How often do you weigh?

Options

Replies

• Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    lol I weigh myself a few times a day!!! I know people told me to get rid of the scale but I just can't help myself!!!! My weight fluctuates so much in minutes....one morning I can weigh myself anf it says one thing....then there is a 3lb difference a few hours later....then my weight tends to fluctuate after I work out....I do record it every Friday though. Seems like my weight goes up a little on the weekends....I used to get discouraged by it....but everything tends to work itself out by Friday. Just interesting to see how weight fluctuates at any given time.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    WOW, it really surprises me how many people weigh themselves every day. I stopped weighing myself every day awhile back, to many fluctuations from day to day.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when i wake up. Record it every day. But i only care about the overall progress week to week.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I only used to weigh myself every couple of weeks when I was losing - I didn't even own a pair of scales and used to weigh in at the gym on a Sunday morning.

However, I have been on maintenance now since last October and at Christmas just past I got a set of Aria wifi scales. Since Christmas I have weighed in every single morning. I am not obsessed by what they say - I don't get upset or feel a lack of self worth at the numbers they show.

What I have done is just record it all on my fitbit over the past 6 months, and I now have a lovely graph of my daily fluctuations.

On the 'weekly' view, the fluctuations show a big roller coaster - on the monthly view, it becomes gentle rolling hills - by the 'three' months view, you can practically draw a straight line through the points.

So it depends on your perspective: In the short term, the scales fluctuate because of all sorts of reasons - so scales are really little use in the short term to measure progress. However, they are useful for registering long term trends, which is what I now use it for.
  • Unfairman
    Unfairman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do every couple of days, mostly out of curiosity. I think it only becomes a problem if you get upset if you put on a half a pound or a pound day over day.

As long as you're tracking your actual *progress* on a weekly basis, I think it's probably okay. Just don't get discouraged if your weight fluctuates.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log on a calendar so I can keep track of fluctuations. I log ALL losses on here (even 0.1 pounds), and any gains over 3 pounds (I've found that's my "normal" fluctuation amount).
  • zachherda
    zachherda Posts: 47
    Options
    I weigh and record myself daily, I know people say you shouldn't but do what you feel is best. I like to see how much my effort is paying off. Plus I am doing Insanity and wanted to keep a running total of my daily weight. I also measure myself every Monday. Even if the scale doesn't show a loss, that has every time I have measured.
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i weigh every morning when I wake up, and every evening before I go to bed.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly, on Saturday morning. But, I think I'm going to change to Monday simply because the psychological happiness of having lost weight messes me up on the weekends. It gives me the green light to eat, eat, eat because I saw a loss. I figured if I waited 'til Monday I won't go so crazy on the weekends.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't weigh anymore and if I do, it is ONCE a month. I seriously hate the scale, I am trying to build muscle, therefore the scale may go up for me and when I see a larger number on there, I freak out. I find if I stay away from the scale, I am more determined in my workouts and stop obsessing over the stupid number.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    I only log my Tops Club weight.

I weigh myself many times throughout the day on Monday and Tuesday (unlimited) 1-2 days before the Tops Club meeting and make ANY and ALL needed adjustments (diet, fast, exercise, suanna etc) to reach my weight goal for the Tops Club weigh in on Tuesday Night.

Once on Weds after my cheat night.
    Once on Sunday at Night.

I skip Thursday, Friday and Saturday since they are too far out from Tops Club weigh-in to be meaningful.
  • tourlady522
    Options
    Usually daily but when I am at the lake there is no scale so then it would be once a week.
  • Kaken21
    Kaken21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday and Wednesday. I weigh Monday to see how I'm doing and then record my weight on Wednesday.
  • meperry74
    meperry74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday but I only record the weight if there is a loss, otherwise I just take note of what the scale says and move on.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Usually daily, but I want to try weekly from now on.
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Once a week or 10 days. There is a scale in the gym and I use that as I don't own one and don't want to.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    I also do it every morning. I don't freak out by the fluctuations to. It's actually helped me understand them more.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's unhealthy to weigh every day unless you emotionally live or die by the scale. i weigh every morning, but i know that my body is going to fluctuate all week, and that doesn't bother me.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    I weigh daily; I love numbers.:)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I put the number in a spreadsheet and I look at a moving average. It works for me.

I only put a new number in MFP when it's a new low weight. If I run a report in MFP, I can see the time between new low weights, which I find helpful.