Weight Lifting for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :wink: I am thanks Apollo I will be SURE to send you my results too, thanks for being one of THOSE types of motivators :o)

i do what i can.
    touche sir
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can have pretty good results in four months. I did. You can see my progress here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026899-lifting-it-does-a-body-good
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump for the sites I'd like to look at later as I've just started Stronglifts.

Good luck with your journey ridum and congrats :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You can make some pretty good progress in 4 months.

I have to agree here. My body looks completely different now from when I started lifting back in February.

You CAN lift heavy and effectively at home, with dumbbells, as others have said. It's what I do. I follow a program called All Pro's (link in my profile), and just used dumbbell-modified lifts (the program as written is for bar).

Diet is key - track everything, get plenty of protein (1g/lb lean body mass), enough fat (0.35g/lb total weight), and keep a modest deficit (maybe 15%).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    when I decided to compete for the first time, I only had 4 months to get ready, so it is very possible, depending on how far you want to take it and how determined and dedicated you are willing to be. Also, it is definitely about getting the body fat down, so nutrition is key.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    You can have pretty good results in four months. I did. You can see my progress here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026899-lifting-it-does-a-body-good
    fitandgeeky you look FABULOUS! Way to go lady! Your results speak volumes! Rock it girl!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Definitely all of those are great starting point!

You could also look at doing a 12 week program like Jamie Eason LiveFit, you can find it for FREE on bodybuilding.com. She really lays it out straight for you, it's for all levels, and comes complete with recommended meal plan.

I definitely think you can have some great results in 4 month if you follow a program for 12-16 weeks and eat clean!

Good luck and feel free to add for support!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Capt_Apollo, I said tone and tighten not miracles...take your hating to another thread:o) And I have been lifting and working out religiously, I am just considering UPPING my weights.

don't consider it. do it.

^This. And what Adini said.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    :smile:
    thanks girl I am going to check this out too!
    Definitely all of those are great starting point!

You could also look at doing a 12 week program like Jamie Eason LiveFit, you can find it for FREE on bodybuilding.com. She really lays it out straight for you, it's for all levels, and comes complete with recommended meal plan.

I definitely think you can have some great results in 4 month if you follow a program for 12-16 weeks and eat clean!

Good luck and feel free to add for support!!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to getting started lifting. I will be buying the New Rules of Lifting for Women book soon but I have been wondering: is it possible to do this with a home gym for a reasonable amount of money? I do not have a gym anywhere near my place and I don't own a car.

Yes - use your body weight. Do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, planks, whatever you can do without weights. If you buy "New Rules of LIfting", they tell you exactly what you need to buy for your home gym and it's very few items. Some weights, a swiss ball and a resistance band I think?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to getting started lifting. I will be buying the New Rules of Lifting for Women book soon but I have been wondering: is it possible to do this with a home gym for a reasonable amount of money? I do not have a gym anywhere near my place and I don't own a car.

Yes - use your body weight. Do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, planks, whatever you can do without weights. If you buy "New Rules of LIfting", they tell you exactly what you need to buy for your home gym and it's very few items. Some weights, a swiss ball and a resistance band I think?

If you don't have access to equipment (or while you are waiting to build your home gym) - look into Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting 3x per week I saw some amazing changes in 3 months. So just another voice here to add support... it CAN be done and i'm sure you'll do it!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning."

There are several different programs out there.

A few that are popular on MFP:

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Stronglifts 5x5
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

This. I stared New Rules but ended up on Stronglifts.
  • 0ctobre
    0ctobre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry for hijacking, I absolutely did not mean to!! Thank you for all the great tips and best of luck to OP, be sure to post wedding pictures :)