Healthy food ideas for a college kid...PLEASE HELP!!

Options
Hi all! I'm still starting out with my new lifestyle change and could really use some help. If you could all answer the following question that would be GREAT!

What is your FAVORITE healthy food for
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Snacks:

I would really appreciate it!! Also if you could let me know if it is usually cheap or not.. that would help too. Thanks :D

Replies

• IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Snacks: Peanut butter on Ryvitta. Or Sweet Freedom on Ryvitta (less calories than honey and rather good!)
    Lunch: Miso soup... You can buy some packs that you just add hot water to...
    Dinner: Rice, red beans, mince meat, onion and spices. Easy!
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy food for lunch is tortilla pizza =) If you have access to an oven it's super easy, and super yummy.

Ingredients:
    • Tortillas (preferably whole-wheat, but flour might taste better)
    • Tomato sauce
    • Cheese
    • Spices

Preheat the oven to 425, put your cookie sheet/baking pan in the oven as it pre-heats. Put your pizza together (using tortilla as the dough) either on your plate or on parchment paper. Transfer to the baking sheet when the oven is done preheating, and it should be ready in about 7 minutes. Fast, simple, yummy! Better for you than that frozen crap.

Mine are usually about 400 calories, but I load up on the cheese ;)
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt (I get a 32-oz tub for $2 and change, which lasts about 4 days)
    Lunch: tuna sandwich with avocado and salsa (tuna, $1, bread, $2.50 for 16-20 slices, avocado, $1.50 and it's enough for 4 sandwiches, salsa is also cheap)
    Dinner: a 2-oz (dry) serving of whole wheat pasta with lean meat and veggies (cost varies depending on the meat)
    Snacks: almonds, fresh fruit, string cheese, no-sugar-added applesauce
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What options do you have for cooking and food storage? - this affects what you can use from a practical standpoint. Cooking a bag of beans in a crock pot is enough for several days to a week and very cheap, but if you don't have refrigerator space, not going to work for you (can do the beans in a wrap, enchilada, taco shell or on a salad, amongst many other possibilities). Romaine lettuce keeps very well and is relatively cheap, but again, needs refrigeration. On the other hand, PB&J sandwiches are cheap, relatively healthy and the ingredients are generally "shelf stable". I make oatmeal using just hot water from the coffee machine at work, using old fashioned whole oats - but I like my oatmeal with a little "texture" - the single serve packets generally have WAY too much sugar.
  • mrdk92
    mrdk92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Snacks: I love the laughing cow cheese wedges on wheat thins!
    Lunch: I mostly just tear up lettuce and some sort of meat with a vinaigrette dressing of some sort.
    Dinner: I look up a lot of recipes from emilybites.com, she has calories and macros usually listed :)
  • teenhamodic
    Options
    some cheap food items: chicken breast, tuna in water, and greek yogurt.

chicken breast has a variety of ways to cook it - i like to bake it in an oven wrapped in tin foil

tuna i use with mustard isntead of mayo with relish and whatever other spices you want on there. if you want to make a sandwich then it can be a complete meal

greek yogurt, i usually buy the FAGE brand - either 2% or 0% but the lower you go the more tart it is. i usually mix GY with protein powder.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Youtube: lean bodylife style recipes. Micheal Kory fitness
  • ecoemb17
    ecoemb17 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I'm a college student too so I'm in the same boat with ya! My issue has always been that I am always so busy at school and don't always have a ton of time to cook during the week, so I would end up grabbing something quick - and usually unhealthy. Anyways, here's what I came up with!

Breakfast
    I'm big on smoothies because I'm allergic to eggs and cereal bores me. I usually do 1/2 cup plain kefir, 1/2 cup carrot juice, 1 banana, 1/2 cup strawberries, and 1/2 cup blueberries. I cannot rave enough about kefir- I was so scared to try it (it's cultured milk) but it tastes exactly like yogurt in a smoothie, it's easier to portion, and it has a much longer shelf life than yogurt. If you buy frozen fruit, you can probably spend around $8 on all the ingredients and they will last you at least a week!

Lunch
    One thing that I started doing this year was making a big pot of homemade soup on Sunday nights and then put it into individual tupperware containers so that I could just grab one in the morning and bring it with me. Start with a table spoon of olive oil in a big pot and sautéing garlic, onions, celery, and some red pepper flakes. Once they are translucent, I would usually add some canned diced tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Then I'd finish it off with some vegetable broth and let it boil for 20ish minutes. You can add or subtract any veggies or meat that you want though! I'm sure it would be good with turkey or chicken. Don't remember how much this one cost, but you can make it cheaper by using whatever veggies are on sale or in season.

Dinner
    Two favorites:
    Eggplant pizzas: Slice up an eggplant and throw it in a frying pan until its just browned on either side. Then put a tablespoon of pizza sauce on each slice and sprinkle some mozzarella on top. Put it in a pan and put it under the broiler for a minute or two or until the cheese is melted.
    This one sounds really weird but I swear its yummy! I would cook up a veggie burger (the spicy black bean ones are the best) and then top it with some plain greek yogurt, slice up a few cherry tomatoes and some green onions to put on top. Its super quick and filling! Both of these were pretty cheap to make!

I also make turkey burgers in advance with some ground turkey meat, worcestershire sauce, olive oil, pepper, garlic, and chopped onion, but you can add whatever herbs or spices you like! I mix all the ingredients together, then individually wrap the patties and freeze them. Whenever you want one, just take it out of the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge for the day, then toss it on the frying pan for dinner! I love putting them on top of salads with some sliced avocado if avos happen to be on sale that week :)
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Instant oatmeal will save you, its filling and low in calories too. good for breakfast or anytime for that matter. if you by nuts for snacking I suggest you bag them out individually, its easy to get carried away with then. make a huge bowl of salad one day and divide it into separate containers. Or of you only have container, just scoop n go whenever you need a quick meal. The same goes for fruit salad, our any other meal with multiple ingredients.also Getty some canned soups you like ( try lure sodium because the salt in some soups can be just plan ridiculous). If you're like me youll make your own salad dressing (I can't stand ranch,lol) look up different recipes for what you like, you'll can save alot of calories and macros that way. If you need something salty like chips, opt for pretzels, fruit helps sugar cravings
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are asking for dorm-type things or if you have access to a stove/oven.

If you do have a stove/oven:
    My quick/healthy lunch/dinner "go-to": quesadillas (either egg and cheese or chicken and cheese on whole wheat tortillas) with a side of steamed broccoli (or whatever veggies you like).

I cook a few chicken breasts at once and chop them for my "go-to" protein on salad, quesadillas, or whatever. You can grill them or just do it in a pan on the stove. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.

Quesadillas are fast. For egg and cheese, I just scramble the eggs in a pan and when done put them aside on a plate, wipe out the skillet with a little olive oil on a paper towel and then throw a whole wheat tortilla on the already hot pan, add the eggs and cheese on one side of the tortilla and sprinkle a little fresh chopped cilantro on top (cilantro is very cheap and usually abundant in stores throughout the year). Once cheese starts to melt, I fold the tortilla in half, wait a couple minutes, flip to crisp the other side and done. Top with your favorite salsa.

I also roast batches of veggies all at once to have on hand as sides or toppings on salads. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and beets are all great roasted. The squash can be done by just cutting in half lengthwise with cut side up on a cookie sheet with olive oil and salt/pepper over it. Beets are best done in a foil packet with olive oil (just wash and roast whole) and place on a pan to aviod making a mess on a pan or in the oven with the juices. Sweet potatoes can be peeled and cubed or made into strips like fries, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and spread out on a cookie sheet. All keep for several days in the refrigerator.
  • TIUkansasCourt
    TIUkansasCourt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    These all sound fantastic!
  • TIUkansasCourt
    TIUkansasCourt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What options do you have for cooking and food storage? - this affects what you can use from a practical standpoint. Cooking a bag of beans in a crock pot is enough for several days to a week and very cheap, but if you don't have refrigerator space, not going to work for you (can do the beans in a wrap, enchilada, taco shell or on a salad, amongst many other possibilities). Romaine lettuce keeps very well and is relatively cheap, but again, needs refrigeration. On the other hand, PB&J sandwiches are cheap, relatively healthy and the ingredients are generally "shelf stable". I make oatmeal using just hot water from the coffee machine at work, using old fashioned whole oats - but I like my oatmeal with a little "texture" - the single serve packets generally have WAY too much sugar.

I live in an apartment with a large fridge and I only have 1 roommate so there is plenty of room in the fridge! We have a gas oven, blender, toaster, microwave.. pretty much everything in your common household we have in the kitchen :)
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to help, nor is it healthy, but my college diet was awesome and thought I should share:
    Beer, some vodka, more beer, really cheap wine, beer, gin, more beer, rum, more beer, jungle juice, more beer, top ramen, instant macaroni and cheese, and hot dogs, partying all night, not getting up for class, sleep till 3 in the afternoon....and repeat......I miss college.
  • nap7fd
    nap7fd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness! I am all about eating healthy on a budget.

Snacks: fruit/vegetable based including bananas, strawberries, baby carrots (absolute favorite), broccoli, peppers, canned pineapple (cheaper). I often pair these with a spread like peanut butter or hummus. I also like greek yogurt mixed with fruit. I think it's cheaper to get the big container of yogurt and portion it into tuberware in the morning. If you're home in the evening or the afternoon, baking sweet potato fries is also great. Sometimes I find nuts or trail mix and bring them to work/class.

Breakfast: I am interning now, and lately I have half a bagel with whipped cream cheese or peanut butter, and I have time, one fried egg on it. The bagels are cheap, cause it's 1.50 for a pack of 6 (from the refrigerator section) and I eat half of one a day. I also sometimes do cereal and soy milk (rare)

Lunch: I usually have leftovers, so grilled chicken and pasta with marinara, sometimes chili with baked corn tortilla chips. Since I'm interning away from home, my mom grills chicken at home and freezes it in individual bags and sends them up with me when I come. Likewise with soup and chili. Very rarely I bring a sandwich with turkey and toppings plus fruit.

Dinner: If I'm feeling low carb, it's usually sliced chicken, broccoli or carrots, and some sort of sauce, like hummus or spinach artichoke. If I want carbs I do pasta and I spice up jarred ragu with rosemary and garlic. Sometimes we make quesadillas at my apartment too, but I only have mine with corn tortillas. I buy a lot of vegetables, often whatever I can find on sale and I cook them as well.

Feel free to add me and/or look at my diary if you need more advice, or message me!
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What is your FAVORITE healthy food for
    Breakfast: I love to blend Oikos vanilla Greek yogurt with a pre-made smoothie like the ones from Bolthouse Farms or Naked. So easy and yet so delicious! I use the MyBlend blender bottle from Oster (it's cheap and you can take the bottle with you so you don't have to worry about clean up until after class!)

Lunch: Usually a salad with a good protein like chicken, ham or hard boiled eggs.

Dinner: We cook at home a lot so I can't really help you here. Have you tried Amy's Organic meals? They are a bit more expensive, but that's what I used to eat for lunch when we still had a microwave at work. I HATE frozen meals, but these are delicious and vegetarian (I eat meat, but I can't stand frozen meals with meat!) I LOVE the mexican entrees like the tamales one and the wraps are also delicious! In fact, I don't think I've ever had one I didn't care for.

Snacks: This one is easy! Fruit! I wouldn't say it's my FAVORITE snack, but as far as cheap, easy and convenient goes, fruit is your best bet! Bring along an apple or banana or orange and you're good to go. Other ideas are: Pretzels and hummus, apples with peanut butter, greek yogurt with a bit of cinnamon and honey (this is great for dipping, too!), string cheese...
  • Joysanchez2675
    Joysanchez2675 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a student as well, so I know how hard it is to save money and eat healthy. Here's my picks:

Breakfast: Voskos low fat Greek yogurt (honey flavor) and berries (which are in season here. You could also do mango or pear for cheap). Add a mini bagel with whipped cream cheese if you need a little more. And eggs are always cheap.

Lunch: you can get good cheap cans of soup. The organic Wolfgang puck vegetable soup is good. Also, hummus and veggies for snacks. Or a few dark chocolate Hershey's kisses for something sweet.

Dinner: tilapia is the cheapest fish. Pan fry in a little olive oil and season with salmon rub or old bay. Also, a rotisserie chicken can make multiple meals for one person. You can save time by using it to make tacos, put it on bagged salad, etc. And if you run out of time to cook, I like a Wendy's plain baked potato topped with chili.

Good luck!
  • wendygjc
    wendygjc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 Quaker Popcorn rice cakes, peanut butter and a banana- Yummy

Lunch: salad with chicken thrown in/ or egg salad sandwich

Dinner: Chicken, burger, low cal anything

Snack: Luna Bars- Chocolate Peppermint- Yum
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can portion down anything you need to, ramen included. Speaking of, the ramen noodle blocks split on the fold pretty nicely and lend themselves well to being veggied up with some frozen stuff. Three minute noodles, beans... honestly, any of the college kid staples can be redeemed with some vegetables and/or fruit. I bring oatmeal to make in the school convenience store's water cups like crazy.
  • Maddyannfrost
    Maddyannfrost Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - low fat natural yoghurt with fruit and maybe a sprinkling of cereal or a health seed bagel with marmite
    Lunch - a chicken salad wrap - replacing mayo with some avocado
    Dinner - I have lots of chicken or prawn stir fries - with lots of veg and some noodles or rice.

Snacks - fruit, yoghurt and I'm addicted to popchips.

x
  • rsogar
    rsogar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Frozen already grilled chicken pieces add to salad or frozen veggies.