Recovering

Options
I recently suffered fro mild anorexia and messed up my metabolism. I was never at an unhealthy weight. I had a 4-year-old's metabolism and a good BMI. But my mind told me otherwise. I gained back even more weight and am looking for a healthy way to shed the pounds. I'm looking for foods that will increase my lean muscle and boost my metabolism. So far I've found avocados, bananas, berries, chocolate milk, green tea, oranges. Any ideas?

Replies

• carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is you can reset your metabolism and get where ya want to go :-)
  • VariousTrends2
    Options
    Thanks, I'm really glad to hear that. At first I thought it was no use but I'm starting to see with a new eye.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I am also trying to get over an ED. It is the hardest thing ever. I think I can imagine what drug or alcohol recovery is like, because my ED recovery has made me moody!!! Also tired and sometimes being alone sounds good but ends up in exacerbating the issue. I try to surround myself with positives as much as possible. MFP has helped me by letting me see exactly what nutrients I am taking in and how many more I need each day. It shows me how much "wiggle room" I have with calories based on my weight and exercise.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've recovered from anorexia and bulimia and, unfortunately, haven't been able to "reset" my metabolism- even after four years. I eat a healthy and balanced vegetarian and occasionally vegan diet, and workout regularly now, but it is something that continues to affect me, even after the fact.

But, to answer your original question, I've found that raw vegetables- broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini... really, whatever vegetables you'll actually eat (most people don't eat enough veggies) and fruits- especially apples!- have helped me to lose weight after gaining more weight than I was comfortable with after recovering. Oatmeal is also amaaaazing. And tofu, but you have to cook or marinate it the right way or it's incredible bland and unpalatable.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your recovery! You can fix your metabolism so no worries. :)

Water, lemon, spinach, almonds, eggs, garlic, yogurt, oats, brussel sprouts, lima beans, cinnamon, cocoa, blueberries, tomatoes, flax, cottage cheese, sweet potato, ginger, fish, and apples are supposed to boost your metabolism.
  • VariousTrends2
    Options
    In response to Mamalea32, I'm really happy to see your posts. It's good to know someone feels for me and I support you fully. Thanks for your post and I also feels this helps with showing me how far I am from the line of healthy.
  • VariousTrends2
    Options
    To youngcaseyr, and tofu?, I never would've thought. I will definitely try that. I've also been going a few days a week with only vegetables and have found it's extremely helpful, not just for losing weight, but for overall health. I wish you the best and thanks :)

And I absolutely love oatmeal aswell :)
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I support you! Welcome. I went through a similar type of situation and am still recovering from it.
    Tofu is also awesome btw :D
    I've just tried experimenting with it.
    Feel free to add me!
  • VariousTrends2
    Options
    Pushyourself1, Thank you soooo, soooo much! I plan to implement everything on this list into my lifestyle. Thanks and I wish you lots of luck :)
  • VariousTrends2
    Options
    Kellyirisheye, Thank you for your support and I will most definitely add you, thx :) But how do you cook tofu? Is it just substituting a meat for the tofu? Have any recipes? I don't post much but I will keep in touch. :)