Eating after 7pm

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My doctor said no eating after 8pm. I usually have a protein pudding or shake between 7 and 7:30pm

get a new DR
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    it depends on if you want to go into starvation mode or not ...

eating after 7pm will cause starvation mode = very bad...

Oh and the intestine shut down at 9pm....so don't drink water either....
    I can't tell if you are being serious.

thats for me to know and for you to determine my friend!
    I am sure now. You don't come off as a bro.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it depends on if you want to go into starvation mode or not ...

eating after 7pm will cause starvation mode = very bad...

Oh and the intestine shut down at 9pm....so don't drink water either....
    I can't tell if you are being serious.

thats for me to know and for you to determine my friend!
    I already knew the answer. I wasn't sure if you were trolling or being sarcastic.

bahahahahah little bit of both...sorry could not resist..I see this thread a lot...
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    My doctor said no eating after 8pm. I usually have a protein pudding or shake between 7 and 7:30pm

get a new DR
    Repped. I wanted to say this but I knew the whole "but he has an MD and you are just a person on the internet" discussion would come up so I didn't reply to her.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Depends on the timezone

:laugh:

I'm just now eating dinner... it is after 10pm. When I'm finished, I will eat the ice cream I planned into my day. Don't want to under-eat, after all! haha Doesn't matter what time you eat, so long as you are taking in adequate fuel for your body and work outs and meet your macros/ stay under calorie goal for weight loss. :wink: Don't sweat it if you need to eat late.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like to stop eating at 8:00 p.m. because I feel that I sleep a lot better, but I don't think it affects weight loss whatsoever.
  • ashleymm625
    Options
    i eat after 7 every night. there is nothing i could eat that would keep me full til bedtime! plus, getting done work at 8pm, i go home and workout then eat my dinner.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

My doctor gave me a prescription for my individual condition too.

What would your doc say to people that got up at 8pm because their shift started at 10pm?
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't follow that advice. If I workout after work, that means not even getting home until after 7pm, so that doesn't work for me. I think about when I was studying abroad in Spain, the family I lived with ate dinner really late, like around 9/10pm - and they were very thin and healthy, eating a Mediterranean diet. So I think it's more about what you eat (especially if you are facing a long period of inactivity, such as bed time), not specifically when you eat.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Depends on the timezone

I'm just now eating dinner... it is after 10pm. When I'm finished, I will eat the ice cream I planned into my day. Don't want to under-eat, after all! haha Doesn't matter what time you eat, so long as you are taking in adequate fuel for your body and work outs and meet your macros/ stay under calorie goal for weight loss. :wink: Don't sweat it if you need to eat late.
    But... but... but. It's after 10 p.m. It will all turn straight into fat even if you are in a 6000 caloric deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

get a new DR
    Repped. I wanted to say this but I knew the whole "but he has an MD and you are just a person on the internet" discussion would come up so I didn't reply to her.

real life has taught me that just because someone is a DR, lawyer, or financial expert does not mean they are a genius, in most instances they are morons....
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Oh and guys remember to eat "clean" foods.

windex.jpg
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    see #2 :)

FAD DIETS - DON'T BELIEVE THESE 10 DIET MYTHS
    Posted by Admin Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 1 comment

If your nutrition and weight-loss education comes mostly by way of fad diet books and magazine articles, you will believe 10 myths and to lose weight you need to get them out of your head.
    Fad diets don't work period - So if you believe any of the following you need to change your view to lose weight.
    1. Skipping meals helps you lose weight.
    No it does not! it makes you hungrier as it creates huger cravings and actually causes you to over eat. You need to eat 5 meals a day.
    2. Your metabolism is slower at night.
    Your metabolism doesn't slow down at night.
    This fad diet myth comes from the fact that most people eat a larger proportion of calories in the evening and if your metabolism slows down then when you sleep these calories will turn to fat!
    As your metabolism is not slower at night, it makes no difference when you eat - it's the overall calories consumed that cause the damage not the time of day their eaten that matters.
    3. Carbohydrates cause weight gain.
    This is perhaps the most common fad diet myth. This myth has been promoted by high-protein fad diets on the market.
    Carbohydrates are your body's premier source of fuel. The thing to keep in mind with cards is good and bad ones and eat the good ones is the
    Replace carbs with high sugar content (simple carbs) i.e biscuits and sweets with complex carbs: Fruit, vegetables whole-grain brown rice and cereal.
    Not eating carbs will make you sluggish and irritable.
    4. Lose weight is hard and a chore.
    Well many fad diets are! As they deprive you of foods you love, their therefore hard to stick with.
    Fact is we were never designed to be on fad diets. Dieting is all about balance and you can include any foods you love, but if there sugary or fat foods then you just need to eat them in moderation.
    5. Fat free foods that are calorie free.
    That low-fat label is by no means a license to over indulge
    Many low-fat products are loaded with sugar to as a substitute for the missing fat, which means they are just as high in calories as the sugar is simply turned into fat!
    6. No Snacks
    If you have time to eat 5 meals a day you won't probably want to snack, if it's three times a day a quick snack is a good idea.
    At the end of the day, its total calories consumed in a day that counts not how you eat them.
    A quick snack can help you stop overeating and keep your energy levels high.
    7. Fat is bad for you
    Fats are part of the natural food chain of humans and we all need a certain amount of fat to healthy, but we need good ones.
    Bad fats increase the risk for certain diseases and good fats lower the risk. The key is to make sure your eating the right fats.
    Fats that are actually healthy are referred to as "essential fatty acids." These fats are required for overall health and lower risk of heart disease.
    The reason oily fish is so good is that the essential fatty acids contained actually help your body burn fat more efficiently and protect against disease.
    8. Cholesterol is bad for you
    Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is made by the liver, we all need some blood cholesterol as it's used to build cells and form hormones.
    There is good and bad cholesterol.
    Saturated fats in foods such as meat, cheese, cream, butter help raise LDL (low density lipoprotein) 'bad' cholesterol.
    This then delivers cholesterol to the arteries. HDL (high density lipoprotein) - or 'good' cholesterol - transports cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver.
    Simply avoid this group or eat in moderation
    9. Dairy products make you fat.
    Combined with calorie control, a dairy-rich diet can nearly double body-fat reduction and help you lose weight longer term
    The reason is they contain the hormone calcitriol, which helps conserve calcium for stronger bones while sending a message to fat cells to convert less sugar to fat and burn more body fat.
    10. There is a short cut way to lose weight
    This is the myth promoted by all fad diets you can lose weight quickly and be healthy - No you cant. Our bodies are not designed to crash diet and fad diets sound easy but people end up being disappointed.
    The only way to lose weight is to do it slowly, with a balanced diet.
    Forget fad diets and lose weight the right way.

Read more: http://www.medimiss.net/2013/01/fad-diets-dont-believe-these-10-diet.html#ixzz2XI61pL7U
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Depends on the timezone

But... but... but. It's after 10 p.m. It will all turn straight into fat even if you are in a 6000 caloric deficit.

if you wait until 11pm the "fat fairy" comes and take all your body fat away and then you are good to go ....
  • Eandretta96
    Options

get a new DR

real life has taught me that just because someone is a DR, lawyer, or financial expert does not mean they are a genius, in most instances they are morons....
    In the end, they all use outdated studies anyways.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    see #2 :)

FAD DIETS - DON'T BELIEVE THESE 10 DIET MYTHS
    Posted by Admin Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 1 comment

If your nutrition and weight-loss education comes mostly by way of fad diet books and magazine articles, you will believe 10 myths and to lose weight you need to get them out of your head.
    Fad diets don't work period - So if you believe any of the following you need to change your view to lose weight.
    1. Skipping meals helps you lose weight.
    No it does not! it makes you hungrier as it creates huger cravings and actually causes you to over eat. You need to eat 5 meals a day.
    2. Your metabolism is slower at night.
    Your metabolism doesn't slow down at night.
    This fad diet myth comes from the fact that most people eat a larger proportion of calories in the evening and if your metabolism slows down then when you sleep these calories will turn to fat!
    As your metabolism is not slower at night, it makes no difference when you eat - it's the overall calories consumed that cause the damage not the time of day their eaten that matters.
    3. Carbohydrates cause weight gain.
    This is perhaps the most common fad diet myth. This myth has been promoted by high-protein fad diets on the market.
    Carbohydrates are your body's premier source of fuel. The thing to keep in mind with cards is good and bad ones and eat the good ones is the
    Replace carbs with high sugar content (simple carbs) i.e biscuits and sweets with complex carbs: Fruit, vegetables whole-grain brown rice and cereal.
    Not eating carbs will make you sluggish and irritable.
    4. Lose weight is hard and a chore.
    Well many fad diets are! As they deprive you of foods you love, their therefore hard to stick with.
    Fact is we were never designed to be on fad diets. Dieting is all about balance and you can include any foods you love, but if there sugary or fat foods then you just need to eat them in moderation.
    5. Fat free foods that are calorie free.
    That low-fat label is by no means a license to over indulge
    Many low-fat products are loaded with sugar to as a substitute for the missing fat, which means they are just as high in calories as the sugar is simply turned into fat!
    6. No Snacks
    If you have time to eat 5 meals a day you won't probably want to snack, if it's three times a day a quick snack is a good idea.
    At the end of the day, its total calories consumed in a day that counts not how you eat them.
    A quick snack can help you stop overeating and keep your energy levels high.
    7. Fat is bad for you
    Fats are part of the natural food chain of humans and we all need a certain amount of fat to healthy, but we need good ones.
    Bad fats increase the risk for certain diseases and good fats lower the risk. The key is to make sure your eating the right fats.
    Fats that are actually healthy are referred to as "essential fatty acids." These fats are required for overall health and lower risk of heart disease.
    The reason oily fish is so good is that the essential fatty acids contained actually help your body burn fat more efficiently and protect against disease.
    8. Cholesterol is bad for you
    Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is made by the liver, we all need some blood cholesterol as it's used to build cells and form hormones.
    There is good and bad cholesterol.
    Saturated fats in foods such as meat, cheese, cream, butter help raise LDL (low density lipoprotein) 'bad' cholesterol.
    This then delivers cholesterol to the arteries. HDL (high density lipoprotein) - or 'good' cholesterol - transports cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver.
    Simply avoid this group or eat in moderation
    9. Dairy products make you fat.
    Combined with calorie control, a dairy-rich diet can nearly double body-fat reduction and help you lose weight longer term
    The reason is they contain the hormone calcitriol, which helps conserve calcium for stronger bones while sending a message to fat cells to convert less sugar to fat and burn more body fat.
    10. There is a short cut way to lose weight
    This is the myth promoted by all fad diets you can lose weight quickly and be healthy - No you cant. Our bodies are not designed to crash diet and fad diets sound easy but people end up being disappointed.
    The only way to lose weight is to do it slowly, with a balanced diet.
    Forget fad diets and lose weight the right way.

Read more: http://www.medimiss.net/2013/01/fad-diets-dont-believe-these-10-diet.html#ixzz2XI61pL7U

number one is complete BS ...five meals has nothing to do with weight loss..and plenty of people do IF - skip breakfast - and have great results.
  • misssophieleigh
    misssophieleigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The time of day doesn't really matter. Your body doesn't know if it's 7pm or 8pm, only that it's time to sleep. Keep in mind that there are people who work night-shifts, and they lose weight just fine.
    Yes. I work 2nd shift, so instead of snacking between lunch and dinner like a normal person, I have my snack when I get home from work at midnight. As long as I'm sure to keep my portions small, losing weight shouldn't be a problem just because it's after 7 .
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eating after 7pm should only be only a consideration if you are diabetic. For instance, the type of insulin I use (Humalog Quik-Pen 75/25) was designed to last 12 hours and to have 1 shot before breakfast and 1 shot before dinner (12 hours apart),(25% is quick acting to cover the meal and 75% is slow acting to last 12 hours) so while staying on a schedule is important the 12 hour spread is crucial to maintain correct blood sugars. Personally, I tend to sleep in and stay up late so my shots are usually at 11am and 11pm. Otherwise, eat whenever you feel your hungry as there is no right or wrong answer to your question.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    i eat after 7 every night. there is nothing i could eat that would keep me full til bedtime! plus, getting done work at 8pm, i go home and workout then eat my dinner.

Same. Regardless of what I eat I'm not full by bedtime & actually have to stop myself at midnight. Like physically stop myself. Nights are the worst for me in regards of not eating. But I'm staying within goal so it's all good.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I work crazy shift work. Some over nights, some evenings, some mornings - all over the place!

I eat when I can. I typically stay up until 3am. So I will usually eat around 1am (lighter snack/supper) and it really hasn't stopped me none. I do know that I need food to workout. I will always eat a larger meal about an 1.5 hour before working out.