1,200 calorie target... why?

Options
Apologies if this is a stupid question.

I'm 5ft 9 and weigh 9st 11lb. I'm not particularly focused on losing weight, but would like to tone up/lose a few pounds in time for my holiday. I figured that I should eat a bit less too, but I'm shocked that to lose 1lb a week I'm being told to eat 1,200 calories. I'm a teacher, so on my feet most of the day. I feel like I can't eat that little without starving!

Thoughts? Is this an unrealistic target? (Tempted to over-ride and enter my own at around 1500).

Thanks!

Replies

• Emsambs
    Emsambs Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to the site etc & from what I'm seeing it will adjust as you enter in your activities & exercises for the day. I was given 1,220 as a calorie goal as well but I have noticed as long as you eat smart & exercise as well it truly balances out. I am an EMT/FF and am also working a cashier job on the side so I understand being on your feet a lot. I know at the end of some of my days I'm being told that I'm not getting ENOUGH calories because my activity levels are high & my intake not quite as high. It balances out a little from what I'm seeing so far. The 1200 is just if you are COMPLETELY stagnant for the day really.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any real info for you. I am 5'6 and want to lose 10 lbs and it also puts me at 1200. I haven't changed it but I rarely (ok never) meet it. Generally, I hit about 1500-1600.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Please list your age, height, and weight for people to help. :)
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am shorter and am trying to lose a larger amount of weight, work a desk job, and it put me at 1200/day--but I never feel like it's enough food. Luckily I work out too, so I try to come in around 1600/day and it seems to be working.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's probably because you said you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week and said you were sedantary which for someone who only has a little weight to lose is unrealistic. Reset it and be realistc about your activity and set your goal to half or one pound and you'll get a more sustainable calorie figure
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP just does math. It will give you a number (1200) based upon the goal number of pounds per week you put in. Because you would like to lose 10 pounds .... a practical (healthy) weight loss goal for you is about 1/2 pound a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Please list your age, height, and weight for people to help. :)

This!^ ..... figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) ...... these are calories your body requires everyday (even if you slept for 24 hours).

http://www.bmrcalculator.org/

Your calorie reduction should not go below BMR + exercise calories
  • melisssssss_a
    melisssssss_a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help! It says my BMR is 1461 - I knew 1200 was trying to kill me!
  • JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Options
    You are lucky. I'm only 5'5". Imagine how little I can eat!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    This was a great thread a few weeks ago on BMR and TDEE, which are key in determining a good calorie target:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

I use the following website to calculate my BMR and TDEE. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    I like to use the SEDENTARY info for TDEE - that way I can add back exercise calories on the days that I do exercise.
    If you use anything but Sedentary, those exercise calories are already added in.
    I target 80% of my TDEE, which means I'm at a 20% caloric deficit.

For me, this ends up being:
    BMR: 1499 / 1582 (depending on method)
    TDEE (Sedentary): 1898 [calories to maintain current weight]
    Daily Target for weight loss = 80% of TDEE: 1518

Always stay above your BMR in order to keep your metabolism burning at a healthy rate.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You probably put in to lose 2 lbs a week and the default is usually 1200 because MFP won't allow you to go any lower than that unless you set it up manually. If you don't have much to lose or don't mind losing more slowly, by all means, up your calories!!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I can tell you why that is. MFP works out your daily calorie burn (without exercise) according the information you've entered (age, height, weight, activity level). It then subtracts 500 calories a day from that for every pound a week you set it to lose. However, if that calculation takes you under 1200 calories, MFP will always set it at 1200.

People are saying this only happens if you put in 2lb a week, but actually it will ALWAYS give you 1200 if the calculation takes you under that. For instance, MFP calculates that you'd burn 1650 before exercise. If you set it for 1lb a week loss, that will take you down to 1150. But MFP won't go below 1200, so that's what you get. You will get 1200 if you set it at 1lb, 1.5 lb or 2 lb. The only way to get more using the MFP system is to set it to 1/2 lb a week.

I personally find it easier to do TDEE - 20% (my total calories give me a loss somewhere between 1/2 lb and 1lb a week). However, MFP at 1/2lb a week would give me slightly more calories. You can always experiment and see which suits you best! It doesn't look like you have much to lose at all, so you probably only want a small deficit.