SQUATS?

Options
I have been doing 20 squats a day, do you know how long it would take for my butt to look nicer? Lol. Should I try doing 50 a day to speed up my nice booooty?

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    When 20 squats become too easy, do more squats. You should be increasing your workout so right now 20 might not be enough of a workout.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing more reps, squat with weight. That's what will build your booty quickest. I squat ~150 pounds.
  • steppphhhhanie
    Options
    Wow 150, I am so weak I don't even think I can do 20 pounds lol
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    add some lunges!
  • rhiannon737
    rhiannon737 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive started squatting with 45lbs recently and i can tell the difference already- its awesome! your not really going to get that far without weight unless youre doing looooads of reps
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wow 150, I am so weak I don't even think I can do 20 pounds lol

That's what I started with about 7 months ago :smile:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Look into doing New Rules of Lifting for Women! That'll help the ol booty ;)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Run hills! Find a hill with a decent incline. Then run to the top and back down. Repeat! Start small, 2 -3 reps once or twice per week. Add reps and frequency as it becomes easier.

I have no idea how this will help your booty! But, it will absolutely make you stronger! If you eat clean? I would expect that you will see definition in all of your lower body. Booty, hips, thighs & calves.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Squats are more for legs, particularly quads.
    Booty results better achieved with weights.
    Try dead lifts and/or Good Mornings with weight behind your neck
  • chunkadoo
    chunkadoo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone that says you should squat with weights! I'm squatting around bodyweight and I can see more of a lift in my tush!

Also RDLs and DLs are good booty builders too :)
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weighted squats. You'll see more progress in a shorter amount of time. I squat with a 45 lb barbell across my shoulders twice a week. 4 sets, 8 reps. When it becomes easy, I will increase my weight. Dead lifts and lunges are great too. Can't go wrong with the classics.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options

If squats aren't hitting your glutes, then you aren't going low enough. Squats will absolutely hit your glutes, and will only give you less impact than a deadlift if you're not going low or are doing a front bar.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options

If squats aren't hitting your glutes, then you aren't going low enough. Squats will absolutely hit your glutes, and will only give you less impact than a deadlift if you're not going low or are doing a front bar.

I said "more for". I did not rule out glutes in a squat. Always the trumping critics here. Thanks for reminding me why I stay away from the forums!
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    I said "more for". I did not rule out glutes in a squat. Always the trumping critics here.
    ATG Squats are probably the best exercise for your glutes. Your post (perhaps you should reread it) is readily construable as asserting that squats are a quad exercise and not optimal for your glutes.
    Thanks for reminding me why I stay away from the forums!

You're welcome? If you only come to the forums to give this kind of advice (telling an absolute beginner to do good mornings with a barbell, good call), maybe staying away is for the best.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not sure why all the fascination with squats.........I'd highly recommend lunges for toning and shaping. If just starting, you may want to begin with as little as 5 pounds
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hold a 5 or 10 lb weight in each hand and stand on a BOSU ball. I can do up to 125 squats standing on the floor, but my whole body starts to quiver on the BOSU! Most gyms have them or online for about $99 - very versatile strange little prop, and well worth investigating :tongue:
  • davideickelmann
    Options
    Not sure why all the fascination with squats.........I'd highly recommend lunges for toning and shaping. If just starting, you may want to begin with as little as 5 pounds

Carrying a 75 lbs dumbbell in each hand gets irritating through a set, a 300 lbs barbell isn't as bad. On top of that, some folks just don't like having an esoteric lunges moment.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    how does a lunge tone a muscle better than a squat?

Or how does a lunge tone anything for that matter??

Whats the difference between a shaped muscle fibre and one thats not shaped?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    how does a lunge tone a muscle better than a squat?

Or how does a lunge tone anything for that matter??

Whats the difference between a shaped muscle fibre and one thats not shaped?

this.

Squat...start with a 45 pound barbell.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Squats, if done properly, are fantastic for your glutes. Unfortunately too many people take their glutes out of the equation and use their quadriceps almost exclusively. If you are going low, and using your HIPS to push forward and squeezing your glutes hard at the lockout, then you're doing it right.