Yet another un reliable exercise app

Options
Runtastic...a very popular exercise app, but completely unreliable.
Today I did the identical route at the identical speed to yesterday, but today I set the system to 'walking' as opposed to 'jogging'.
Runtastic told me I had burned 50% of the calories it declared yesterday, even though I travelled the same route, did the same distance, and kept to an identical speed as yesterday.
It seems that Runtastic simply pre-programmes its results for 'walking' or 'jogging' irrespective of the actual pace you are working at. So gives utterly misleading results.
I work at a pace of 11.5 mins per km. When I set to 'jogging' the system measures me based on 7.5mins per km, when I set to 'walking' it measures me at 15 mins per km. Even though the system is reporting on the actual pace during the walk/jog.
Does anyone know of a similar app which gives reliable data?

Replies

• kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try RunKeeper, I use that all the time and seems to work for me.
  • David1406
    David1406 Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks for that...I'll give it a go.
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    I use mapmyrun & mapmywalk, I like them because they log time and distance but I'm not too sure about the calories it tells me I burn, they always seem awfully high so I end up subtracting at least 20% of them before logging. Has anyone else got any experience with these apps?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You will burn more Calories Running than walking even if it is at the same speed as the biomechanics of walking are different to that of running. If you monitor a route with a HRM you will notice that the calorie burn will be different for both exercises

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-versus-walking.html
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Runkeeper. The GPS seems to be more accurate and the calorie burn Runkeeper says I did is never too far off my HRM.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had been using runtastic too, might give runkeeper a go.