Eating after 7pm

Options
12346»

Replies

• cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If im awake its a suitable time for eating.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you a Mogwai?

LOL!

No I dont think it matters, most people that work full time and commute dont get home until around 7ish so by the time they prepare food its after 7. I usually east after 7 most nights and dont find it an issue.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I am hungry, I eat. Regardless of the time.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories (dinner) at 11-midnight every day. Rarely after 1 am before I go to sleep. I've been loosing weight every well.

I think this rule is designed with mindless munchers in mind. If those who get up late at night for multiple trips to the kitchen for cookies/chips/ice cream to eat while watching TV were to stop that, sure, they will loose weight. So I feel this rule implies "you are too stupid to understand such details, so we will just simplify it for you."

If they consume same amount by 7 pm that won't help them.

If you are eating what you need to eat, the time does not matter.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I recently learned something disturbing about eating after 8:00 pm. I have terrible insomnia, and have started looking at nutrition as possible causes. I learned that eating late interferes with your sleep. Not only does you body not need the calories, since you're likely going to be sedentarty for the next 8-10 hours, it actually steals the function your body needs for restful sleep. So instead of working to get your body into a productive sleep mode, the energy is expounded on burning those calories. So that "ice cream hangover' you're sure you have after a late night binge is not a myth. You cheat your body of restful sleep if you consume unessesary calories 3 hours before bed. Late eating is so bad for me personally on so many levels, I try really hard to stick to nothing after dinner, and try to eat dinner no later than 6:30 pm. It's a good rule for calorie counting too, as many times the worst things I eat all day are late night snacks.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If it interferes with your sleep, don't do it.

If you graze mindlessly late at night, stop.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with it. Hell, I had a large sundae at 10pm last night, went to bed at 11 and slept like a log.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it doesnt really matter what time you eat, it just matters that you eat less and move more. I know from past experience that you can use your calories on junk food and still lose, but this time around i decided to commit to a true lifestyle change and have chosen to eat healthy. I chose the South Beach way of eating. I lost my weight in just over 9 months. Rarely did a day go by that I did not have an evening snack (something healthy that fit my plan and within my daily calorie goal) AND I skip breakfast more often than not. I don't feel the need to eat in the morning if I'm not hungry.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I believe the coworker is doing intermittent fasting.Its called the 8hr diet. They did a scientific study on this with mice. The mice were allowed to eat any/all for an 8 hr window when they were most active, which for us is usually during the day . Then they had them fast for the next 16 hrs. You can pick any 8 hr window that you wish. The mice that were in this experiment all lost weight.. I've tried this before and it really is a pretty easy diet to stick to, especially if you are like me and don't tend to eat breakfast. I try not to eat breakfast/lunch until really late so that I can eat later in the night. If I wait for breakfast at noon I have until 8pm to eat whatever I want. I believe they lost a lot of their weight because it did stop all the snacking when they were not active.That in itself lowered the calorie count. You can eat all you want at night as long as it is in your 8hr window.

If you are doing IF to lose weight, you can NOT eat all you want! It is not a diet, it is a different way of eating with weight loss & fat loss as an added benefit, if you are eating at a deficit.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    We follow that "myth" in Russia and so far it has been very successful. And that myth keeps most people very lean. My mom has been on this regime of no food after 6 pm and no bread and her weight is 91-97 pounds. Ive followed this too for 25 years and was lean and beautiful, until I came I the USA, and had some personal stress too. It caused me enormous weight gain.

Also it's one of the main diets requirements for all Russian ballet dancers and gymnastics. And Russian ballet has been the leading in ballet world schools for hundred years since Dyagilev. And our gymnasts are always the world and Olympic champions.

I'm following diet requirements of a doctor and she asks me every week if I eat after 6 pm, she says nothing, not even fruits after 6, otherwise I'm breaking te diet.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what time if you have the calories left over? Absolutely not. Do I think a good chunk of people have those calories readily available. Absolutely not.

If you can control your cals, go ahead and eat whenever time you want.

I, however, almost never have calories left over for night time eating.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i'm usually still eating at midnight
  • jcardenas89
    Options
    My biggest meal, naturally, tends to be dinner which is usually at 7pm. I workout around 9-10pm, shower and have a chobani yogurt right before bed. I consume between 1200-1300 cal a day (3 meals, snack in between) and my workouts are about 45 mins, 3x's a week.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Eating late has little to do with weight loss, but it is a good idea for liver health to not eat in the 2 to 3 hours before sleeping at least a couple of days a week.

(Edit to correct a typo)
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Depends of the person. I know some people who are skinny as hell and can not sleep without eating a big meal.
    Personnaly, eating a light dinner has worked for me. I sleep more comfortably, wake up feeling more energized, and I feel like it has helped with my weight loss alot.
    But in the end, all that counts is calories in- calories out, no matter what time of the day you eat.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    It seems like everything I have learned about the rules of dieting were all a myth - am wondering how people feel about eating after 7pm or 8pm -with the idea that when you eat that late if you are not active that the food just sits and you are not burning it off....

I have recently learned that breakfast is NOT the most important meal of the day - my coworker just started the diet where he eats all his food within a 8 hour window... but he'll eat two hamburgers at 10:00 at night... sounds like a bad idea.

Just curious about how others think about this ( I have no desire to eat late) I think I just need to be re-educated

As far as I can tell, from my experience.. It really doesn't matter. All that matters is overall caloric intake over an extended period of time.

Sometimes I workout until midnight and won't have my last meal of the day until 1am. It never affected my weight loss or my progression in any way, shape or form. This has been happening more recently, and if anything.. I find myself feeling better.

I think the most important part about when you are eating is ensuring that you are still leaving yourself some time to actually DIGEST the food. When I eat at 1am, I don't go to sleep until 2:30am-3am.

Hell, I'm having a protein shake now! :P

To each their own I guess though.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 8pm but only because I usually go to bed around 10pm and it gives me indigestion. If it didn't then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    it matters not when you eat in terms of fat or weight loss. Your body's metabolism does not shut down at night. It keeps working while you sleep :)

I personally eat at least 50% of my daily kcals after 6pm and sometimes have a pre bed snack.
    In fact, on many days, i have most of my carbs late in the day (after training). I find this helps me sleep better and is also better for my stomach and gut as I have a food intolerance.

That works for me. Do what works for you.

But don't avoid eating after 7pm just because you think it will make you gain fat. It's simply untrue.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    but it is a good idea for liver health to not eat in the 2 to 3 hours before sleeping at least a couple of days a week.

(Edit to correct a typo)
    What ???? What's the health of your liver to do with the time you eat? Bizarre
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have no choice to eat after 7pm as i don't finish work till 6pm and takes me half an hour to get home and i probably eat around 7 isn, and i have been able to loose weight ok