Not worth my calories anymore..

Options

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't eat as much bread/pasta as I used to and have drastically cut back on chocolate, pasteries and baked sweets. Candy and chocolate as well, though still love chocolate :)

I also don't eat at McDonald's very much anymore - had a burger from there recently and didn't even finish it. Just didn't taste "worth it". I've cut KFC out too (which was easy) and Popeyes (not as easy), now I'm working on Wendy's, though that one's tougher going. JBC's are my weakness :(
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I definitely love this post. I have started feeling this way. I hate eating small items and then Im hungry later just because I wanted something that tastes good. Once it's swallowed, it's not worth it! I love food too much. But I want to love my body too. I want to stay full not always hungry and feeling crappy. I used to eat at Ihop once a week, now I barely go. I used to love bread but I dont think I really want much because I feel like I can eat so much more with those calories. I need stuff that has substance. Exercising really makes me hungry so I definitely need something that will last awhile! Chicken is so worth the calories, and it's already pretty low, and FILLING!! Would rather eat some turkey breast at 240 calories rather than 1 doughnut for 240 cals. I like this new frame of mind!!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I've only completely cut one thing out and as unpopular as it is I don't care. I don't have alcohol anymore at all. Say what you want but it's not worth it to me and it does mess with my metabolism. Everything else I enjoy!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hmmm items I (used to) love not worth the calories anymore (and the items I use in place of them now):

Butter -> Olive Oil
    Salad dressing -> Salsa
    Bread -> Lettuce or nothing (bare burger, etc.)
    Angel Hair Pasta -> Whole Grain Penne in portion (I eat much less of a denser noodle)
    Soda -> Water or diet soda (working my way off those too)
    Orange Juice -> Water, le sigh
    Candy Bars -> Dark chocolate squares
    McDonald's -> Eat at home, yo.
    Potato Chips -> Carrots, cucumbers, sugar free candies
    Coffee creamer -> Protein milk or nothing
    Cow's Milk -> Almond Milk
    MACARONI & CHEESE -> Nothing. Because Mac&Chz is like mana or ambrosia; The sweet necter of the gods from God, and nothing could replace it. But at 400 calories per cup- EFF THAT!
    Pizza -> :'(
    Bagels -> :'(

I pretty much live off of water and sunshine.

BUT! Meat- any meat is worth the calories for me (as long as it's not fried). BRING ON THE RIBEYES!!

Great Topic Catherine!

Great answer, and yes an interesting topic.......I do not like beans but love meat and fish as my source of protein!! I don't eat chips, but do eat pretzels since they are low or no fat......Can not remember the last time I ate fast food ( I don't think I would enjoy it)
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    starbucks rarely makes it into my daily calories. I used to go almost every day for a frappuchino and now I don't really want to drink those calories.

same with other drinks, ice tea, lemonade, etc. I HATE drinking my calories. so they barely make the cut too.

This. Drinking calories seems like such a waste to me. Why drink when you could eat? Also agree with the $50 thing. No specific examples but there have been plenty of times when I've thought about eating something, even taken it out of the fridge and then put it back deciding it's just not worth it!
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a breakfast sandwich in the morning if I'm in a hurry or just want something different. I switched to the low cal ones a few months ago, but when my store didn't have any last week, I grabbed the regular without even thinking about it. I had one the other morning without logging it first - bam! 450 calories! And I was still hungry too. I threw the rest of the box away. It just wasn't worth it.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    My flavored coffee creamer on the other hand -- totally worth every single calorie.

Yes! Agree 100000%

There are things that aren't worth the calories for me too. Recently, I ate Popeyes and I ate the biscuit. Then I saw it was almost 300 calories for that biscuit. I was kind of mad that I didn't look ahead of time to see how much it was. It was a decent biscuit but for me, not 300 calories worth, ya know. But Popeyes red beans & rice is almost 300 calories too. But I LOVE them and they are worth every calorie to me :)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Fast food is NOT worth my calories anymore. Nor is sweet tea or coke.

I love bread, but it's too calorically heavy. Pasta is the same and rice. Most of these are simply "vehicles" for a topping anyway.

Forks have no calories. Mmmmm...forks. :smooched: :heart: :smooched:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I know some will call me a heretic, but... Pop Tarts.

I ate them because they were quick and easy. I didn't realize that one serving was one tart. Since I can't and won't eat just one, I'm not willing to "spend" 400 calories on Pop Tarts. Not when the Asiago bagel that I absolutely adore is around 300 calories.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I gave up all gluten because I was addicted to it and it was too easy to overfill on empty nutritionless calories
    I hate soda
    I too like only dark chocolate
    I rarely do processed anything
    looove fruits, veggies, eggs and fish. Loooove sushi but it is too expensive to get too often, sashimi is yummy too mmmm.
    I stay away from corn nuts and chips. Once I start eating them, I cannot stop and people look at me weird on the train because corn nuts are super loud when you chew them lol. Or sometimes I go into the quiet zone on the train and chew my corn nuts just to annoy people lol. oh and fast food doesn't pass these lips anymore. I see it as just plain yucky.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I use my calories on nutritional choices.....most of the time. I do allow the occasional indulgence.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really think of anything before someone mentioned fruit juices.

I had OJ yesterday, but I could actually live off pineapple juice, but the calories in a carton would replace a meal :sad:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Not worth it anymore:
    Crackers
    Chips
    Breakfast Sandwiches (I used to get these ALL the time, now they just gross me out)
    Frozen meals
    Regular pasta and rice
    Pop Tarts
    Cereal

Worth every calorie (in moderation, of course):
    Ice cream in a sugar cone
    homemade cake
    slice of cheese pizza
    frozen yogurt with lots of toppings
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For me, it's French fries. Since they are generally a side to a (supposedly) larger calorie item, they usually push the meal over what I would want to eat.

It is also really a matter of portion size - I remember when what they call a small order of fries today was called a large order. If I go out with a friend or my wife, I'll split "small" order of fries because I do enjoy them.
  • SkinnyGirl1958
    Options
    I am starting my 6th week on green smoothies plus I was eating fairly healthy before that. But...since the green smoothies being incorporated into my daily lifestyle change.......

Let me say that there is nothing I plan to give up as I think that just sets us up for the "want what we can't have"
    syndrome.

Whataburger has not seen my smiling face in the past 5 weeks. I think about it but I think nah!!
    I eat less bread and carbs overall.
    I rarely drink coffee. One cup in the last 5 weeks.
    No 2% milk but instead Almond Milk.
    Eating much more fruits and veggies in the green smoothies which I love BTW.
    Chips and that lot never make it into my cart anymore.
    Baked Pita Chips for my hummus varieties do though.
    I keep a large bar of Hershey's Dark Chocolate and sugar free popsicles in the freezer for a quick frozen treat.
    Chia seeds are my friend as far as waning off hunger and cravings.

I absolutely love all of the new foods that have been added to my life and continue to explore new recipes accordingly.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I only gave up things I used to drink regularly.

Otherwise I don't see myself as giving them up, I just haven't fit them into my daily calorie allotment recently!
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    Recently I've been frustrated at how hungry I've been, despite going over my calories. So I sat down and really looked at what I was eating and I realized there were too many empty calorie/not worth it foods in my diet. I've cut way back on bread, eliminated juice, and got rid of things like granola bars and cereal. I've also upped my vegetables and fruit a lot, and try to eat more whole foods and high fiber foods.

Totally worth it: Pasta. From my cold, dead hands!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Burgers, unless they are spectacular. I will have a really high-end burger once in a while (like a $34 from a steakhouse once every few months) but the ones you get in regular places are not worth it. Full of grease, calories and very little flavor.

Pretty much any "bad" food you crave can be made better and with less calories at home.
    I grind fresh meat with onion myself and make my own rare burger. (or a cumin lamb burger. ymm)

Or cut up potatoes thinly, brush them with pre-measured olive oil and bake. Than put some fresh bacon on it, sliced pickled jalapegno's, cheese. Still, it will be far less calories than if you go out and buy that. And I will use all top quality ingredients. But it is a lot of hustle, so I only do these things once in a very blue moon.

The only guilty foods I cannot make myself are croissants and breads. I've tried few times but it never came out well.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pasta is one that I don't eat anymore but I was never a huge fan anyway, macaroni and cheese, and morning cereal. Pizza is one that still makes it into my diet that and chocolate!
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pizza!! I used to love chowing down on saucy, cheesy, meat covered pizza. Now I can't even think about eating it. I honestly struggle to let myself eat out at restaurants in general as well. I always think that I can make the same meal for half the calories and the same flavour at home, so why bother, eh? I still love me some BBQ ribs though. Bring on the bbq meats!