Already blew today why not eat.....

Options
So how do I get over that??? Like today, we are going to eat out for a special occassion at somewhere we don't eat at but once a year...and so far I have had, breakfast and lunch were ok....then I got a big cookie from a convenience store, laffy taffy and now I'm drinking a mountain dew. I have this mentaility that we are going to eat over calories tonight, so eat what I want to today. How do I get over that? I've lost 80 lbs, and afraid that I'm going to start going backwards. I know the answer is just do it....

Replies

• Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well, technically you hand't blown today *yet*. You just decided to give up early, knowing your dinner would put you over. I can relate, I just had a crazy 2 weeks of birthday celebrations and fancy dinners. I also gave up early and didn't bother to log as I didn't really want to know the truth. I'd say best thing to do is shrug it off and keep logging. If you really can't face the numbers today, keep logging tomorrow and the day after that. One splurge day didn't get you 300+ pounds so don't panic you'll go back there. As long as you treat it like it was - a one off.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's a hard mindset to break. But remember that there isn't a magical line where on THIS side you're "good" and on THAT side you're "bad" - it's all a continuum that will produce results according to where you land on it. Eating 500 calories over maintenance is better than eating 1000 calories over is better than eating 2000 calories over.

It also helps not to restrict too hard. If you have to work too hard, then it's a lot easier to say "but I've been so good!" and go wild, undoing all that hard work. If you don't feel too deprived, then you tend to feel less like you need/deserve so drastic a break.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's not what you eat on one day that matters, it's what you do over the entire (week/month/year), so, you know, don't have a lettuce leaf for your birthday dinner, but don't try to convince yourself you need entire cheat weekends, either.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I know it is a special occasion, and want to splurge on a special meal, I try to realize that having special occasion meals was not what ultimately led to my weight gain- it was all of those days in between. That keeps me from wanting to snack and have the mentality that "I blew it anyways"

Another tactic I take, that is somewhat related as well- I only get to see my parents about once a year, due to living far away. When I get to be around them, I do not want to deny myself my favorite Polish foods that they make, and want to have some cocktails. So, their last visit, they were coming to visit for 3 days. With that in mind, knowing that this is a once a year thing, and not wanting to spend the entire time feeling guilty, I sat down ahead of time and was honest with myself about how much the indulgence was worth to me. I decided that visit would be worth a one pound weight gain to me- that setback would be easy enough for me to lose with some extra exercise. So I divided 3500 by 3 days, and knew that I could go over my maintenance by roughing 1150 calories per day, or any combination, and still only have a one lb set back. This kept me from completely throwing my goals out the window and just having a "free for all" 3 days of gorging.

Long story short, I gained that one pound, it was worth it to me, did extra exercise the following week and was especially watchful of my eating, that lb can right back off. For me, it is about trade-offs. There are certain occasions where I refuse to completely deprive myself of the things I want, I would be miserable! So I try to reign in my approach on those days by thinking about what the trade off is. Going to a big barbeque? Tradeoffs. Do I want to drink one more beer and have to put in a much harder workout? Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes it's no. Would I rather eat that hot dog that doesn't look too appetizing, and have to eat a much smaller dinner this evening? Maybe not.

Sorry for the novel!
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    GET UP AND EXERCISE. BURN OFF WHAT YOU ATE!! YOU WILL BE FINE :)
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    one meal that puts you over will not break you...its one meal...one day of going over your calorie limit....its not a big deal....just deal with it and move on to the next day.....
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to say a buffet at dinner I eat very small low cal breakfast and lunch to help out. Then I still try and eat in moderation. Still have to make sure I walk my 5 miles to help balance it out. Even with chinese buffet I try to eat more of the "non" deep fried foods. Get what may be a little bit lower in cals. You can do that at every food place I know of and I know a lot of them. There are good choices everywhere but still hard to make them. Even then one bad day won't ruin everything just go east the next couple to offset.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I use to be the same way I thought the same thing. But then my meal would move to my day then I would have an entire bad week and before I know it I will have gained all my weight back.

About a month ago I ordered a regular pizza at solo's which is listed as two servings. I intended on eating half and then the next day eating the other half. I ate the whole pizza and I was made at myself, since this was dinner the next day I made myself eat right and get a good workout in. That week I lost 4 lbs! It was proof if I didn't let one slip up turn into multiple slip-ups that it was ok.

So I suggest try really hard to get back on track forget about what you ate and continue with a healthy lifestyle. You may find too that you have a great loss this week despite a bad choice.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way a while back. I didn't even want to log it, even though no one sees it but me. The next day I decided to list out the whole day's pig out and it helped! Now I can look back and I like knowing I was working on not just losing weight, but facing the task with self-honesty.
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just gonna add my tuppence worth - I keep logging. Even when things have been really bad, I will log back in and put in everything, good bad and ugly. For me, it has helped see just how much I am packing away when I do that (gulp!) but it has also helped me pinpoint the sorta stuff I tend to choose to binge on too. It doesn't make for easy, or very pretty, reading - but I have found it helps me to go back and look over those days when I'm feeling like I should just write off a day.

I still have days where I feel like that and hey, we all do at times - but I'm not as hard on myself as I once was and I have found that on a 'bad' day I know make better or rather, more considered choices. Possibly still going 'over budget', but not completely blowing it out of the water like I may once have done!

At the end of the day, one day won't hurt in the long run - but finding yourself getting sucked back into that mindset so that one day becomes a week, then a month....you want to keep in control so you can have an 'off' day then just get right back in the groove the next day.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    my 1st thought is that you have a defeatist personality that you really need to over come,
    to look at it and say well i am over so screw it i will just be reckless is not going to do you any favours at all,
    and where does that mentality end? so you had a bad day today so may aswell have a bad day tomorrow? a repetitive cycle will creep in,

if you look at it in the bigger sense, even if you go (for example) 1000 calories over, then just accept it as a bad day and know you can make it up over the next few days,
    so have your meal, dont stress that it will make you start going backwards, because it really will not unless you allow it too spiral into such a negative mindset that you justify over eating again because you already did it once

(apologies if that was a bit rude or harsh, not meant to be but kind of felt it while i was writing)

enjoy your special occasion and dont put any unnecessary pressure on yourself over it,
    if you have lost 80lbs then you have done amazingly well and one or two indulgence days really will mean nothing if your attitude towards it allows you to move on from it

hope you have a great evening :)
  • lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have logged everything I have had today. -69 calories. We'll have supper tonight, I'm hoping to get to do some swimming and for sure get to the fitness center at the hotel. Will be mindful about tomorrows meals. It will be another day away from home, but will not eat the sweet crap that I am drawn to. Will spend the day with my husband and he will help me. Thank you for all of the comments and ideas. I will be using these in the near future. His real birthday will be coming up and we will have cake, thinking about portioned cupcakes instead. Then the 4th....its tradition to share a funnel cake. Will eat super healthy that day and get over it. On the third we will have a supper of cheese dip. Once we get past the 4th, I will be golden. Hmmm maybe we need to start coming up with healthier traditions. :)
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    take today back and make it your bee-otch!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If I know that I am going to go out to eat, I plan what I will order. Log it as early as I can. And either eat to fit it in, or fit in exercise to increase my macros.

It's also important for me to look at the big picture. Even if you went over today by a few hundred.... chances are you've been under goal the rest of the week... if you are at a 500 calorie (1 pound/ week loss) deficit every day... that's 3,500 calories under what you need to eat to maintain your weight. (Meaning, if you eat under that, you will lose weight) Add to that every day that you were under goal... you may have an extra 200-300 or calories to work with. So going over by a meal 1 day of the week isn't going to derail your success.

Throwing all caution to the wind and eating over count every meal of the day, however, decreases the deficit by even more.

You'll probably still end up in a deficit, so try not to sweat it... just remember to look at the big picture and don't let one meal ruin your whole day... or one day ruin your whole week... etc.
  • jetenold
    jetenold Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One of the best things that i saw that helped me with this very thing was a pin on pinterest that said:

Saying "Oh, I've already ruined my good eating today, I'll just eat crap" is like saying "Oh, I dropped my phone on the floor. I'll just smash it til it breaks."

If we wouldn't treat something inanimate like a phone like that, why should we feel that it is ok to treat our bodies like that. And don't get me wrong i have bad days and go over my calories, but i try to track everything and make sure i can't lie to myself about what i ate that day. Make you accountable to yourself. It is a process that everyone goes through.
  • lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love reading these comments. Thank you everyone!!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    IMO just go and do it...eat and eat...I guarantee you will get half way through what you were planning to devour and either feel full or guilty or both.

If you trough it all then work your butt off over the next few days!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest with you, I'd just enjoy having a day of indulgence. And then go for a nice, hard run tomorrow. One day will not cause you to lose progress. And if you're strict with yourself all the time, you'll be more likely to give in to temptation, IMO.

When I'm constantly policing myself and restricting what I can have, I find myself craving those things. But if I tell myself I can eat as many cupcakes as I want, I'll usually just have one... the novelty is gone when it's allowed! I don't worry about it, and therefore I don't need to log every calorie to make sure I'm under. I just go with the flow. Nice, clean meals today? Awesome. Cake and ice cream tomorrow? No problem. Still losing weight, still making strength and endurance gains.

Do what feels good. There's no sense in being miserable.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Why not eat?

I'd say that the reason not to give up is that we're here to build habits. If the habit you build is to go nuclear whenever you go over or whenever you anticipate going over, you might be sowing the seeds of your own destruction, i.e., training yourself to react destructively when the going gets tough.

I agree with a lot of what's been said here already. My advice is that you kick the ground, say "dammit", then blow out a huff of air, then decide to do better (for the rest of the day AND tomorrow), then do better. :drinker:

Good luck to you!
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go on vacation or have a big family gathering (like Thanksgiving) coming up, I set my calories to maintenance. That way, I don't go crazy with food, but I'm not stressing about every little treat either when I'm supposed to be having a happy birthday or a romantic vacation.

You have to find a happy medium. If you eat a little bit more one weekend, it's not going to set you back as long as you take control again when you get home. I've never gained weight by doing this, especially if we do a lot of walking while on our trip.

When we got back from our recent vacation, I ate mostly veggies and fruit for two days to sort of cleanse myself and get back on-track. You could make it a point to do the same right after your Fourth of July party. Pre-logging helps a lot too.

Now, if you're a sugar person (I'm not), I understand that sugar can lead to cravings and start a vicious cycle. I find that there are things to sort of curb that. My friend loves Crystal Light because it tastes really sweet (depending on the flavor) and makes her feel like she's having a sugary snack. Yeah, sure, chemicals blah blah blah blah blah, but it's better than snarfing down a bunch of candy and soda.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's meal by meal, not day by day. If you got syphilis, would you keep screwing around until you got gonorrhea? When you're in a hole --- stop digging. If you blow one meal, make up for it by working out a bit more or eating better at the next. Junk food is addictive and the more you have, the more you're gonna want.