Suggestions or articles for avoiding night eating?

Options
Lately I've been doing really well at staying on program during the day, but struggle to avoid night-eating late at night.

The problem is partly due to the fact that I struggle to actually fall asleep. I know that eating something will often help me fall asleep, but late night snacking is causing me to go over-calories for the day.

Keep in mind, I don't want to use sleep medicine. I just got myself off Ambien because it caused midnight snacking. I've tried other sleep meds and all the big name ones cause side-effects for me.

What tips do you have to avoid eating after bedtime? How can I get better sleep so I don't resort to late night snacking just to fall asleep?

Replies

• Gretegettingfit
    Options
    I drink chamomile tea or sleepy time tea when I feel like snacking before bed. It also helps me relax.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When you want to eat at night, just go and do something else. Drink lots of water.

An article is not going to help you. We are not going to help you. Only YOU can help you. It's 100% willpower, man. If you want it, you'll do it.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but books and articles HAVE helped me learn techniques to avoid over-eating. Saying that it all comes down to me and my willpower is not incredibly helpful.

Any other ideas, strategies you use to avoid eating after bedtime? The problem is also due to the fact that I have a great deal of trouble falling asleep.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I drink chamomile tea or sleepy time tea when I feel like snacking before bed. It also helps me relax.

Thanks! I'll try drinking some decaf tea. The problem is that tea might make me have to go to the bathroom more. I only recently got over an overactive bladder condition. I go to the bathroom WAY more often than the average person. But drinking a cup of tea could be helpful to avoid snacking!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Save calories for bedtime by reducing or delaying your caloric intake during the day. Then, when you're hungry at night, eat -- just stay within your calorie allowance.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Save a couple hundred calories so you are able to snack in the evenings without going over your calorie goal.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Save calories for bedtime by reducing or delaying your caloric intake during the day. Then, when you're hungry at night, eat -- just stay within your calorie allowance.

THis...Also, what is your calorie goal for the day?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yup!!! :drinker:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I started making my lunches lighter, allowing a late afternoon snack, and eating dinner around 7 to avoid this. Snacking at night keeps me awake. I am in the habit of doing it when I finally do sit down at night so I've replaced the snacks with unsweetened peppermint, slender, detox, or sleepy time tea. Spread your daytime meals/snacks out to allow for a later dinner and stock up on tea!
  • emmagiffard5
    emmagiffard5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking ice water or herbal teas, just bought in some low cal hot chocolates incase I feel the choccy pangs coming on lol
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing really well at staying on program during the day, but struggle to avoid night-eating late at night.

The problem is partly due to the fact that I struggle to actually fall asleep. I know that eating something will often help me fall asleep, but late night snacking is causing me to go over-calories for the day.

Keep in mind, I don't want to use sleep medicine. I just got myself off Ambien because it caused midnight snacking. I've tried other sleep meds and all the big name ones cause side-effects for me.

What tips do you have to avoid eating after bedtime? How can I get better sleep so I don't resort to late night snacking just to fall asleep?
    I am always hungry just before bed so I eat something, nothing huge or lots of calories, sometimes just some celery sticks or a tomato, even just a large glass of ice water...and yes, I end up getting up to pee during the night from that but can usually just go back to sleep without an issue...just do not over do and if you can, save yourself some calories for the late night snack. Good luck..hope you find something helpful.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have found that I am usually satisfied with a low calorie snack (watermelon, plain popcorn, a lollipop, etc) and a really good diet drink, I am hooked on this expensive diet root beer right now, and it feels like I'm having a treat.
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have this problem in the WORST WAY! I usually will exercise a bit later, say around 7:30 or 8pm. This eats up time AND is fresh in my mind when I want that bowl of cereal that whispers to me at night. I'm less likely to eat snacks at night if I just worked hard to get ahead.

I Also hang out in rooms FAR AWAY from the food. If i'm in the living room I know I'm too close to the food. Up in the loft (3rd floor) is my favorite spot, because it's 2 flights of stairs and I can't hear the cereal whispering to me from up there.

DON"T watch anything on FoodTV. Seriously, I love cooking shows (and cooking, and eating) so I keep foodtv for daytime only, and even then in extreme moderation. It's not their fault, but it is my problem.

Good luck. I know those evening demons, and they wil F*** with you hard. It's been the hardest part of adjusting to my new life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like to eat late too, so I just plan for it. I eat dinner around 8:30 - 9:00 and have dessert (usually fruit and cocoa almonds) just before bed.
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me if I don't eat enough during the day I'm more likely to night eat. So I would check if you are actually getting enough during the day.Sometimes when I night eat it's emotional, and if I ask myself what I'm feeling and why I'm hungry it is easier to avoid eating. I also read that melatonin helps with night eating.
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early if I start to feel the munchies coming on
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What everyone else is saying, save some calories for the night.