Adding before eating?

Options
Curious if anyone else does this- dinner is always my favorite meal of the day, as I am not usually very hungry until around 5. I also absolutely love home cooking a great meal for myself and my husband. With that in mind, it is always my biggest meal- I make sure it's loaded with protein, veggies, good fats.

Does anyone else add in foods to their diary they know they will eat before eating them? I like to put in what I plan to eat for dinner early in the day, so that I can keep my lunch/snacks in the right ballpark- making sure I'm eating enough, but not going over my calories.

If I don't put in my dinner calories, I find that I either am far under my calories after dinner (I'm trying to build muscle, and pretty close to my goal weight, so undereating is not my friend), or on the rare days that I do feel like munching a bit before dinner, not having enough calories to eat as much as I would like of the dish I spent an hour and a half preparing!

Any potential downsides of doing this?

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think its a good idea, and do it when possible myself.

You can always adjust if something changes, but it helps keep perspective and if you can afford to sneak an afternoon snack in or something...at least you know where you stand.

I don't see any potential downside, except for the possible unavoidable change of plans we all have sometimes...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yup, do it all the time!
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I post my entire days meal plan first thing in the morning! This keeps me within my goal before exercising. Then as I workout, I top up my calories.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    If I know what I am having i do. And I definitely do if I am adding a recipe.
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sure. I make my lunch in the morning before I go to work, and add, that. I also try to have dinner at work too, so I'm not eating anything heavy past 6pm, so I add that. Less to think on if I log it early, and if I don't eat it I just delete it.

Some days I'm done logging by 8am :)
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if you have the discipline to eat what you plan, then this is a great way to do it. remember you can always modify it later if you don't. I like to do it that way as I tend to go over if I don't.
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log my food. If it changes then I go back and change my diary. I like to plan my day. For me it makes it much easier to stay on track when I have a game plan. I know a lot of MFP who do this.
  • Ashli_Renee
    Ashli_Renee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All the time.
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everyday, if things change you can always modify your entries
  • CoozyRoo
    CoozyRoo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I definitely do this with lunch and dinner, it helps me to plan out my whole day so there are no suprises.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Mostly because I measure out my lunch the night before and I'll forget if I don't log it right away. I see no downside to pre-logging. You can always edit it later if you need to.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Love to plan out my food diary beforehand. I agree with everyone else that it helps me stay within my goal. It helps me avoid surprises I may throw at myself as well.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is great! I try my best on work days to preplan the night before. If I know my breakfast and lunch I'll make sure that's logged. Sometimes I take things out that I haven't eaten but that's a good thing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I plan my whole day out in advance...no surprises, no stress.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my breakfast and lunch since those are almost always planned. I also pre-log my exercise. This lets me know if I can do some dessert for dinner or if I need to have a chicken salad lol.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my breakfast green smoothies, and my lunch, because I make them at the same time at 6:30 in the morning. It's the time I'm in the kitchen with the scale so it makes the most sense.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    i usually plan my day and leave dinner empty...i like to save most of my calories for dinner because that is when i am the most hungry...plus planning things out keeps me more focused an on track =)
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. It helps me to have a plan and stick with it!
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'll log my food the night before as I am preparing my meals for the next day. It helps for the MOST part. There have been days where I eat additional calories and go over my calorie goal, but it has helped to keep me in line most days.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    yes i do it all the time, i don't have to calculate nothing through out the day and not knowing if i have enough calories to eat this or that. Its already in, plus it helps me not to slip up because i have everything in already so i only eat what's on my log only!!! i have a extra spot though just incase something comes up and i eat something extra, which rarely happens!