Hey Runners/Joggers and yeah even you weight lifters

Options
Raasy
Raasy Posts: 972 Member
So I am beginning to train for a half marathon that is coming up later this year. I have been having some pain in my shin area of my legs. I seem to think shin splints, but someone also mentioned to me that it could be the surrounding muscles are weak. The person that I was talking to is a marathon runner so I want to trust her opinion. She was telling me that since my calf's are getting stronger that the muscles to the inside (where my pain is) and outside of the shins tend to get a little weaker.

**My question to all of you out there is, does this sound right? And if so what kind of strength training, exercises, stretches can I do to help strengthen these muscles? I don't want to work on my calf's really since they are already getting a good workout with the jogging that I am doing.**

Now be easy on me, I am in no means a light person, nor am I the fittest person, so that also might play a role in the pain, I understand that. And I know that I may not be able to jog the entire distance. But I am OK with walking parts of it.

Replies

• aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently run? Kind of need to know how often you've been running and how many miles to answer this better, I can advise you on training to help.

I've run 8 half marathons and training for my first marathon in October, so I have a bit of experience in distance running. Here's my advice.

1. Have you been fitted at your local running store for shoes? Not at ****'s, but at a local running store staffed by runners? If not, that is stop #1. Don't even bother running again until you go and get in the right shoes for you. Show them where you're having pain, take in the shoes you've been wearing to run, they'll help. Most running stores have awesome return policies, take the shoes home, wear them on a treadmill run, if they don't work, take them back and swap them out for something else until you find something that works.

2. Get a foam roller and roll out the front of your shins, it will help your shin splints.

3. Ice your shins 15 mins on/15 mins off as frequently as you can, that will help reduce the inflammation. You can also take ibuprofen to help with that.

4. You could try compression socks after your runs, see if that helps reduce the inflammation after. I wear them after my long runs for the rest of the day if I can. I think it does help my legs recover faster.

5. New runners usually are the ones dealing with shin splints, I've never had them, so I would assume it's something you work through, like your friend suggested. I imagine you just have to keep running.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking on the challenge of your first half marathon!

I'm not a doctor, but I'm a runner, and the most likely culprit is shin splints. I agree with aswearingen22's advice re: going to an actual running store and getting properly fitted for shoes; that will likely be a large help to your training, whether these are shin splints or not. Don't just buy the shoes that look nicest, that are recommended on websites, that are on sale, etc. - go to a dedicated running store and get fitted. Icing is also a good call.

The biggest source of injury for runners is doing too much, too soon. If you're not already doing so, find a half marathon training plan online and use it as a guideline for your training. Don't try to do a whole lot more than it recommends; it'll ease you into increasing your distance and help keep injuries at bay.

As for the specific diagnosis, if you find that shoes/icing/compression sleeves/etc. don't do the trick, go see a doctor and get checked out. There are certainly more serious injuries (e.g., stress fractures) that can come into play and can't be diagnosed even by the very best MFPals. ;-)

Happy running!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Raasy
    Options
    Thanks Aswearingen22!!!

I am a fairly new runner, I am currently on week 5 of the c25k training app. Right now I am currently only running the time frames the app says to, and maybe a little extra after the app is completed. I know that this is a big goal for me to get to but I am OK with not being able to run the whole thing the first time.

Answer #1 I have been fitted with running shoes are an actual running center, my shoes are a few weeks old now. My old ones were just not cutting it and yes I think that was part of the problem,

#2 Foam roller, I have looked into these but I am not sure which one to get or how big I need, Got any suggestions?

#3 I think I am going to start icing them tonight, question on this, do I only ice after running or should I be doing it next day as well.

#4 might have to invest in a set

#5 my fear is that if I keep running I am just going to injure myslef further and then will be laid up not able to train.
  • aswearingen22
    Options
    bert - couldn't agree more! I was wondering what his base is and if he's jumping into the half training before he's ready. And yea, stress fracture is a good call if it's not shin splints. I hope that's not the case!
  • aswearingen22
    Options
    Ok, that helps. So you're currently working up to a 5k. My guess is shin splints then. You probably haven't put in enough pounding yet to cause a stress fracture. When is the half marathon? Before you take on that distance, it's helpful if you can run 3 miles 3-4 times a week before that training plan starts.

#1 - so do they appear to be better with the new shoes or worse? If worse, it could be time to go back and try something different.

#2 - I just bought a $20 black one off of amazon. I'm not sure it really matters. Something like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Density-Foam-Rollers/dp/B0040NJOA0/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1372206491&sr=1-2

#3 - You should ice them for as long as they hurt, 15 on/15off as many times a day as you can until you no longer have shin splints.
  • Wolffsohn
    Wolffsohn Posts: 2
    Options
    This may help you: http://sock-doc.com/2011/04/shin-splints/ His information helped me cure my plantar faciiitis.
  • Raasy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.. And yes my shins have been feeling better with the new shoes..
    I think I need to get outside more in my jogging, right now i have been limited to the treadmill at the gym. I ventured outside the other day for a mile jog and I think that's what caused the shin splints to flare up again..
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just over a month ago I started running for the first time in years. I selected a route along a local trail (paved) and got started. I jogged as far as I could, walked for a little while, then went back to jogging, and so on and so forth. By the time I covered the 2.25 mile route I was dead tired and my legs ached.

I was eager and thought I could push through it, so I repeated the process the following day. My legs hurt even more. Sharp pain in my shins while walking and pain in my calf while jogging. I was stubborn about it and refused to give up. I would up limping / hobbling the entire route and kept telling myself that I could just work through the pain.

I switched to running every other day and after about two weeks I just couldn't do it anymore. The pain was too much and became a problem on my 'off days' as well. I did some reading about the problem and came up with the same information that you did. Weak calves putting strain on the shin.

I took a week off from running and did a series of stretches as often as I could (I don't remember where I found them, there were 5 or 6). I also iced my legs as often as I could. At this point the best I could do was run for a 1/2 mile before needing to walk for a bit.

When I hit the trail again after taking the week off, I covered the first half of my route (1.1 miles) without any walking. The time off, coupled with new running shoes, stretching, and ice did wonders for my running.

I'm still running into some pain in my calves when I stop to walk a bit (at my turnaround point). I've learned to not try pushing through it. If what I'm experiencing is more than a little discomfort, I'll walk the rest of my route to avoid another week long setback. In my case it was most definitely pushing too hard, too fast.

My goal is to be able to run a 5k (from start to finish - no walking) by the end of summer.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    calf raises and also if you dont go to gym where there is a lil machine for the front you can just set a weight on your toes and just lift UP from your heel to strengthen the front.
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    Shin splints are an indication of weak ankles. Make sure that you have the right shoes, get fitted by a professional if needed.
    A good exercise to help strengthen your ankles is to sit on a chair with your leg outstretched, point your toes to the floor and trace every letter of the alphabet (this will work your ankle in every direction) I got this advice from a very seasoned runner (5k, 10k, marathon, 100 mile... you name it, he does it) Do it everyday and in a few weeks you should start to notice a difference. Good luck and keep training, just listen to your body and give the rest that it asks for!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said....and here is a totally great website that will show you how to use the foam roller AND tennis ball, so get one of those too:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/body-map/shin/

You can click on Home to book mark it, but I gave you the link to shin....this site helped me a lot when I had hip pain from over use; my hip pain is gone and I only had to sit out for 7 days. I now do a lot of good stretching for my IT band. Also, since I'm very prone to pulling my right hamstring, I use the foam roller and tennis ball and do self massage on that often.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.. And yes my shins have been feeling better with the new shoes..
    I think I need to get outside more in my jogging, right now i have been limited to the treadmill at the gym. I ventured outside the other day for a mile jog and I think that's what caused the shin splints to flare up again..

When you're running on the treadmill, are you increasing the gradient to at least 1%? This is to simulate uneven surfaces and does help your legs, especially if you're always on the treadmill. My 2 cents is to ditch the treadmill and run outside if possible. Completely different and more rewarding experience!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

PS. I ran my first half this March and had to contend with ITBS through my training (pain on the outside of knee). I was able to self-cure by incorporating cross-training and strengthening my hips (Glutes - did this by doing squats, glute bridges, good mornings etc etc).
  • BridgetMoans
    Options
    hi everyone - i have taken to reading some of the posts here and found I am really interested.

Im new to the MFP and only just at the beginning of conquering my on/off relationship with food - I am a long way off any running or marathons ( the most I can muster up at the moment is a measley 10 mins with my doggies* ) but i am sure with determination and time on my side I will gain lots of inspiration and advice to get me on the road to some gentle jogging.

* i have a few ailments that I need to overcome and build up on steadily.

:glasses:
  • Raasy
    Options

When you're running on the treadmill, are you increasing the gradient to at least 1%? This is to simulate uneven surfaces and does help your legs, especially if you're always on the treadmill. My 2 cents is to ditch the treadmill and run outside if possible. Completely different and more rewarding experience!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

PS. I ran my first half this March and had to contend with ITBS through my training (pain on the outside of knee). I was able to self-cure by incorporating cross-training and strengthening my hips (Glutes - did this by doing squats, glute bridges, good mornings etc etc).

I did some reading last night online and found this same tip. So I did actually give it a try today on the treadmill. I felt better at each interval with the 1% incline, so I will continue to do that.I am actually also going to start training outside more and more. I have become dependent on the treadmill, But I am also any early bird and that means 5am workouts.. There are not that many areas around me to jog that early in the morning and feel safe.