8 Amazing Fitness Facts You Ignored For Sure

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Insert heart attack here!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    #3 is no joke! 19 days without lifting over Christmas break and I've yet to regain my pre-vacation bench reps. I also went into a cut at the end of January, but was able to reach pre-vacation parity on other lifts (squats, deads, oh press, rows) before doing so. Will now need to wait until fall/winter bulk before getting bench levels back up. I'm cancelling Christmas this year.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    The huge amount of caffeine is known by pro-cyclists who would use caffeine suppositories to avoid the upper-GI distress. UCI limits the amount of caffeine in blood for this reason and having too much caffeine is considered "doping"

IIRC
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    #4 surprises me.
    #7 is interesting... 50%??? That's roughly 1000mg for me. That seems like a lot, but I have no idea.

Yeah it's a lot. The original article says 15 shots of espresso or something to achieve it. Who would do that?! :laugh:

Caffeine IV. STAT. :laugh:
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    #4 surprises me.
    #7 is interesting... 50%??? That's roughly 1000mg for me. That seems like a lot, but I have no idea.

Yeah it's a lot. The original article says 15 shots of espresso or something to achieve it. Who would do that?! :laugh:

I bet you could produce 50% more force after 15 shots of espresso. And you'd be able to fall asleep 3 days later.

i have had more than 15 shots of espresso in one day. (throughout the day) I can let you know... when you do fall asleep... expect to sleep hard from the crash!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I call bull on 8.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    The huge amount of caffeine is known by pro-cyclists who would use caffeine suppositories to avoid the upper-GI distress. UCI limits the amount of caffeine in blood for this reason and having too much caffeine is considered "doping"

IIRC

This is kind of awesome.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    2. When fasting for a long period (several days in a row, without eating ANYTHING), 30% of the weight loss is muscle loss.

Wow, that's rough. No wonder I still struggle from my severe fasting days to try and gain/maintain any muscle.
    3. Detraining (when you stop training) from resistance training for 2 weeks results on average in the loss of the performance acquired in 3 to 5 months of serious training. In aerobics (depending on studies/people) 8 weeks to 8 months are sufficient to lose ALL OF THE AEROBIC PERFORMANCE.

While this may be true, muscle memory also enables people who have trained extensively in the past to get back to peak or near-peak performance rather quickly following even years long breaks in training.
  • fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    6. The 3 standard (non-failure) sets or more do not provide more results than 1 single set to failure (muscle hypertrophy).

This interests me, I am trying to maximize the limited time I have available during the work week. Can anyone confirm this statement?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    #3 is no joke! 19 days without lifting over Christmas break and I've yet to regain my pre-vacation bench reps. I also went into a cut at the end of January, but was able to reach pre-vacation parity on other lifts (squats, deads, oh press, rows) before doing so. Will now need to wait until fall/winter bulk before getting bench levels back up. I'm cancelling Christmas this year.

Agreed. I took a break through December and I'm still playing catch up. So frustrating!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    4 is not suprising to me. What is suprising is that people do that for the sole effect of losing fat. I do it because I like the endorphen rush.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    6. The 3 standard (non-failure) sets or more do not provide more results than 1 single set to failure (muscle hypertrophy).

This interests me, I am trying to maximize the limited time I have available during the work week. Can anyone confirm this statement?

I agree. I want to look more into this one...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Yea, I do that too. But what does that have to do with how many calories I consume (eat)?

I am assuming it means your body consumes more calories during exercise and is not reference the calories you actually consume, ie eat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Yea, I do that too. But what does that have to do with how many calories I consume (eat)?

I am assuming it means your body consumes more calories during exercise and is not reference the calories you actually consume, ie eat.

That's how I interpreted it, too, particularly as it did say "effort"... and I assume they're not considering eating to be effort.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    In for Doogie

doogie_howser_md_290x400.jpg
  • Huebras
    Huebras Posts: 15 Member
    I call bull on #3. I've stopped lifting for 2-3 three weeks a few times and never lost any strength. Always picked back up where I left off. With that said, I've also stopped for a few months and HAVE seen a decrease in strength but I wouldn't say 3-5 months worth. I'm not what you would consider a serious lifter but I do work out a few times a week. Is #3 geared towards serious lifters?
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    love this! Tks!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    COFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member

That makes more sense. I suppose it could have been worded better, like maybe burn, expend, etc.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I call bull on #3. I've stopped lifting for 2-3 three weeks a few times and never lost any strength. Always picked back up where I left off. With that said, I've also stopped for a few months and HAVE seen a decrease in strength but I wouldn't say 3-5 months worth. I'm not what you would consider a serious lifter but I do work out a few times a week. Is #3 geared towards serious lifters?

Are you lifting to failure or just going in a doing some sets of 10 with a weight that isn't the max you can do? I ask because say you are use to doing 3 sets of 10 with 100 pounds. Your 1 rep max may be 150 pounds. If you take 3 weeks off and go grab 100 pounds and are still able to do your sets that doesn't mean you haven't lost any strength or that you would still be able to do your 1 rep max of 150 pounds. I am just throwing the weights out there as basic examples. Not lifting for 3 weeks most people will definitely lose some strength. I notice it when I miss a workout or 2 in a row.