Which weight lifting shoe?

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had bought a pair of Nike cross trainers and tried to wear them for squats or deadlifts and they ended up really bothering my knees. I find my pair of Nike Free that I use for running do really well for lifting too. But I am thinking I need to start checking out some of the other suggested ones here.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the barefoot crowd, nor the chuck taylor crowd. Those are great options if you are pulling deads but when it comes to squats you are almost always better off wearing a tight fitting shoe that supports your entire foot. You ever notice how many people have issues with their knees turning inward and/or they look like they are standing on the insides of their feet when squatting? That is because their shoes have no medial support. You should be pressing your knees outward, tracking over your toes and keeping the weight on the heels and outer-mid (lateral) part of the foot when squatting. Nothing helps accomplish this better than a well fitting lifting shoe.

That's great and all, and you're probably right.

However, you can learn to pry out your knees and feel it in the heel/outer foot without a dedicated weightlifting shoe. Then you can do it barefoot or in chuck's. That takes a conscious effort to make sure you are following those mental cues every time you squat though, because the shoes not going to provide that cueing for you.......

But it's does sound nice to have a shoe that's designed for the task, if only they weren't so expensive (esp. in the UK!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There's a reason Ripptoe, Wendler, Pendlay, Ivan Rojas and every other professional level coach and lifter you hear talk about weight lifting recommend oly shoes - they serve a very specific purpose.

Don't listen to the barefoot crowd, nor the chuck taylor crowd. Those are great options if you are pulling deads but when it comes to squats you are almost always better off wearing a tight fitting shoe that supports your entire foot. You ever notice how many people have issues with their knees turning inward and/or they look like they are standing on the insides of their feet when squatting? That is because their shoes have no medial support. You should be pressing your knees outward, tracking over your toes and keeping the weight on the heels and outer-mid (lateral) part of the foot when squatting. Nothing helps accomplish this better than a well fitting lifting shoe.

Not that I've gone all semi-scientific, my suggestions are as follows: If you have the cash, AdiPower or Adias Power Perfect 2 (I have some issues with the Nikes). The Powerlift Trainer is also a great shoe for a new lifter and received really good reviews from WLShoes.com. I'll throw something new out there as well as I just received a pair from Risto, the new Olimpico is an awesome shoe and cheaper than the big brands. Not sure if they are available international though. If you are on a budget you can look into wei-rui brand; but whatever you do, stay away from do-win anything. They are $@#!

Hope that helps!
    I would say that if squats, deadlifts and Olympics lifts, etc. are the main focus, then spend money on lifting shoes. However, if overall fitness (including plyometrics, isolation movements) are involved, then go with at shoe that has a very low toe to heel lift.
    Personally I look to maintain/build muscle so max lifts aren't my focus. That's I use straps for rows and pullups, so I can do more reps with as much weight as I can handle with my back before my grip gives out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There's a reason Ripptoe, Wendler, Pendlay, Ivan Rojas and every other professional level coach and lifter you hear talk about weight lifting recommend oly shoes - they serve a very specific purpose.

Not that I've gone all semi-scientific, my suggestions are as follows: If you have the cash, AdiPower or Adias Power Perfect 2 (I have some issues with the Nikes). The Powerlift Trainer is also a great shoe for a new lifter and received really good reviews from WLShoes.com. I'll throw something new out there as well as I just received a pair from Risto, the new Olimpico is an awesome shoe and cheaper than the big brands. Not sure if they are available international though. If you are on a budget you can look into wei-rui brand; but whatever you do, stay away from do-win anything. They are $@#!

Hope that helps!
    I would say that if squats, deadlifts and Olympics lifts, etc. are the main focus, then spend money on lifting shoes. However, if overall fitness (including plyometrics, isolation movements) are involved, then go with at shoe that has a very low toe to heel lift.
    Personally I look to maintain/build muscle so max lifts aren't my focus. That's I use straps for rows and pullups, so I can do more reps with as much weight as I can handle with my back before my grip gives out.

aw, man... straps??? You're going to MFP-forum hell for that!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    five fingers or chuck taylors.

enjoy.

I use Chucks. Yes, I would probably see a little more benefit from lifting shoes, but I don't have the money for them right now. At $100+, I can't justify the purchase. I got a pair of Chucks for $25 and they work pretty well. I try really hard to watch my form and watch Rip's videos all the time to make sure I'm doing it right.

I've got lifting shoes on my Christmas list, but until then, my $25 shoes will have to do.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of chucks that i use. I got them on sale for $25 bucks. I considered five fingers, but same as other people have said... just didn't want to fork out the money for them. Plus, how can you go wrong with these bad boys?

655104464_tp.jpg
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Lifting shoes are more for competition lifters. If you're training for fitness you'll do better with some sort of flat-soled cross trainer that does not elevate the heel over the toe by a significant amount.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I have a pair of chucks that i use. I got them on sale for $25 bucks. I considered five fingers, but same as other people have said... just didn't want to fork out the money for them. Plus, how can you go wrong with these bad boys?

655104464_tp.jpg

Cool shoes, bro!
  • bohemiangrooves
    Options
    flat or barefoot...agree with those above. when i do deadlifts and squats i take my shoes off.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So if all this time... for all these years, ... i've been lifting in running shoes, my balance is out of wack? If i get a pair of "noncushioned" shoes like chuck taylors, i'll be able to lift more? +10 power upgrade
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

655104464_tp.jpg

Cool shoes, bro!

Bro? Ummm, no. Ladies wear Cheetara shoes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I only wear my Vibram Komodosport LS when lifting.... Nothing better in my mind than to have your feet firmly on the ground and this does it for me.... Best of Luck

2012-07-25_13-38-44_19_zps851334b7.jpg
  • jimmmer
    Options

655104464_tp.jpg

Cool shoes, bro!

Bro? Ummm, no. Ladies wear Cheetara shoes.

I'm not versed in the minutiae of the thundercats!

Plus, you have 1 Boy + 1 Girl in your pic and your name gives nothing away...... so a thousand apologies!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well, my wife has set a bunch of powerlifting world records in converse All Stars. They're not my preference, but I've seen 'em work. Personally, I prefer wrestling shoes to weight lifting shoes. They're much cheaper, flatter and have just as much support where you need it. I can also wear them for boxing and the combat sports I do.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I tried chucks for the first time today, I liked the feel I was set a little further back on my heels which was great but it is going to take a little getting used to.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So if all this time... for all these years, ... i've been lifting in running shoes, my balance is out of wack? If i get a pair of "noncushioned" shoes like chuck taylors, i'll be able to lift more? +10 power upgrade

Interested in the answer for this ^^^^^
  • GetFitWOD
    GetFitWOD Posts: 34
    Options
    Chucks are great

Reebok Nanos are a Crossfit shoe but I like them for heavy lifting

Rogue Fitness has a nice selection too
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

I've only noticed an improvement in stability for squats. No increase in the amount I can lift. I like them for squats over barefoot or Chucks. They are definitely better than running shoes. I have these:

VS Weightlifting Shoe $85

http://www.vsathletics.com/store/VS-Athletics-Weightlifting-Shoe.html

VS010Fw.jpg
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just stick with the running shoes, i've gotten used to working out in that type of shoe. And i squat heavy with no problem. My form is pretty legit. I don't let my heels come off the floor.