Question for lifters

Options
2»

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You'll always get calluses from lifting, but to prevent calluses from becoming problematic (hurting/bleeding) you should grip the bar correctly:

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

In essence, putting the bar/handle on the middle of the palm (jamming it between your index and thumb) during pulling exercises is what causes the area to get pinched. The grip is perfectly fine for pushing exercises like the bench press or overhead presses, but for pulling exercises you want the bar further down on the palm as shown in the second image.

^This! I can only add Rip's video to support this position as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I d swear blind that was a young males right hand !!!!

Spend some money and buy some gloves.!!!

:laugh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    Holy sexism. My hands are calloused too, and nobody has ever said I look like a man.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Holy sexism. My hands are calloused too, and nobody has ever said I look like a man.

i think you're the sexist. that is a masterbation joke. way to jump to conclusions and assume the worst.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

i think you're the sexist. that is a masterbation joke. way to jump to conclusions and assume the worst.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Oh, my bad not jumping to *kitten*?
    Telling a woman the pic looks like a man's isn't really jumping to conclusions - but that is a sweet mat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You'll always get calluses from lifting, but to prevent calluses from becoming problematic (hurting/bleeding) you should grip the bar correctly:

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

In essence, putting the bar/handle on the middle of the palm (jamming it between your index and thumb) during pulling exercises is what causes the area to get pinched. The grip is perfectly fine for pushing exercises like the bench press or overhead presses, but for pulling exercises you want the bar further down on the palm as shown in the second image.

^This goes for Chin/Pull Ups, too....

Took me a long time to realise that I didn't have to shred my hands to pieces to crank out a set of chin ups!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

TRUTH! When I learned the correct way to grip it made a world of difference.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

He must have known that someone was going to post this question. Lol. At first, I couldn't lift without my gloves, now I love lifting without them. I feel like a warrior! HAHA.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

Thank you! I think I am definitely holding the bar too far down in my hand then. Am sure it will be better when I grip right. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is indeed why people wear gloves. As mentioned above, callouses can be made less rough with skincare. Honestly, it's not a big deal.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and gloves work great for me. I'm a girly, girl so no callouses for me. lol