Fat girl running nsv!

Options
I've never been a runner. I can distinctly remember all the timed miles in pe class... Starting at about 4th grade... And always coming in close to last. By middle school, I'd just defiantly walk it. And I was thin back then! Even when I put in effort, running as much as I could, I never did better than 14 minutes.

2 years ago, I started the c25k, and made it almost to the end. I could run for 30 minutes, but I'd have to drop the speed to the low 4 something mph. Then I got pregnant and gave up.

Fast forward to January this year. I decided to lose the weight once and for all. Logging food, gym 5+ days a week, and committed! I've dropped almost 40 lbs so far! As my own litmus test, I was running a mile once a week to see how I'm improving. I still hated it, but it was a good test.

I started at like 16 minutes. I could run about 10% at a time, then 25%, at 5mph, with a 1 min walk break in between. My best time was 12:40.

Then I stopped. I haven't ran for probably 6 weeks. I was doing progressive lifting and alternating more effective (and enjoyable) cardio, and just didn't want to run! Why run when it only burns 160 cal/15 minutes when I can do something else and double that in that time frame, was my justification.

Well, today, I got back on the treadmill. I've always had a goal of a 12 min mile... But have never got there. I started at 5.5 mph, so I could give myself a little walking time. 2 mins... Feeling good. 4 mins... Had to drop the speed a little. 5 mins... I've been running for 5 mins! Up the speed! 6 mins... Half way? More than half! Keep running! 8 mins... I want to walk so bad... 10 mins... I'm huffing and puffing, but I'm not giving up! 11 mins... Less than a minute to go!

I watched the seconds count down... 3...2...1! 11:40! I RAN A WHOLE MILE! IN LESS THAN 12 MINS! HOLY COW!

So for any other heavy, non runners (I'm still just over 200 lbs), I know we all see it a lot, but if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO!

Replies

• annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!!!

I'm just at 200 pounds right now, and I'm on Week 3 of the Couch to 5K program - I had gotten up to Week 4 before, but it got hot and I just gave up

It was pretty hard running for that 5 min's when I did Week 4, but i've recently started doing my workouts in the morning so the temperature is waaaaay better. Hopefully when I start getting 5 min+ runs I'll be better this time.

Cant wait for my butt and boobs to stop bouncing so much when I run, though!!! lol
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!!!

I'm just at 200 pounds right now, and I'm on Week 3 of the Couch to 5K program - I had gotten up to Week 4 before, but it got hot and I just gave up

It was pretty hard running for that 5 min's when I did Week 4, but i've recently started doing my workouts in the morning so the temperature is waaaaay better. Hopefully when I start getting 5 min+ runs I'll be better this time.

Cant wait for my butt and boobs to stop bouncing so much when I run, though!!! lol

I double up on sports bras and wear a fitted work out shirt! I feel your pain!
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    OMG, girl, that's awesome!! Congrats! I'm working on that right now but my fastest at this point has been a 12:50 mile... and I'm still around the 230 mark. You are a testament that I will be able to do it before I'm "thin"!! :D
  • Madmoo70
    Madmoo70 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hope so. Ive just started the C25K on the treadmill and have done Session 2 today. Like you I have never been a runner in any shape or form. However, hubby started running in January and did great with this but he is annoyingly generally fit and not overweight. He ended up having to take supplements not to lose weight! I would love to be able to run for 30 mins so I could go out with him and not feel like a bright red blimp trailing behind him saying "I just cant do this". Im at 180lbs now and my goal is to get to 147lbs. Am also combining the C25K programme with fasting two days on the 5:2 diet so will hopefully see some results! Your post has given me faith - so thank you. :happy:
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner either. I've NEVER been able to run a mile in my life..not even in school for the gym tests. This past March (after almost a year of MFP, 57 lbs down, and lots of exercise-Turbo Fire), I randomly decided to go for a run one day to see if I could do a mile. I ran an entire mile in 11 minutes. My jaw dropped. I reached that mile marker and just couldn't believe it! I'd never done that in my life. (and I still weigh a little over 200 lbs, as well). This past May, I ran 3 miles non stop in 32ish minutes!!! 3 MILES!! I couldn't believe it!!!!!! It's amazing how quickly your body picks it up. I signed up for my first 5K in August, and I'm looking forward to that!!!! :) Congrats on your success!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! i've just started upping my efforts on the treadmill and the sidewalks in hopes of running. you're an inspiration. keep it up. :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You're a bad *kitten*!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You have made wonderful progress. Great job!!
  • hope1220
    hope1220 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good job on your progress!! I am also trying to run. I dont use the CK25 but a similar chart. I have never been a runner either. I'm not sure what my mile time is but for me I am up to running 10 min walk 2 min then run 10 more min. at 5.8 on the treadmill. I'm 5'5 170.
  • xxmzangel
    xxmzangel Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, great progress!! I just decided to take up running, decided to try just 1 mile yesterday, and finished at 14:56. Not an impressive feat by any means, but the fact that I'm 250+ lbs and was able to run/jog a mile non-stop was just an incredible feeling. :smile:
  • michellenichole83
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And good luck and keep at it for everyone who is on the road to becoming a runner too!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yay! You are a beast!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Well done. Keep up the good work. The benchmarking is great to measure your progress. When I first started running, it was recommended to me to always finish the distance you are shooting for. Run for as long as you can going as slow as you need to and walk the remaining distance or time frame. Next time try to go a little further. If you want to maintain the ability, you should try to do some sort of running 3 times a week. Amazing how fast it drops back off. Running has been my most efficient source of weight loss.

Congrats again!
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!!!!

I just started back jogging again. I splinted my shins a while back by trying to run at too heavy a weight before, so I had to allow healing time. Got on the treadmill the other day (30 pounds lighter than the last time I ran) and I can jog 10 minutes at a time. I am keeping my speed low and working on closing in the walking intervals until I can run a solid 5km. Then I'll work on time. :)
  • michellenichole83
    Options
    My next "big" running goal is a sub 36 min 5k....and I know I will get there eventually! Good luck to all!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Great job pushing yourself and proving that you could do it. :)
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel keep it up. I just hit 4 miles today and did it a little under and hour. I am over 200 pounds also. Keep pushing and you will keep improving.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!