How much protein IS "too much"

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
per meal, I mean. I keep seeing "your body can only use so much protein at a time" but no one ever says HOW MUCH. So...?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    "It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are definitely dangers to eating too much protein. As the person above mentioned, your kidneys suffer from too much protein, especially protein from animal sources due to uric acid, a by-product of digesting animal protein. So try to increase your plant protein intake and decrease your animal protein intake. This will also help with cholesterol. If you are eating a lot of animal protein, your cholesterol will likely increase to unhealthy levels. You can add foods like quinoa and beans to your meals and decrease your meat, eggs, and dairy in your meals.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It would be an exercise in and of itself to consume the amount of protein daily that it would take to give you major problems, talking in upwards of 300+grams of meat a day. Most people on here have trouble breaking 100
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    "It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Didn't your teacher ever tell you that you're not allowed to cite wikipedia?
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wonder what our ancestors did with all that extra meat after hunting a mammoth when they realised that your body cant eat that much protein?
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also found this which lists WEIGHT GAIN, Reduced Liver and Brain Function, and High cholesterol:

"Your body can only use a certain amount of protein each day. If you take in too much protein, you may gain weight. Each gram of protein has 4 calories. If you take in 100 grams of protein, but your body can only use 50 grams of it, your body will store the extra 200 calories' worth of protein as fat. Doing this daily can cause you to take in 1,400 extra calories per week, resulting in a weight gain of almost 2 pounds per month." (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/three-problems-associated-much-protein-intake-6546.html)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No one really knows most healthy adults are able to compensate. Eat a varied diet,avoid excessive protein supplementation and there shouldn't be a problem.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I wonder what our ancestors did with all that extra meat after hunting a mammoth when they realised that your body cant eat that much protein?

Probably salted and dried it
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Also found this which lists WEIGHT GAIN, Reduced Liver and Brain Function, and High cholesterol:

"Your body can only use a certain amount of protein each day. If you take in too much protein, you may gain weight. Each gram of protein has 4 calories. If you take in 100 grams of protein, but your body can only use 50 grams of it, your body will store the extra 200 calories' worth of protein as fat.

Such nonsense. Protein is never stored directly as fat.

Doing this daily can cause you to take in 1,400 extra calories per week, resulting in a weight gain of almost 2 pounds per month." (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/three-problems-associated-much-protein-intake-6546.html)

Adding additional calories above and beyond your maintenance will cause fat gain. Not protein per se.
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have recently been researching this question myself and I have seen everything from 64 grams for a 180lb person such as myself all the way to 180 grams (given that is my weight and that some prescribe that you eat in grams of protein what you weigh or what you desire to weigh). Cutting calories AND getting much past the 64 takes a lot of thinking and meal planning for a vegetarian, at least in my case. I have lately been really trying and I rarely ever get past the 100g mark and when I do, I likely blow through my minimal calorie limit set my MFP. Sooooo, I'm just going to use some common sense here and say that as long as you are getting AT LEAST the minimum set by the .gov standards and perhaps as much more as you can fit in without blowing calorie limits, then no worries. I'm not a body builder, so I'm not going to try to get more than 100g daily. Honestly, if I get up to 80 and stay at or below 1200 cal., I feel pretty accomplished! :)
  • direjohnson
    direjohnson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    use a 35/30/35 carb/protein/fat split and/or keep your protein at 1g per pound of bodyweight.

it'll encourage you to make better food choices because you'll be eating things like lean chicken instead of stuffing your face with carbs all day
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

"Your body can only use a certain amount of protein each day. If you take in too much protein, you may gain weight. Each gram of protein has 4 calories. If you take in 100 grams of protein, but your body can only use 50 grams of it, your body will store the extra 200 calories' worth of protein as fat. Doing this daily can cause you to take in 1,400 extra calories per week, resulting in a weight gain of almost 2 pounds per month." (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/three-problems-associated-much-protein-intake-6546.html)

Scientific studies have shown that .82g/lb of body weight of protein a day provides optimal amino acid availability for muscle protein synthesis. Any protein consumed above this amount, at or below maintenance calories will be used as fuel for energy, but will not be stored as fat. Furthermore, your body will not store calories from any sources as fat unless you eat a caloric surplus
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    The Body can ONLY absorb 26 grams or less of "protein" per day. Everything else is waste! I put protein in quotations because there is No such thing as protein; there are aminos and someone came up with which ones THEY believe are essential. Protein is a Myth, and the need for it in great numbers are an even Bigger myth, this is one reason for so many diseases, EXCESS "protein" actually it is Excess food products that carry these aminos that the Body can not digest to get to the aminos...such as meats and dairy. Those excess food products can not be broken down by the Body so they just sit and cause damage. Ever heard that beef can stay in the intestines for yrs...TRUE. And guess what, it is just rotting there, a cancer waiting to happen.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    The Body can ONLY absorb 26 grams or less of "protein" per day. Everything else is waste! I put protein in quotations because there is No such thing as protein; there are aminos and someone came up with which ones THEY believe are essential. Protein is a Myth, and the need for it in great numbers are an even Bigger myth, this is one reason for so many diseases, EXCESS "protein" actually it is Excess food products that carry these aminos that the Body can not digest to get to the aminos...such as meats and dairy. Those excess food products can not be broken down by the Body so they just sit and cause damage. Ever heard that beef can stay in the intestines for yrs...TRUE. And guess what, it is just rotting there, a cancer waiting to happen.

so. much. no.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    good video for you on protien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Tehe
  • jadeaudrey
    jadeaudrey Posts: 22 Member
    Options

A massive bbq and invited the neighbours around :laugh: :drinker:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Too much is what puts you over your calorie goals.