Can Diabetics Do Fasting Cardio?

Options
Just wondering how/if type 1diabetics on insulin do fasting cardio - I hear that doing cardio on an empty stomach will help burn fat better. This is due to our bodies having lower insulin levels (insulin being a fat storing hormone). I was thinking I'd like to try this BUT I don't know if it's worth it. It would probably make me have a low blood sugar and pass out. Are there ways around this though?

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your physician.

In my opinion, it isn't worth it. The majority of your fat burn will come AFTER you work out, so risking hypoglycemia seems unnecessary.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    a type one diabetic should ALWAYS eat something or have juice before exercise.. Low blood sugar is a dangerous result.....
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I believe the fasted cardio thing for burning more fat has been debunked but not 100% sure, ill check for sources if anyone is really interested.

But Barbara, If you stick to your diet and workout you'll lose the 10lbs, I don't see it taking more than 10 weeks, totally obtainable without advanced training methods
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'd be on the prowl for a dietician used to working with diabetic athletes, especially if you're type 1. That stuff is nothing to play around with.
  • acwenzel
    acwenzel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1 diabetic and could never fast and do any real exercise in the morning without some sort of carb intake. I also have to adjust my insulin before any cardio, i don't do spontaneous very well. If I was going to try anything like that i would stay home and do it so i could be safe. But for me once i went low i would re eat any cals i burnt anyway. I can eat way too many cals when i'm low.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Yup! Thanks for the comments! SO I will stick to my after supper cardio workouts. It's only about 2 times a week. Sometimes 3 times. I make sure to lift heavy 3 times for sure though.