probably be mostly cured by eating low carb (staying away from refined carbs especially). This was by gastro and internal doctors. From what I understood, not everyone is like this, but those who gain around the middle, etc. especially do better with cutting back on carbs. This is why diabetics can't eat a lot of carbs, esp refined carbs. Anyway, I try to stay away from bread, pasta and sweets. Stuff the spikes blood sugar. I'm not always successful, and my digestive system lets me know right away, but when I eat lean meats, vegetables, and fruit only along with some lower fat dairy I do really well. The first few days is killer after a carb binge, though. Usually, by then my system is so messed up I welcome it truthfully.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Because Acg67 isn't interested in research - he's interested in setting up a situation in which he can be pedantic and play semantics.

Whatever his intentions maybe, the research would be interesting and no matter what your views on diet are, I find knowing all the information and making my own decisions the best option. Instead of getting off topic and assuming someones motives and making comments about it just gets the topic off track.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Whatever his intentions maybe, the research would be interesting and no matter what your views on diet are, I find knowing all the information and making my own decisions the best option. Instead of getting off topic and assuming someones motives and making comments about it just gets the topic off track.

Fair enough. Good luck talking to him.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also am on a low carb journey. I have a public diary so feel free to browse.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Take heavy whipping cream flavor with real vanilla extract, lemon juice, or cinnamon and whip it up into stiff peaks. Stuff it into a plastic bag and snip the corner to 'pipe' it into nickle/quarter sized dollops on a wax paper line pan or plate. Take some frozen blue berries or other dark berry and press into eat dollop. Then put in the freezer for a while. once they are stiff and frozen they are a nice treat. Can even just whip up plain whipping cream and mix in a little fruit without freezing.

Make sure you're drinking water. I have also heard that when going low carb that you start to retain less water so you may be getting a little more dehydrated then you're used to.

Also find whole fat plain yogurt or greek yogurt. Not low-fat or no-fat with added fruit or other flavors. You can add your own. Fage and Oikos brands makes whole milk yogurt. I often eat it plain and it tastes awesome. I never liked yogurt before really until I tried it made from whole milk. Can also use it to make savory dips for veggies or sauces in a meal.

I eat about 1/2 a serving of 85% dark chocolate for a quick treat. I have tried to go to 90% but that is a little too much for me. I wouldn't go any lower then 70% though. Green and Blacks organic brand is good. Lindt bars taste good too but was told the process they use kinda reduces most of the antioxidants that are in raw cocoa.

There are almond meal/flour cookie recipes. www.ibreathimhungry.com has a lot of nice treats if you have to find something.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm living low carb! I finally had to come to terms with it after busting my *kitten* for 2 years and not losing a thing. Now that I'm around 120g or less, I'm finally seeing a difference. The carb flu sucks, you feel like crap and you just want a bagel. But you can do this, think of it as detoxing. Have a few extra grams of carbs on the weekend (that's what I do) and continue on your merry way. Pretty soon your diary is going to rock, and things will get a lot easier. You realize that you aren't thinking of carb substitutes anymore, you're just thinking food. For example, today for lunch, instead of having bread, I just rolled up some lunch meat and lettuce with a scootch of mustard. I didn't even think of the bread. I usually have most of my carbs at supper because I work out in the evenings. I also don't eat fruit. I load the vegetables up at every single meal, and make sure I have an awesome source of protein. Don't forget your multi-vitamin either! I don't eat any dairy, and almond milk has to many carbs for me to afford, so I get my calcium and vitamin D with magnesium in a woman's one a day vitamin. Good Luck! If you need some support, feel free to add me!

P.S. I started on the Carb Nite Solution too. I really like that book, and it gave a different perspective then I was used to (calories in calories out doesn't always work). I no longer do 30g a day, but I really like the "Carb Saturday" where I don't have to monitor everything that goes in my mouth. Sunday's are usually food hangover days because I have more then 120g of carbs, but i bust my *kitten* that day just to feel better lol. Also, I love the full fats. Mayonnaise is my favorite full fat. I hated the low fat/half the fat/ fake mayo, now I have the full fat everything, extra virgin olive oil, whole eggs...mmmmm....it makes me happier lol

I get tons of my recipes from Pinterest (the health and fitness section, not the food and drink section), or check out Diabetic cooking, those tend to be low carb too.
  • ngyoung
    Options

It is pretty well established that insulin is a fat storing hormone. Our bodies can only use a limited amount of sugar at a time so its job is to reduce blood sugar by pushing it into our fat cells where there is plenty of space for storage. When some people have lived a long time on a diet high in sugar that system gets screwed up and can be very sensitive to even moderate carb intake. Their fat cells also can start to get 'greedy' and don't release the fat when your body asks for it like it should.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It is pretty well established that insulin is a fat storing hormone. Our bodies can only use a limited amount of sugar at a time so its job is to reduce blood sugar by pushing it into our fat cells where there is plenty of space for storage. When some people have lived a long time on a diet high in sugar that system gets screwed up and can be very sensitive to even moderate carb intake. Their fat cells also can start to get 'greedy' and don't release the fat when your body asks for it like it should.

So sugar is either oxidized or stored as fat? Nothing else? Might want to do some more research
  • skinnyforcruise2013
    Options
    I just started back today living low carb. I lost well and felt great doing that and I have to do it again. I'm tired of feeling icky from all the carbs. Feel free to add me and we'll compare notes:)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Here's an interesting read that questions conventional wisdom......

http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Basically the Adkins diet no? Nothing wrong with cutting down on carbs IMO.
  • mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options

That chicken recipe sounds awesome I would love to get some more recipes

Super simple, pound a chicken breast til flat and even, fill with 1 tbs cream cheese mixed with jalapenos to taste (sometimes ill throw in some garlic powder and chipotle powder to taste) wrap the chicken around it, wrap 2 pieces of bacon around the chicken, hold in place with toothpicks. i will toss it on the grill in a disposable pan liner or bake it at 350 until done. the last few minutes of cooking, i will top it with a bit of cheese.
  • ngyoung
    Options

Here's an interesting read that questions conventional wisdom......

http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/

I think one of the responses to the article you referenced says it better then I could:

"Fat storage does not happen without insulin. Period. And fat loss will not happen if circulating insulin levels remain high–no matter how many “calories” (whatever is meant by that) you reduce, or for that matter, how many carbs. Period. How to best reduce circulating insulin levels remains a matter of debate, but there is no doubt that reducing carbohydrate and calories are usually both a part of that process in any studies done up to this point. But even then, this has more to do with fat loss than maintaining a normal healthy weight, which–you are correct in pointing out–is an intake issue."
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Pretty interesting article on carbs ............the conclusion

"
    Conclusion

I hope you can see by now that the carbohydrate hypothesis of obesity is not only incorrect on a number of levels, but it may even be backward. The reason why obesity and metabolism researchers don't typically subscribe to this idea is that it is contradicted by a large body of evidence from multiple fields. I understand that people like ideas that "challenge conventional wisdom", but the fact is that obesity is a complex state and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses.

Carbohydrate consumption per se is not behind the obesity epidemic. However, once overweight or obesity is established, carbohydrate restriction can aid fat loss in some people. The mechanism by which this occurs is not totally clear, but there is no evidence that insulin plays a causal role in this process. Carbohydrate restriction spontaneously reduces calorie intake (as does fat restriction to a lesser extent), suggesting the possibility that it alters body fat homeostasis, but there is no compelling evidence that that happens due to a hormonal influence on fat tissue itself. The brain is the primary homeostatic regulator of fat mass, just as it homeostatically regulates blood pressure, breathing rate, and body temperature. This has been suspected since the early brain lesion studies of the 1940s (47) and even before, and the discovery of leptin in 1994 cemented leptin's role as the main player in body fat homeostasis. In some cases, the setpoint around which the body defends these variables can be changed (e.g., hypertension, fever, and obesity). Research is ongoing to understand how this process work"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! You'll feel better than ever and have tons of energy once you're past the keto flu stage. In the meantime, make sure you're indulging in some yummy high-fat foods. Have bacon, butter (Kerrygold Irish), cream cheese, juicy meat, creamy dressings.

I've been doing keto since the beginning of this year (with some scheduled breaks for weddings, vacations, etc.). When I knock myself out of keto, I hate those few days of the flu. I'm experiencing it right now actually -- but once I get to ketosis I always feel amazing!

I can't see your diary, otherwise I'd offer feedback on that. Feel free to add me if you want to check out my diary. And good luck!
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    You're going through the "carb flu". It will be gone soon, and you'll feel amazing! Don't give up. :flowerforyou: