Losing is harder in your 30's

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    I am 48. Weight loss is easier for me now because my kiddos are bigger (youngest is nine) and now that my husband has had the Big V, I am not afraid of becoming pregnant anymore. I have more time, more energy and I have the super incentive of them all -- trying to keep from NOT GETTING OLD, :laugh:

Seriously, I don't think I was EVER this focused on weight in my life. Well, once, but I was taking diet pills then. This time it's all me and my MFPs for support and help.

Good luck with your journey, you can add me if you like.
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm 35 and cant blame having a baby for being extremely overweight.....BUT I agree it's hard trying to lose the weight. My daughter's 16 and my son's 9 :-D ............ life's just been so hectic....you kinda dont notice how you pile the weight on .... however...... my eyes are open and I'm using my kids as inspiration to lose the excess, setting small goals and once I reach them, re-set them :-D it's been working for me, also excersising, started small and am working my way up..... dont wanna be in my 50's and then only 'wake up' when I cant move!!! LOL....so I'm thankfull for MFP and all the people here....who arn't afraid to say "it's hard" and post what they eat!!!! Normal people....like me :-D

Stay strong....it's hard...yea....BUT MAN OH MAN..............SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

you are so right and thank you! I remember how i felt after losing my first 70lbs after my first child and can't wait to get back to that.
  • neverquit33
    I just have to say... I have been fat since I was about 10 or 11 years old and losing weight has ALWAYS been hard for me. I've had my moments... In college I got "down" to my lowest adult weight: 165 (still too big being 5'3"). After my son was born I joined WW and dropped 30 pounds, but was still in my 170's.

For me, the hardest part is sticking to it from start to finish (GOAL). All my life I have NEVER been to goal. :grumble: This time I am also faltering... been at this over a year now... but it's different this time, because I REFUSE to give up. I don't care if it takes another two years. I WILL eventually get to goal.

Anyhow...
    My point is... you are LUCKY that it *WAS* easier for you when you were younger as there are folks like me who have ALWAYS struggled every bitter step of the way. :flowerforyou: Best of luck! You can do it!!

Wow i never thought of it that way. I was always the hourglass shaped girl in high school and college but once I had my kids whoa my body changed big time. I am so happy to here you will never give u and you keep moving forward. Keep up the good fight. I'm rooting for you all the way! :)
  • neverquit33
    I am 48. Weight loss is easier for me now because my kiddos are bigger (youngest is nine) and now that my husband has had the Big V, I am not afraid of becoming pregnant anymore. I have more time, more energy and I have the super incentive of them all -- trying to keep from NOT GETTING OLD, :laugh:

Seriously, I don't think I was EVER this focused on weight in my life. Well, once, but I was taking diet pills then. This time it's all me and my MFPs for support and help.

Good luck with your journey, you can add me if you like.

omg! I felt the same way after having my first child. Before kids I wouldn't care what i ate but then when we move overseas EVERYTHING changed. I am way more focused and concerned about my personal health as I age gracefully. Thank you! :)
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Mfp is very helpful to my journaling and staying balanced. I am also beastly in the gym. Feel free to chwck out all 5 of my meals. I tend to eat high protein, lowish carbs. I weigh 111 lbs at 5foot 5 inches. I have children. I actually was heavier prior to kids!
  • tia582
    tia582 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi! I am new to mfp! About 5 years ago I lost 37 lbs for my wedding, but once the dress was off I gave up and stopped. Now looking back I wish I just stuck through it and i would probably be at goal. I am a 31 year old mother of 3 and need to lose 54lbs. I have been going to the gym for a week now and just this Monday started MFP and eating healthy. I need motivation and success stories to keep me going. I also have increase my water intake. Before I barely drank water, bad I know, but I am drinking about 5-6 bottles a day now. I am hoping this will help too.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    And it's 'Much' harder in your fourties.
    Get them now, you will be at an advantage
    to take them on before reaching the 40s.:wink:
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    At 52, I think it's easier. I no longer deal with water weight or monthly emotional swings. For me, I am better now. My doctor tells I am one of the lucky ones, but I wonder if we older women use our age as an excuse. I agree that OP should start being healthy today, don't wait until you are in your fifties like so many of us do

I have found it rather easy to lose the weight and I'm 56. I think I might not be the norm though. I am extremely focused and dedicated, almost to the point of obsession! haha I agree with the responder that I quoted, I do not deal with all that other stuff.

As for older people perhaps using age as an excuse, I think many people believe they can't do a lot of things when they're older. My philosophy is...I can do anything that I think I can. I can't do anything that I think I can't. I think weight loss, among other things, has a lot to do with your mind set. Unless you have physical or medical reasons keeping you from doing it, the power of positive thinking can help so much! My three simple steps to Success! Want it, work for it, believe you can do it...Succeed!

Good luck to you! Believe in you!
  • mindy75
    mindy75 Posts: 2
    I know what you mean! I had my two kids in my twenties. Now, I have a 2 year old daughter. I was 36 when she was born. It's ALOT harder this time around. Feel free to friend me!!!
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    I eat basically the same thing every day! Only I have one cheat meal on the weekend. Seems to work for me :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I've never had a child, but I remember in my 20's staying skinny was effortless, and I rarely gave much thought to what I ate. It wasn't until I turned 30 until I had to actually start paying attention somewhat to diet and exercise.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    I wish I knew how easy I had it in my younger years! I am almost 49 and I have had such a hard time this time around. Its been close to 2 years that I've been on MFP, running, Insanity, weights and I've lost nothing. I've gone up and down a few pounds but nothing substantial. I've tried eating more, I've tried eating less, I've tried the 5:2 plan. The only thing I haven't tried is not eating - which I know I couldn't do. I do contribute the hard loss to my menopausal years and going through the hormonal changes. I know it will even out and until then, I just keep on trucking along and stay as healthy as I can. Doing something is better than doing nothing so don't get discouraged if you don't drop the way you used to. I am a creater of habit myself so I tend to eat the same foods except for when we go out. I do think that as we get older what we eat is so much more important than it used to be. I find if I eat no processed foods I feel much better and have more energy.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Not in my 30s yet, but I can easily say the difference between my teens and early 20s and my late 20s is staggering. I will definitely say that weight loss is harder. Not sure if you follow this, but your BMR is lower as you get older. From what I've seen this seems to be people's problem, they think that (for the most part) they can do what they did when they were younger and it'll just work out the same. It just doesn't work out that way. At least for me it hasn't.

I will also say that I had to change my mindset. To me it's not dieting and losing weight. To me those are temporary things. I looked at it as a lifestyle change. For me it's a bit like when I graduated from school and joined the workforce. My lifestyle changed. I will say though that having a can do attitude helps. Also remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I haven't been a member long, but in talking to people about wieght loss and such, a lot of people seem to want a quick solution. I can't say that I think people can be successful with that mindset.

To me it's all about changing your lifestyle in the long term. It's hard to go slow and slowly see results, but i think it's worth it in the end,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Lol, this is why I scoff at the "boys" in the gym who make claims of how good they look in their 20's. When they get to their late 40's like me, and can still rock the body..............................then they'll have my respect.
    It does get harder which is why many people drop off the fitness journey at about 30 years old and up. Goes to show that people who do stay fit all their lives aren't just "born" that way...................practically all of them had to work damn hard to stay that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neverquit33
    Lol, this is why I scoff at the "boys" in the gym who make claims of how good they look in their 20's. When they get to their late 40's like me, and can still rock the body..............................then they'll have my respect.
    It does get harder which is why many people drop off the fitness journey at about 30 years old and up. Goes to show that people who do stay fit all their lives aren't just "born" that way...................practically all of them had to work damn hard to stay that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

sooo true!!!
  • neverquit33
    Not in my 30s yet, but I can easily say the difference between my teens and early 20s and my late 20s is staggering. I will definitely say that weight loss is harder. Not sure if you follow this, but your BMR is lower as you get older. From what I've seen this seems to be people's problem, they think that (for the most part) they can do what they did when they were younger and it'll just work out the same. It just doesn't work out that way. At least for me it hasn't.

I will also say that I had to change my mindset. To me it's not dieting and losing weight. To me those are temporary things. I looked at it as a lifestyle change. For me it's a bit like when I graduated from school and joined the workforce. My lifestyle changed. I will say though that having a can do attitude helps. Also remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I haven't been a member long, but in talking to people about wieght loss and such, a lot of people seem to want a quick solution. I can't say that I think people can be successful with that mindset.

To me it's all about changing your lifestyle in the long term. It's hard to go slow and slowly see results, but i think it's worth it in the end,

exactly! I feel like if you think you're body doesn't change from 19 yrs to 40yrs old you are in denial. you body changes, slows down as you age. that is a known fact. but it's about changing your mindset. just because i can't say jump rope like i used to doesn't mean I quit working out all together. but it's good to listen to my body and adjust to what I can do.
  • neverquit33
    I eat basically the same thing every day! Only I have one cheat meal on the weekend. Seems to work for me :)

i just started doing that last week. eating the same breakfast and lunch everyday but i changed it up this week. some think its boring but i feel like i can better track my calories and get into a habit of know what portion sizes is suppose to look like. so far I've lost 2 lbs. :)
  • neverquit33
    Mfp is very helpful to my journaling and staying balanced. I am also beastly in the gym. Feel free to chwck out all 5 of my meals. I tend to eat high protein, lowish carbs. I weigh 111 lbs at 5foot 5 inches. I have children. I actually was heavier prior to kids!

awesome! i have noticed journaling helps me alot too. the minute i stop i gain the weight back. I do like the high protein meals. thank you for the invite. i'm always open to new ideas. :)
  • neverquit33
    Hey, I'm your age, and have some of the same issues!

It's true, it sucks not being able to do the jumpy stuff that really get things moving. I too find cardio hard to manage - never sure if I'm pushing too easy (because whoo boy have I felt it going too much the other way. Even with something basic like 30 mins on a rowing machine. Now I stop the minute things don't feel right). Can only advise switching up machines every time, and taking as much recovery as you need.

I have a few low-impact sequences I do at home to try to get the heart rate up. Eg:
    - burpees (not jumping though - walk out, but do it fast)
    - 10 high knees & get down, & get up again, that's one rep
    - kicks all kinds. bodyweight squats + kicks, lunges with kicks, roundhouse kicks, front/side/back kicks (=1 rep). Kicks in between everything else. Basically kick as much as possible
    - swiss jacknife
    - kettlebell or dumbbell swings
    - Step-ups on a chair are good too if you can do them (I can't now :( really sad bc I loved those).

If you alternate 1 min of each of those with 1 min of 'calmer' calisthenics (eg pushups, planks, glute bridges/hip thrusts - these are like your 'rest' periods) it turns into a decent interval-type workout. Do it 2-3 times in a row and I guarantee a good sweat.

I'm gonna try this! Thank you for sharing. :)

No worries - hope you enjoy! Arthritis is a beetch.

hahaha!! yes it is but I just put on my brace and jump rope 2x a week. I love that workout!
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Each decade it gets harder as your body changes. Having a strong foundation/good habits is what I am telling my girls. I've noticed losing weight in my 20's was a piece of cake, 30's harder now mid 40's even harder (stupid roller coaster of gaining/losing weight). It is a life long decision.

Just keep the confidence up and never stop working at it. Most of us have to work at it.

My own goal is to try for the 1/2 marathon next year as my oldest ran it this year. I plan on staying with her and breaking 2 hours.