Breakfast Suggestions

Options

Replies

• derektingle
    Options
    I use McCann's quick cooking Irish oats. They have a very similar texture to steel cut oats and are quick and easy. I cook them with water, then add in a splash of 2% milk to thin it out if necessary. I top with Granola, raw unfiltered honey and dried fruit (usually golden raisins or blueberries.) There are also quite a few recipes for "overnight" steel cut oats using a slow cooker (crock pot) but I haven't really given any of them a shot.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been loving my egg white omelettes with salmon and my fake cheese (I'm lactose intolrent but it would be awesome with cream cheese) I also season it with dill. :)

I'm big into my oatmeal as well.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my go-to breakfast is

2 eggs
    1 stick of pepperoni
    2 mushrooms
    1/2 bell pepper
    28g of soy cheese

Mix it all up and throw in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes. Throw some hot sauce on there and TADA :)
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    breakfast is such an important meal!! It is probably my biggest meal of the day too.

My breakfasts usually are:

Egg Whites
    Mini bagels with low fat cream cheese
    Cinnamon toast
    Bacon (in moderation (: )
    Oatmeal with banana and granola
    Omelets

Sometimes I drink V8 or OJ but I feel like it is just added calories and sugar in the morning, so I usually stick to water, tea, or a small amount of juice.

Hope this helps!
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I do an omelet in a Ziplock bag. Put a egg in the bag....squish it around....add whatever you want to it....I add cheese, canadian bacon, (sometimes just bacon bits)...etc.... drop it into a pan of boiling water.....go finish getting ready for work. It slides right out of the bag.... I wrap it up in a papertowel and take it to work......very good and very low carb!!
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For all options that use sliced bread, I use the 40 calorie bread made by Village Hearth. They have a few varieties/flavors. I like to keep my breakfast right around 200 calories.

Biscuits and Gravy – use skim milk, flour, turkey breakfast sausage, salt, and pepper for the gravy (1lb of the turkey sausage makes a lot of gravy. This freezes well, but you will need to add a bit of milk or water when reheating after you make it as it becomes very thick after storing in either the fridge or freezer.) I use bisquick heart smart baking mix to make the biscuits.

Bacon, egg white, velveeta slices cheese sandwich on 2 slices 40 calorie bread (or 90 cal english muffin) – (precooked bacon already has the fat rendered off and is lower in calories. Velveeta slices are only 35 calories with a lot of flavor if you like Velveeta)

Ham, egg white, velveeta slices cheese sandwich on 2 slices 40 calorie bread (or 90 cal english muffin)

2 slices 40 cal toast with 1 wedge of laughing cow light spreadable cheese split between both pieces of toast, 2 egg white omelet with mushrooms

Waffles or pancakes made from bisquick heart smart baking mix (top with either bananas, strawberries, blueberries, no sugar added applesauce, a little bit of honey, etc. If you get frozen berries, when they unthaw, they have some juice you can pour on top too. You could also mash the thawed berries and juice for a sauce)

Special K strawberry waffles can be found in the freezer aisle. Only 150 calories for 2 waffles. I like these with fresh strawberries or blueberries on top and nothing else.

Breakfast burritos – Azteca brand tortillas that are 80 calories (found in refrigerator section by the shredded cheese). Mix scrambled eggs/whites, low calorie bacon, turkey sausage, sausage gravy, hashbrowns…basically anything. Add a bit of cheese and roll. Microwave all together for about 20 seconds. I like to keep mine lower in calories by adding more eggs with some mushrooms, a little bit of sausage gravy, 1 slice bacon, and one brown and serve turkey sausage link cut into chunks. Sometimes I add half a slice of velveeta cheese. I have been thinking of experimenting with adding spinach, zucchini, and tomatoes with mozzarella cheese. The possibilities are endless.

French toast using 40 calorie bread and egg whites.

Cauliflower fritters – I use a modified version of the recipe on skinnytaste.com. they taste similar to potato pancakes. I use mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg whites. I also use less oil in cooking them.

Oatmeal with fruit

Scrambled eggs (1 whole egg and 2 egg whites) with mushrooms, 2 sausage links (or toast and cheese)

90 calorie english muffin with light butter and jam

90 calorie english muffin topped with mozarella cheese, a huge tomato slice, basil and balsamic reduction (Caprese!)

1 and 1/2 mini bagels with one wedge of the laughing cow cream cheese spread on them

Stuffed French Toast - 2 slices 40 cal bread made into french toast (use egg whites), mix 1 oz 1/3 fat cream cheese, 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar, and a dash of cinnamon. Spread over each piece of french toast and put fresh fruit in the middle. (This is how I do it for work, It is easy to heat this way. When I am at home, I like to spread the cream cheese on the bread and add the fruit before I soak the bread in the egg whites. Then I cook it all together.)
  • karenbenvenuti
    Options
    Wow! This sounds too good to be true! What do you fry them in? DO you add anything after? Thanks! Karen
  • karenbenvenuti
    Options
    Was referring to Blissfullah's comment: My favorite! Gluten, flour and sugar free pancakes! All you do is mash up a banana and mix in an egg. (Sometimes I add a bit of oats or cinnamon!) Then cook just like you would regular pancakes!
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    I just did this last night and I couldnt be more excited and happy with the results!! I made eggs in a small pan almost like a little omlet and then put it between a sandwich thin and made a bunch of them and wrapped them in cling rap and put them in the freezer so when I get to work I microwave it for a minute and its all ready! I was worried the bread would be all soggy but it turned out great! You could add meat of some sort too but it was only workin with what I got lol
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love a protein shake in the morning, but if I'm wanting to switch things up, I too have oatmeal. I like to mix in a couple scoops out of my greek yogurt. Adds a nice flavor and consistency to it.

I also like to have a breakfast "power" sandwich:
    2 egg whites cooked in non-stick cooking spray
    1 Thomas Light Multigrain English Muffin - toasted with a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
    1/4 of an avocado
    1 wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese (I prefer either light sundried tomato and basil, or light garlic and herb)

Sometimes I switch out the avocado for a patty of turkey sausage...Great Value makes a really good turkey sausage patty.
  • sunsqueak
    sunsqueak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For those of you who buy frozen, I really love Golden's Cheese Blintzes - heavy on the protein but not the fats. I have either 2 or 3 (depending on how my day is planned).
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bumpin
  • ayyoitsnikki
    Options
    '
  • rsogar
    rsogar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal! I like Kellogs Special K lowfat granola
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaycevaughan
    kaycevaughan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal with some protein powder and fresh fruit. Or I take and Egg nutrigrain low fat waffle, cut in half, a 45 calorie wedge of laughing cow cinnamon cream cream cheese, and fresh fruit and making it into a "sandwich"
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles, 3/4 cup Eggbeaters. Dump in the skillet, stir, eat. 4 g fat, 3 g carbs, 26g protein and 145 calories. Not whole fresh food but its very quick and fills me up.

Omg doing this!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Was referring to Blissfullah's comment: My favorite! Gluten, flour and sugar free pancakes! All you do is mash up a banana and mix in an egg. (Sometimes I add a bit of oats or cinnamon!) Then cook just like you would regular pancakes!

Oh this sounds amazing. Doing this too.
  • Tiffanie0407
    Tiffanie0407 Posts: 112
    Options
    Fruit smoothie is always good you will feel satisfied and happy about the choice you have made