Feeling like a dirty girl...Grrrrr.....

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There are specially formulated sports washes. . .like someone else mentioned. I think one brand in the States is called Win???

That should help. Also, try not to leave sweaty clothes in a plastic bag for hours and hours after your work out. Rinse them out as soon as you can. It helps.

And, realize that working out is a smelly business.
  • kikip
    kikip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wear your "smelly" clothes with pride. If you ain't stinky, you ain't workin hard enough. ;)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Man this thread was a disappointment. *sigh* :grumble:

tumblr_m8mfkqEKLn1ranhnao1_400.gif
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't carry, then who cares. You shouldn't go to the gym to impress people by smelling good. I couldn't care what people think in the gym, I'm not there for to mess around or worry what people think they smell (if anything blame it on another person LOL!).

I have 2 sets of clothes I hang them to dry when I get home and alternate between them for the week.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Wash your clothes in hot water or burn them and start over.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't carry, then who cares. You shouldn't go to the gym to impress people by smelling good. I couldn't care what people think in the gym, I'm not there for to mess around or worry what people think they smell (if anything blame it on another person LOL!).

I have 2 sets of clothes I hang them to dry when I get home and alternate between them for the week.

Not smelling horrible is a common courtesy to those around you.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Wear your "smelly" clothes with pride. If you ain't stinky, you ain't workin hard enough. ;)

that is so not true.

Wearing smelly clothes to the gym means:

1. You don't respect yourself,
    2. You don't respect other gym users, and
    3. You're serious personal hygiene issue is indicative of some serious personality issue.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ive had the same issue with cotton tank tops and there could be several reasons causing this problem.

After working out and you take the clothes off do you throw them in a pile? What type of material is the clothing? Are you using color safe bleach? After washing do you immediately dry them? Are you using fabric softener?

I recommend hang drying all workout clothes after sweating and stinking them up. Leaving them in a pile allows bacteria and mold to grow that are very difficult in washing out with just regular detergent.

Try spandex or those dry-fit type outfits as cotton loves to just hold on to that moisture.

If they are whites, bleach them. It will kill the smelly bacteria. If they are colors and you are worried about ruining them, use color safe bleach. Add a fabric softener to make them smell fantastic.

Also, If your sweat smells, your sweat smells, sometimes theres no way around that. If all else fails find a nice body spray you like and try that.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    First thing is, don't wash any type of dri-fit or any rapid dry (wicking) fabric with regular detergent. It clogs the pores in the material and causes it to hold onto those smells. Also avoid drying them in the dryer.
    If your clothes have been washed in regular detergent like Tide or whatever else too many times, you may never get the smell to come out.
    Buy a special detergent called Penguin Wash. It's specially made to keep high performance clothing smelling fresh and clean. I've been using it for a while now and it really works.
    You can get it at REI or many other places. Check it out.

http://www.penguinapparelcare.com/how.html
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My husband used to have to soak his running clothes in bleach all the time for this reason. We got a Samsung SilverCare washer a few years ago and the problem came to an end. I didn't start working out until after we got the washer so I've never had this problem. This may not be very helpful since a new fancy washing machine is a major outlay, but it's interesting.

On another note, some people have said that using fabric softener encourages microbial growth by coating the fibers, and while this was not an issue for smell with us, I did notice after ditching fabric softener that our light-colored clothes develop armpit stains a lot less quickly and the stains are less difficult to remove. So there may well be something to that.

If you decide to try skipping the softener going forward, you may want to try to remove the buildup on existing clothes by giving them an overnight soak in a sink with degreaser solution like Simple Green (maybe a cup of SG to a large sink of water).
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come into this thread expecting something more along the lines of :

tumblr_miuanbssra1qchlwbo1_400.gif
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I use vinegar.

It's inexpensive, and readily available..

If that doesn't work then time to let them go...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I changed deodorants. Mitchum deodorant for women just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Regular Sure or Mitchum does the trick. Others have said vinegar for the clothes, and this is one I had forgotten (thanks y'all), but yes, it should work.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Man this thread was a disappointment. *sigh* :grumble:

tumblr_m8mfkqEKLn1ranhnao1_400.gif

^^ This
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come into this thread expecting something more along the lines of :

tumblr_miuanbssra1qchlwbo1_400.gif

(blushing) Yeah, kinda. LOL...I thought it was just me.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Bummer... not what I expected.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Disappointed.

Thought this would be way more interesting.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Disappointed.

Anyway, it sounds like you left your clothes in the washer overnight and they grew some mildew. This is activated when you are working out from the heat and moisture of your body, making for a bit of a funky smell.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My wife got some "Tide Plus Febreze Freshness Sport" and the stuff works great on workout clothes. They come out smelling much better. A good dryer sheet helps as well.

Also, if you have a high efficiency washer, you may have some mold built up in the washer. If that is the case, you need to run a cleaning cycle with bleach to kill off the mold.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Soak them in a bucket of water with a cup of white vinegar over night. Then wash normally.

^^ This. Sometimes ordinary detergents don't remove all the bacteria. White vinegar is awesome.

AND, I agree that I was totally expecting something different when I read the topic.