Replies

• ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    really interesting thread ! :flowerforyou:
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I took one of those free nutrition courses on coursera.org where the author of the book these photos gave a 2 part presentation on his book. Some things he explained.

1) The book has been out for years. After looking at their picture in the book, the American family realized they needed to make changes in their diet and collectively lost some weight together and changed their diet.

2) There were 2 other USA families pictured in the book. One was a Hispanic family from San Antonio, but their photo wasn't as bad as the one that gets passed about the internet as the "typical" American diet. Still pretty bad though because the father got free pizzas from the pizza chain he worked at, although the pizzas were on the back counter less prominently displayed.
    http://killingbirdswithstones.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/peter-menzel-hungry-planet-what-the-world-eats-america-2.jpg?w=1200&h=
    The other was that 80's-ish looking picture--and for all you judgey people of the Midwest, that family is from California. :tongue: The book took years to compile so yes it is a very old picture.

3) Greenland has one of the worst diets. There is very little fresh vegetables or fruit available in their climate, so they are forced to eat prepackaged foods and animal meats such as whale and seal. The photographer noted that shortly after the picture of the family was taken, the father of the family had a stroke, which occur at higher rates in Greenland. The family was not overweight, and in fact the father was a physically active man who went out dog sledding for work.
    http://killingbirdswithstones.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/peter-menzel-hungry-planet-what-the-world-eats-greenland.jpg?w=1200&h=

4) There were two families from China pictured. One from rural China and one from the city. The urban China family has a large part of a table covered with items from KFC--the teenage son loves KFC and eats it regularly. A new KFC opens in China EACH DAY. China loves KFC. It will be interesting to see their obesity numbers as years go on.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I see corn flakes seem to be a staple in most homes. Oh and Coke.

Exactly!

I agree, but there are also many more fruits and veggies in the homes where coke and corn flakes are a staple.

You are correct. My comment of "exactly" had more to do with branding and globalization. And actually, it is likely that Corn Flakes and Coke are not in fact "staples" in those households, but instead are more like treats (just speaking from experience living abroad for a few years). I think where people in North America (or anywhere) go wrong with things like Coke is that rather than treating them as a once in a while indulgence, it is drunken in place of water.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time believing some of these are only one week's worth of food. I've been staring at the American one(s), trying to piece together what I'm seeing and figure out what everyone must be eating & in what quantity in order to use some of this stuff up in only seven days. It makes me think part of the point of these photos is the incredible amount of waste in first-world countries, rather than just "LOL Americans eat a lot." I'd bet anything that a lot of the food in some of the more overstuffed photos -- the US in particular -- is simply thrown away. I guess it's easier for us to buy too much pre-made and throw out what we don't use... whereas some of the other countries clearly only purchase/harvest exactly what they need and waste absolutely nothing.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time believing some of these are only one week's worth of food. I've been staring at the American one(s), trying to piece together what I'm seeing and figure out what everyone must be eating & in what quantity in order to use some of this stuff up in only seven days. It makes me think part of the point of these photos is the incredible amount of waste in first-world countries, rather than just "LOL Americans eat a lot." I'd bet anything that a lot of the food in some of the more overstuffed photos -- the US in particular -- is simply thrown away. I guess it's easier for us to buy too much pre-made and throw out what we don't use... whereas some of the other countries clearly only purchase/harvest exactly what they need and waste absolutely nothing.

Could be. But keep in mind that portions also tend to be much larger in American restaurants than elsewhere in the world, so I would think some families might eat similar portions at home.
  • Rashmi_mishra
    Rashmi_mishra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting - Thanks for sharing. Along with nutrition insights across the globe - the economic disparity is clearly visible! Chad and Mali broke my heart .
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options

A self-built straw ball home? Doesn't the average Canadian live in an igloo :P In all seriousness that is not your typical Canadian lifestyle.

I checked out the link. The Canadian family is from Iqaluit. So their food costs are probably significantly higher than the rest of Canada. It's also funny how the "bad" stuff is hidden further away on the counter behind them.

I'm pretty sure me and Hubs made the exact same joke at the exhibit LOL

And I lived in YT for a while, beautiful, but man! Was produce ever expeeeeeensive! Don't get me started on housing lol I can't imagine what it would be like in NT. This family is likely doing very well for themselves.

I think I may have found the other Canadian family here
    http://www.123inspiration.com/hungry-planet-what-the-world-eats-in-a-week/

I've read about how expensive things in the North can be and it is staggering. Something really needs to be done (and all the things I read about the First Nations/Inuit living there and their poor living conditions is just horrible. It's embarrassing to think that this happens in Canada but I digress). This family seems to be doing well for themselves. To feed their family $392 a week whereas the other Canadian family in the link you sent lives in Gatineau and spends $158/week. What a huge difference!

It just shows the huge disparity between families and regions in Canada. My family budgets about $300 a week (we live in the GTA).
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by all the boxed packaged food items and processed foods in America and other countries. Everything in moderation as long as you are in a good healthy range weight. For me shopping at the grocery store, I typically stay away from the middle isles as this is the fat trap. I enjoy good quality ingredient and natural process state. Sure I love pizza, cakes and cookies all in moderation. You are what you eat!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at how much in the pictures I would not consider "food" (coke, chips, etc.)
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great post - thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and admit that I buy that "American" quantity of food every week, not that same food...mine tends to be on the healthier side, especially now. That doesn't include much in the way of meat purchases either as we typically buy our beef and pork on the hoof and have at least 1 deer in the freezer. However, I have 2 teenaged male athletes in my house (much like that American family)...have you ever seen just how much food a teenaged boy can consume? They burn so many calories practicing their sports that they need to replenish, plus they're growing at unheard of rates. I don't think we're gluttons, but we have the means to buy the food we want and the kids need, so we do.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That German family sure drinks a lot of beer! :laugh: ????????????????????????
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This seems fairly accurate. And goes to show how bad processed foods actually are.

That being said, there is a huge variation in how often people eat out / in restaurants. A lot of Americans get a lot of extra calories from cheap takeout/fast food. The French eat healthy in restaurants too, but that's also where they get most of their wine. In Germany it's not as common to eat out.

As a Scandinavian I was really hoping for an example from North Europe too!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I live in the US.. and my shopping has never been like that.. even when I was fat. I haven't drank soda in like 5 years if not longer.. (well.. maybe 1 or 2 glasses in that time.. maybe...)

I just like triple portions of the foods.. lol..

After seeing these pictures.. I want to go have dinner with the German family.. :~p

ETA: I don't think the American family overbought by much.. i have a teenage boy.. and it's amazing how much he eats.. When he's not here my food consumption is about a quarter of what it is when he is here..I do buy some junk for him.. but not much. He eats mostly healhty fruits and veggies the same as I do... he just eats about 4 times as much of them.. Plus I make him a lot of rice and potatoes that I dont' eat..
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Anyone stop and think there is a reason Americans tend to choose pre-packaged, processed foods OTHER than they simply do not know any better? Maybe it's the cost of living here. Maybe it's because of the rate of single parent households. Maybe it's the fact that even as a 2 parent household... both parents still maintain 1-2 full time jobs. Canadians have a baby and take the whole year off. Americans have a baby and (speaking from experience) may have to be back at work the very next WEEK! If we were more like other countries in that regard, perhaps we would make the same food choices and be able to prepare more meals from home. Just a thought. It's not always from laziness and over-indulgence.

I don't know what you mean by cost of living. The cost of food is WAY lower in the US than it is in Scandinavia, Germany or France. The cost of living is also a lot lower unless you live in NYC or LA.
    I'm from Norway, and our general obesity rate, with the world's most expensive food, is overall 10% against 28,5% in the US. Salaries are higher, but food is still disproportionally expensive.
    China has approx the same amount of single households as the US, yet their obesity rate is less than 5%.

I don't think costs or politics are to blame. I'm not sure exactly what causes the obesity i the US, but it's rooted deep into the culture.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    looks more like a month worth of food.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how little meat there is in these pics. To me that just does not seem realistic. I also did not realize it was a weeks worth of food I thought it was more.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    looks more like a month worth of food.

That was my thought as well.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll be the first person to say that our food used to look exactly like that first American family. Tons of take out (burgers and hoagies for lunch and Chinese & pizzeria food for dinner) and what meals were prepared at home always included a can, box, jar or packet of some sort with lots of chips and soda inbetween.

Maybe this site attracts a more health conscious segment of the population but from what I could see our diet seemed to be the norm. Cooking from scratch like I do now is seen as a bit weird and eccentric. Certainly people think it's too time consuming -- even something as simple as mixing up your own seasonings and spice mixes instead of buying a packet of taco seasoning or something people will tell me they don't have the time for "all of that".