When do you exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I can't do mornings either.... I get up for work at 4:30 AM already, so I'd have to get up at 2:30 to get in a workout and that just ain't happening.

I get home from work around 3:30'ish in the afternoons and I'm usually out in my shop working out by 4:00.... a 45-55 minute weight lifting session and then I still have the rest of the evening to spend with my wife. Of course, that's providing something doesn't interfere with my schedule.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I normally do after work (starting somewhere between 5 and 6 pm) because it means I don't have to get up at 5am to go before work.

On occasion though I have done spin class/a run/a swim or a gym session before work but that is not a regular thing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Between the hours of 11am and 12pm when my gym is it's slowest. No wait time and no clients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SkinnyGirl1958
    Options
    I love working out first thing in the morning. But when I am working I end up doing it at night due to my work schedule. I agree with another poster who said anytime you can and are willing. However, you don't want to workout too close to your bedtime as it can affect your sleep.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Back to mornings now. Helps me get woke up and going in the morning and doesn't take up my entire evening and make it where we are eating at 8:30, cleaning up and then going to bed. Also makes me feel better throughout the day.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    It does sound like your motivation to make exercise a priority is lacking. That's understandable, but...there will always be things you'd rather do. I work full-time (8am-4:30pm) and I have a 2.5 year old. My day is packed. I go to the gym after my fiancé gets home from work at 7pm so he can hang out with our kiddo. Usually, I hang out with them for about 30-45 minutes and then I head out. I don't get home until around 10pm and I still have to take care of household duties somewhere in between everything else I have going on. It can be done, it just depends on how bad you want to lose weight or get in shape. It's hard at first, but after you get into a routine and you start seeing results, it gets easier. I actually enjoy going now.

You're a superwoman!!!

(sorry for the double posts... I haven't quite gotten the hang of this forum yet!!)

Oh, gosh...no way! Thank you, though! I am just tired of being fat. :laugh:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I just fit it in my work day. I switched to HIIT for my cardio and lower body strength training, which cut me from 45+ minutes of running to 25 minutes of intervals. Then I do a fast paced, intense 15 to 20 minute upper body strength training. Lave me 10 minutes of my lunch hour to clean up. I am luky enough to have the gym and facilities avialble on the college campus I work at, so that helps.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I can't do mornings either.... I get up for work at 4:30 AM already, so I'd have to get up at 2:30 to get in a workout and that just ain't happening.

I get home from work around 3:30'ish in the afternoons and I'm usually out in my shop working out by 4:00.... a 45-55 minute weight lifting session and then I still have the rest of the evening to spend with my wife. Of course, that's providing something doesn't interfere with my schedule.

Your workouts are 2 hours?
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to get up every morning and hit the gym at 5:30 for spin class, but have since lost the ability to pry myself out of bed. (could be that we cancelled our gym membership when we moved and there isn't one conveniently located) Instead, I've started walking to and from work every day (that's a total of 4 miles!) and try to do something every evening--if I don't go for a run, I at least try to take the dogs for a walk in the park. Derby a couple times a week helps a bit too!
  • blazergrad
    Options

No, my workouts are usually in the 45-60 minute range, but if I tried to work out in the morning, I would have to shower and do all the other usual stuff to get ready for work as well.... so I'd have to get up about 2 hours earlier.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I work-out at lunch - it's awesome because the free weight section is mostly empty! In-and-out in RECORD TIME! BOOM!
  • moosegt35
    Options

No, my workouts are usually in the 45-60 minute range, but if I tried to work out in the morning, I would have to shower and do all the other usual stuff to get ready for work as well.... so I'd have to get up about 2 hours earlier.

What other usual stuff would you have to do if you worked out VS not working out in the mornings? Getting ready is exactly the same for me whether I work out or not other than showering, and being a male that takes me 5 minutes. My workouts are 45 minutes, so I get up exaclty one hour before I would if I weren't working out and actually end up being ready earlier than if I weren't working out. Of course I don't have to be at work as early as you and would probably do afternoons as well in your shoes but the 2 hours thing just sounds like an excuse not to do mornings.
  • blazergrad
    Options

What other usual stuff would you have to do if you worked out VS not working out in the mornings? Getting ready is exactly the same for me whether I work out or not other than showering, and being a male that takes me 5 minutes. My workouts are 45 minutes, so I get up exaclty one hour before I would if I weren't working out and actually end up being ready earlier than if I weren't working out. Of course I don't have to be at work as early as you and would probably do afternoons as well in your shoes but the 2 hours thing just sounds like an excuse not to do mornings.

I normally shower in the evenings, but if I worked out in the mornings, I'd have to shower, so that's above and beyond my usual routine.

Plus, it takes me just a tad bit longer to get ready in the mornings than most people because I'm a paraplegic, so if I were to workout in the mornings, there's just no way I could get up just one hour earlier and squeeze in a 45-50 minute workout and still shower and be ready and leave for work at the same time I do now. I'd have to have that additional hour (beyond the workout) to shower, get dressed, shave, brush my teeth, throw my lunch together, pray with my wife and head out the door.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    i do 1 hr of lifting in the morning, m-f
    core class 30min tue and sun nights
    run for 30min mon wed thur fri sat
  • moosegt35
    Options

I normally shower in the evenings, but if I worked out in the mornings, I'd have to shower, so that's above and beyond my usual routine.

Plus, it takes me just a tad bit longer to get ready in the mornings than most people because I'm a paraplegic, so if I were to workout in the mornings, there's just no way I could get up just one hour earlier and squeeze in a 45-50 minute workout and still shower and be ready and leave for work at the same time I do now. I'd have to have that additional hour (beyond the workout) to shower, get dressed, shave, brush my teeth, throw my lunch together, pray with my wife and head out the door.

Makes sense. I guess the main thing is that you are actually doing it.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One of the few advantages of being unemployed, I can work out when I want for as long as I want. I usually go out on my bike for an hour between 11am and midday. Sometimes then go for a 20-30 min walk around 4-5pm.
    Not sure where I'd fit it in if I was working full time. My parents for example leave the house at 8am and don't get back until 6pm. If that was me I couldn't do it. I have enough trouble getting enough sleep as it is without trying to get up at 6am or earlier.