Bathrooms...open door policy?

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    To pee? open, unless my rommate's boyfriend is over. longer visits? Closed.

When I'm at home with my parents? Open; growning up we weren't allowed to close and lock doors. My parent: "I had you. I changed your diapers. You've pissed, puked, pooed on me. You have nothing I haven't seen before. Why are you closing the door?" So I don't care if the door is opened or closed. My mom will have entire conversation with me while she's using the bathroom. You know that sceen from the movie "Friday" where the dad calls the son into the bathroom to talk while he's pooping? Yep, that was my house growning up.
    You weren't allowed any privacy? That's really wrong.

Pretty much. My parents said "you can have privacy when you have your own place." They were a bit more lenient the older we we're but for the most part closed doors with a lot of children (there's 10 of us combined) meant that somebody was doing something they had no business doing! Open doors meant it was easier to spot check everyone without interrupting what they were doing.

yeah, we had 6 kids and doors were always open. Bathroom, bedroom, etc, one house we had our parents room was the den, so there wasnt even a door on their room. now that im married, door closed always, esp during TOM and poo.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Closed, I have a shy bladder. I also don't need my boy barging in when I dropping a deuce.

He's not shy at all, though. Pee, poop, whatever, all with the door open. It's awesome being six.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Closed, closed, closed.

My partner and I have a very strict rule that we will NEVER watch each other pee - it's a relationship ruiner. Ditto farts. Burps are a little different, but nothing coming out the business end.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Peeing I don't care about but if your doing the other, the door should be closed.

This.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/open-door-policy

What do AJ Jacobs and his facebook followers think of it?...Here's the link.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'll have the rare important conversation with my wife, but if it's not important... gtfo. I'm the rare parent of a toddler that doesn't have to deal with tiny fingers under the door when I'm on my throne... I lock my bedroom door, and the bathroom door to avoid that :bigsmile: It's my only place of peace, and I WILL have it be peaceful.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    At home w/ hubby & kid, I usually don't shut it with quick visits, but longer ones, it gets shut and locked, because my 8 year old STILL will walk right in on you. And if it's locked, he's outside shouting, "MOMMY!" I rarely get any peace.
    The kid is like me w/ his habits. Hubby leaves the door open no matter what he's doing in there. Not a big fan.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    My fiance and I have been together almost a decade. Needless to say we will have full on conversations with one another while one is using the bathroom.

Besides, if I close the bathroom door, it upsets the cat, so.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Closed... with the heat on... and others trapped inside.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Open, but only because I live on my own.

There are some risks with that approach, however. One early morning I walked in, left the door open, started doing my business and didn't remember my parents were visiting until they showed up in the doorway! Luckily, they've both seen me in much worse states of undress and sanitation back when they were changing my diapers, so they weren't TOO freaked out.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Open if alone - the animals HATE closed doors.
    Closed if I have company - they can distract the animals from the closed door! :laugh:
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both close and lock the door. If either one is showering, it's unlocked, but still closed. We've lived together for about a year now.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit off topic and irrelevant since the OP said that mom's don't count, but I was in the shower shaving my lady bits the other day and my 3 kids and 2 neighbor kids, mixed sexes, between the ages of 5 and 11, came barging in. I was like "get the flip out of here! Do you want me to go to prison?!"
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Opened, for some reason the exact moment I have to use the bathroom is the moment my kids/SO needs to chat me up about something.
    Also the dog follows me to the bathroom, sits on the carpet and watches me. Really freaking odd. If he follows me in and I happen to close the door, he whines and scratches at it. Til I open it up again....and then returns to his position on the carpet to watch.
    If by some miracle I manage to shut it, it is never locked. I gave up on privacy long ago...
  • DirtyHammer
    DirtyHammer Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit off topic and irrelevant since the OP said that mom's don't count, but I was in the shower shaving my lady bits the other day and my 3 kids and 2 neighbor kids, mixed sexes, between the ages of 5 and 11, came barging in. I was like "get the flip out of here! Do you want me to go to prison?!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny!
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Peeing I don't care about but if your doing the other, the door should be closed.

Yea if it's just peeing I don't care. My husband pees in the back yard for goodness sake. Now if he has a turd brewing then he better close the door and turn on the fan!!

More rules:

1. no farting in the shower while I am in there with you Something about the steam makes it smell way worse. It clings to the tile!
    2. If I am in the shower he better not come in and start pooping.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If it's #1, I don't care too much who's around. When you're a girl who likes to do outdoorsy things, you need to come to terms with peeing in front of God and everyone. I'll try to find privacy if I can but it's not always possible or practical (climb through the brush and risk ticks - um, no thanks). I think the worst was while ice fishing with no porta-potty or bushes to hide behind. As they say, when you gotta go, you gotta go!

#2 is a whole 'nother story though. I need some privacy for that or it won't happen and I'll be even more full of **** than usual. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if its yellow let it mellow if its brown close the door
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Do you prefer bathroom door open or closed while you're doing your business?

What about when others are in there doing their business?

Free Pass to stay-at-home moms who have toddlers to watch or in the middle of potty training, I'm talking more about adults here.

Just curious.......do stay-at-home moms not count as adults??? What if they are over, say, 17.....adults then?
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Cloooosed. I don't wanna hear it OR smell it. Nasty :noway: