Need BBQ Rib Recipes for Tonight (6/25)

Options
pinkledoodledoo
pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
I have a rack of pork spare ribs that I intend on cooking tonight. I want to BBQ them but I have no clue how. I looked up recipes online and most of them say to cook in the oven for hours the day before - I'm not doing that PERIOD end of story. If I wanted to cook something for hours I'd put it in my crock pot. :tongue:

So - how do you grill a rack of big ol' pork ribs (not baby back)? Recipes, suggestions, anecdotes about what not to do, whatever info you can offer is much appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have a rack of pork spare ribs that I intend on cooking tonight. I want to BBQ them but I have no clue how. I looked up recipes online and most of them say to cook in the oven for hours the day before - I'm not doing that PERIOD end of story. If I wanted to cook something for hours I'd put it in my crock pot. :tongue:

So - how do you grill a rack of big ol' pork ribs (not baby back)? Recipes, suggestions, anecdotes about what not to do, whatever info you can offer is much appreciated! :smile:

If you want them fall off the bone tender, they need to be cooked/smoked at low temps for a long period of time
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't remember all the details, but I've boiled them, then seared them on the grill so they have the grill marks (or maybe I did that before I boiled them). Then but them in the oven on low with bbq sauce and cover them with foil. Fall of the bone good!! Maybe take a look for internet recipes where you boil first then the oven. Good luck!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options

If you want them fall off the bone tender, they need to be cooked/smoked at low temps for a long period of time

I just need them cooked. Fall off the bone tender is purely optional.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    225-250* indirect heat, for about 5 hrs ...... wrapped in tin foil for 2 hrs, open foil for 2 hrs, completely uncovered and soaked in BBQ for 1 hr.

Dry rub with Salt, cane sugar,brown sugar,onion powder,paprika,dry mustard,garlic, oregano,black pepper and chili powder, let set for 10 hrs before grilling.

you can find good dry rub recipes online ....
  • lowcaloriecupboard
    Options
    All of the suggestions above are great... however she intends on cooking them tonight... so scratch that! :P

Dry rub your ribs with a rub that will suit your taste buds.... if you want them spicy then using more chilli powder or cayenne. Heres a basic rib rub that shouldn't be too spicy but will add tons of flavour.

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm

Grill the ribs on your BBQ at a higher temp if you want them done faster. If you want them tender you will have to cook them at a lower temp for longer like suggested above.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Grill them fat side up over a medium amount of charcoal for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Flip and grill another 20 minutes. Sauce them up with your fave sauce and grill them 5 minutes each side.

They turn out pretty tender this way, but not fall-off-the-bone.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    There's only one way to cook ribs... Low and slow, preferably with a lot of smoke.

Cooking them any other way, they're going to just be tough meat.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options
    All of the suggestions above are great... however she intends on cooking them tonight... so scratch that! :P

Dry rub your ribs with a rub that will suit your taste buds.... if you want them spicy then using more chilli powder or cayenne. Heres a basic rib rub that shouldn't be too spicy but will add tons of flavour.

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm

Grill the ribs on your BBQ at a higher temp if you want them done faster. If you want them tender you will have to cook them at a lower temp for longer like suggested above.

Thanks! Like the rub recipe a lot!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options
    Grill them fat side up over a medium amount of charcoal for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Flip and grill another 20 minutes. Sauce them up with your fave sauce and grill them 5 minutes each side.

They turn out pretty tender this way, but not fall-off-the-bone.

Great suggestion, thanks! (I'd be using propane but still useful info!)
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options
    There's only one way to cook ribs... Low and slow, preferably with a lot of smoke.

Cooking them any other way, they're going to just be tough meat.

Don't worry, I own floss.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get good ribs by cooking on the gas grill over indirect heat. If the grill is big enough, turn one burner on and leave the others off, you should be able to get them pretty tender. Might take an hour or longer, but that will taste better than just tossing them on and letting them cook up to temp quickly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I just need them cooked. Fall off the bone tender is purely optional.

Ew.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    Options
    You should be able to get good ribs by cooking on the gas grill over indirect heat. If the grill is big enough, turn one burner on and leave the others off, you should be able to get them pretty tender. Might take an hour or longer, but that will taste better than just tossing them on and letting them cook up to temp quickly.

I've got 5 burners and 1 rack of ribs... I'm sure I could manage some indirect heat on them for an hour... though that'll really depend on if there's any wind. I find everything cooked on the grill takes longer when it's windy (even closed top).
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Apply a dry rub, wrap them in aluminum foil and put them in the oven at 325 degrees for 60 - 90 minutes, This will steam them in their own juices and make them tender. Unwrap them and finish on the grill until nicely charred on the outside. You can add barbecue sauce if desired.

Dry Rub Recipe:

Kosher salt
    Brown Sugar
    dark chili powder
    black pepper
    granulated garlic
    onion powder
    ground cumin
    cayenne pepper

Equal parts salt and sugar rest of ingredients to taste