New to low carb... Any tips?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just checked this group and it's not the right one for anyone doing the 17day diet. The 17day diet allows for carbs such as fruit and veggies then later for complex carbs like brown rice and oatmeal etc.
    It says "Any low carbers welcome! Whether you are on 20g per day- or 120g per day, Paleo /Primal /south beach/ Atkins/ PCOS controlling diet or just trying to cut down on refined carbs- Welcome! "

Yes I saw that but based on my opinion it's more for very low carbs as most of the topics are on excluding them almost totally and talking about "induction" etc. The 17 day diet is not about excluding them ( you do exclude refined one's yes) but it's about getting good carbs in and bad carbs out. There are other groups out there better suited for this eating plan.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Some of you are very harsh in your criticism of anyone doing low carb. Unless you know the persons medical history you are in no position to judge. The poster didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea, she asked for tips. How would you feel is someone posted you should not be eating any processed food or simple carbs?

I have a health condition and do low carb. My lab results last month were perfect across the board. My total cholesterol is 113 and I sure didn't have that eating carbs.

Everyone's body is different and it takes different eating plans to lose weight. Please don't judge. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute, please reconsider posing critical comments.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My tip would be not to do it ;) Just follow a healthy eating plan tracking with MFP there is no need to restrict or avoid certain food groups unless medically recommended.

This. I eat a LOT of carbs, and it has not slowed my progress at all.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some of you are very harsh in your criticism of anyone doing low carb. Unless you know the persons medical history you are in no position to judge. The poster didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea, she asked for tips. How would you feel is someone posted you should not be eating any processed food or simple carbs?

I have a health condition and do low carb. My lab results last month were perfect across the board. My total cholesterol is 113 and I sure didn't have that eating carbs.

Everyone's body is different and it takes different eating plans to lose weight. Please don't judge. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute, please reconsider posing critical comments.

Most people doing "low carb" are not doing it for a valid medical reason. There's no indication that the OP is being placed on "the 17 day diet" by a physician.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do not know the 17 day diet but I have been following the TNT Diet plan since March and have been consistently losing weight.

I originally lost a lot of weight using just MFP, counting calories and exercising. Then that stalled, I became complacent and weight started coming back on. So I went for a no carb "boost" and decided I like it so much im sticking with it.

As far as tips,
    1. Vegetables are your friends! I bring in peppers and celery to snack on throughout the day, no carbs and I really enjoy the crunch personally. Lunch i always have a big salad.

2. Protein is your friend! Fat is also a good buddy...

3. Eggs are the perfect food, give you protein and fat, taste great too! Plus Eggs and Bacon!!!

4. Dont bother counting the calories, just focus on keeping carbs out and eating until satisfied.

5. If you are not already doing so start looking into a weight lifting program... these diets with the high amounts of protein are great for building muscle! Take advantage of that

6. You will lose the crave for sweets... well I did for the most part. I can now easily pass up desserts or even good bread. But it will take a couple days to get past the initial want! Be strong

good answer my friend

Although I don't know what the 17 day diet is, I'm low carb. I love lifting heavy, and not a huge fan of cardio. I don't find low carb that hard. I did get the carb flu for about a week and a half, and that sucked, but I pushed through and I'm finally starting to see results. I don't see low carb as a fad diet, I see it as "this is it for the rest of my life"...I'm ok with that, if it means I'm going to be healthy. I have 1 carb day (usually saturdays) and Sunday I bust my *kitten* a little bit extra. I love that i can have full fats and tons of protein. I don't eat any fruits, but load up the veggies at every meal, and I make sure to take a multi-vitamin because I'm allergic to all dairy. Good luck! Try your best!
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is stupid. Just another crash diet. I say take a step back and reevaluate your plan.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    MFP has your carbs figured out for you, which by societies opinion would be lower than desired.
    I am on a 1330 calorie diet and I watch my carbs eating smartly the healthier carbs, for examples: whole grains,
    legumes, and those that are in fruits and vegetables. You needs healthy carbs, not empty carbs for fuel and optimal body health.
    There is plenty on Google if you type in Low Carb foods. Pick what you like and apply it toward MFP and your calories and you will loose.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This is stupid. Just another crash diet. I say take a step back and reevaluate your plan.

Again psh unless you have done it, researched it, read the book or even read the comments made by the posters who have done it and read the material etc this is mute.

Again this is why this site says please consult a docotr as the members and staff her are not medically trained.

According to my doctor this eating plan has helped lower my cholesterol, helped me loose excess weight and made me a healthier person all around as it not only got me eating better with whole grains and less processed foods and she is glad I found it because now I don't need medication for my cholesterol.:grumble:
  • curlybrowngirl
    curlybrowngirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Americans overeat bread, processed, starchy and sugary foods. Eating low carb has taught me that there isn't a quick fix in a box and to eat whole foods. Eventually, I realized that I almost TOTALLY stay on the perimeter at the grocery store. The only time I have to go to the inside aisles are to get seasonings and oils.

I've applied my own personal approach by focusing primarily on my sugar intake and keeping my net carbs below 50 daily. I primarily eat beef, chicken, fish and shellfish. I have had a severe iron deficiency so I try really hard to get beef in at least twice a week. For breakfast I almost always eat two eggs cooked various ways, I eat an all vegetable salad for lunch and I eat 1-2 servings of meat for dinner (depending on my hunger) along with another vegetable. I also throw in a few cherries or something to snack on too. I don't understand why anyone would think that eating THIS way is bad. Vegetables and fruits have plenty of carbs. I don't need all of those breads and starches. They made me sluggish!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat, it will just come from muscle glycogen and water which is temporary. (Compared to a normal diet consisting of the same amount of calories)(Assuming that in the normal diet you're hitting proper macronutrient ratios)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat, it will just come from muscle glycogen and water which is temporary. (Compared to a normal diet consisting of the same amount of calories)(Assuming that in the normal diet you're hitting proper macronutrient ratios)

No.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options

No.
    thought you were a fellow IIFYM'er?
  • jonnythan
    Options

No.

We're not on a team or something. We're not competing in The Diet Wars together for the Layne Norton Cup or something.

What you said is nonsensical and wrong.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options

No.

We're not on a team or something. We're not competing in The Diet Wars together for the Layne Norton Cup or something.

What you said is nonsensical and wrong.
    ]i wasn't implying we were, just figured you thought along the same lines that a keto diet isn't more successful for fat loss than a iifym type
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

No.

Just because someone eats one way, it doesn't make the others wrong. Low carb diets lose fat. Yes, initially some weight is water, but definitely not all.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started doing a low carb (following 17 Day Diet) for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice/wisdom?

I have some. Don't bother. Do you have a pre-existing condition that is forcing you to go low carb?
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

No.

It's not some magic wand or some trick. Many successful low carbers lose significant weight from fat. Having as much protein in a typical HFLC diet can help avoid the typical muscle loss that is reported from a typical low fat diet.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it. Carbs taste great but dont make you feel as good.

However 17 days of low carb you are going to see the weight come back with a vengence and there is nothing you can do about it if you stop after 17 days. It has to be a long term change.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options

No.

It's not some magic wand or some trick. Many successful low carbers lose significant weight from fat. Having as much protein in a typical HFLC diet can help avoid the typical muscle loss that is reported from a typical low fat diet.
    . Did I imply that low carbers will not lose weight? If so point where please. My point was it won't be any more successful that a plain deficit diet with a decent macronutrient setting. Nowhere did I say keto doesn't allow one to lose fat. Point being most would rather eat more carbs and lose weight than less carbs. Keto really stands out for people who already have low bodyfat and need to take it to the next level
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Obviously, I'm not a person...I'm a pond!