Headspinning sensation after running??

Options
Every so often AFTER running and some cool-down walking, I get this head spinning sensation where I just NEED to sit down. It happens mostly after I run outdoors, but I just got it today after running on the treadmill. I didn't do anything unusual, I ran an average three miles; I pushed myself a bit but that's not unusual. It's not every time, just every so often. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, this has happened to me before when I used to run daily. I realized it was due to the fact that I was not hydrated enough. I upped my water intake and no more headaches/nausea/ head spinning :)
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    More water during, before, after??
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Well before, because after is too late, right? I know people say you dont need to bring water on a < 3 mile run, but I always do. I passed out once from dehydration (wasn't even exercising!), and I will never go there again.

Here's another idea even though I think the hydration suggestion is it. I've been getting dizzy working out lately. It's been hot, and I've got windows open& fans on (I don't know why I don't exercise in a/c), or I'm running outside. Yesterday I popped a sinus decongestant thing, and the dizziness went poof. I could feel my sinuses opening up. Damn pollen!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down your pace a little.
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I run too long with my heart rate "too high" (as in the 170's) that happens to me, sometimes that has to do with not getting not quit enough oxygen to the brain for a little too long. I wear a heart rate monitor now and then whenever my heartrate reaches 170, I back off until it is at least only 160, sometimes a bit lower, before picking up the pace again. Since then, the only time it started happening again was when I had a positive pregnancy test 2 days later...
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well before, because after is too late, right? I know people say you dont need to bring water on a < 3 mile run, but I always do. I passed out once from dehydration (wasn't even exercising!), and I will never go there again.

Here's another idea even though I think the hydration suggestion is it. I've been getting dizzy working out lately. It's been hot, and I've got windows open& fans on (I don't know why I don't exercise in a/c), or I'm running outside. Yesterday I popped a sinus decongestant thing, and the dizziness went poof. I could feel my sinuses opening up. Damn pollen!

Agreed. I had the same issue on a short run and that is when I realized, I needed water regardless. I drink a helluva lot of water both before, during and after a workout/ run...regardless of the length of it.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, folks! It has been getting quite hot out, and when I run outdoors, I actually don't take water with me! I might have to try that sinus thing as well, I have sinus problems all the time!!