Can there be to much calorie defict?

Options
So MFP has me down for about 1400 calories a day to lose weight, fine.

However according to MFP I also burn about 500 calories in the excersise I have to do each day.
(I cycle to get to work and back because I dont drive yet)

This give me a new total of 1900 calories a day before I start to think about doing any extra excersise that I enjoy.

I was not planning to eat back that 500 calories or any other that I burn off but is it to much to of a defict?

The numbers seen huge should I be eating back some of it?

Some more info to help people out I dont want to lose muscle I desperatly need muscle as my job can be very phsically demanding requiring me to haul around 15kg sacks of feed etc

I am set as lightly active - on my feet most of the day

I goal is not really to lose weight I dont care what the scales say I want to be more toned / defined, less jiggly XD

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The MFP plan includes the calorie deficit you need to lose the weight you input. So follow the plan.

Edit: This means eating to the calorie level indicated by the app.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the amount can be quite different for everyone, and will depend on macros, type of exercise, BF%, etc. In general the larger your deficit is the more muscle you will lose as you lose weight as a % of the weight loss.

Things you can do to lose less muscle, is a smaller caloric deficit, heavy lifting strength training routine, and adequate protein intake.

So if your goal is fat loss, the smaller the deficit the better.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Absolutely there can be too much. If you do not eat back those exercise calories, you'll be netting 900 calories per day.
    Sure, you'll lose weight in the beginning, but some will be in the form of muscle. And then you'll start feeling sluggish, and cold, and cranky.. then the scale will stop and you'll be back posting, trying to figure out why you can't lose weight.

You have a small amount to lose, so your deficit should be smaller. Did you factor in your bike rides when choosing your activity level? You should be set to Active, in the very least, and then eat back any additional exercise you do (if you set yourself as Active or higher, I'd be hesitant to log the bike as exercise, as it's daily activity).
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is designed you are supposed to eat your calories back. Be warned, however, that MFP vastly overestimated calories burned, so you probably should assume you burn half of what it tells you.

MFP is also designed for you to eat back your calories - a deficit is already in the goal, adding exercise makes your deficit larger than necessary, so its important to eat them back.

And yes, there is a such thing as too large a deficit. Since you only want to lose 14 lbs, your deficit should be modest. A person who has a significant amount of weight to lose can do fine on deficits of 1000 calories or more - for a period of time.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    if you're hungry then eat. don't stuff yourself. generally, as long as you are netting 1200, it's fine. personally I find there are just some days i'm not hungry enough to go over 1000. (my experience is not me saying everyone is like myself nor that it is healthy) listen to your body and it will tell you if you can handle all or just some.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Most people here are strict purists - you *must* eat back your calories.

I'm ornery and I prefer to listen to my body. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat them back. If I am, I do.
  • wolfspeaker9
    wolfspeaker9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I am asking is everyone that knows me says I eat when I am bored and I am sure I do so half the time I have no idea if I am hungry or just looking for something to do and choosing to eat XD
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have a deficit large enough that your aren't getting all of your nutrition...i.e. your vitamins and minerals, but also enough healthy fats and protein. The biggest issue here is malnutrition. There are plenty of threads if you search in RE to people losing their hair, losing their periods, etc with too big a weight loss deficit.

Also, MFP is a NEAT method calculator. You need to do a little research on the tool and that method of weight loss. A NEAT method calculator assumes no exercise in you activity level...so any exercise is extra and needs to be fueled. Not to be confused with the TDEE method which does include exercise in your activity level and thus you would not eat back those calories. You need to understand the method you're using...if you're using MFP as intended, you're using the NEAT method...eat back most of those calories....also, I guarantee you that you got fat eating way more than 1900 calories.

It all really comes out 6 of 1. When I did MFP my weight loss goal was 1,850 net calories (to lose 1 Lb per week)...with my exercise, that usually came out to around 2100-2200 calories. When I switched to the TDEE method which included my estimated exercise activity, my TDEE - 20% (to lose 1 Lb per week) was 2,150...so pretty much the same.

One thing you definitely have to be careful of is overestimation of burn. Most data bases are pretty off...machines are a little better...HRMs are a little better than that...still, it's all estimation. When I did MFP, I shot for at least 50% of my exercise calories back and as much as 70% to account for estimation error. I always ate back something though unless it was a nominal exercise session or just walking less than a couple miles or whatever...but if I was doing anything intense, I ate back those calories. Don't get sucked into logging vacuuming the house and what not...that's just stupid, but people do it.

I know there's an impulse to try and drop weight quickly, but all you're going to do is lose a lot of muscle along with your fat and then look like **** when you're done.
  • wolfspeaker9
    Options
    Ah seems I need to do alot more reading then and to not skimp on the noodles with my stirfry tonight XD

I would greatly appreciate any links people could post for things I need to read I feel so far in the deep end I dont know where to begin!
  • wolfspeaker9
    Options
    Also how do I convince myself to eat that many calories? and what are the healthy ways to eat them back?

Sure I could just eat chocolate etc but it feels so wrong I can't bring myself to do it ><
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Also how do I convince myself to eat that many calories? and what are the healthy ways to eat them back?

Sure I could just eat chocolate etc but it feels so wrong I can't bring myself to do it ><

Preplan your day! Add a little more to your serving size, if you can..
    Me, I love being able to eat more!!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Here is another math problem that is part of the answer...

Each pound of body fat can only release 31.4 calories per day. So you take your BF% against your total weight and come up with how much fat you have then multiply that by 31.4. If you have a deficit greater than that number, it cannot come just from fat and you are guaranteed to lose some lean body mass. You will actually lose some LBM even below that number; it just can't be helped. But above that number there is no way to make the math work.

ETA - getting proper nutrients was covered in other posts. This is a different component of the answer, not a different answer.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I eat around 1900 a day with no problem. :smile: Diary is open if you want to have a look.

You can get more cals without stuffing your face with junk food - avocados, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, use coconut oil & olive oil in cooking & dressings, etc. These food pack good healthy cals in small portions, and help get you to goal.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I told to eat back some of the exercise calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Maximum calorie deficit is 31.4 x pounds of body fat. If you exceed this, your body will be forced to take those calories from lean mass.