low carb, high fat

Options

Replies

• fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ...so my thoughts are what works for one person will not work for the other so each person needs to do what works for them.

If you are not a fan of a keto-diet that is cool, then don't do it. For me, I have done the research, I am working with my doctor, I am doing body-comp analysis so I know it is real weight, I feel healthy and I am energized for my Insanity, Les Mills Pump and running exercise sessions. I wish you luck on your own fitness journeys.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Honestly I see the best results with counting calories while eating a balance of everything. Hit your minimums in protein & fatvand let the rest fall where they may. Less stressful too.

Can't agree with u more...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    ...so my thoughts are what works for one person will not work for the other so each person needs to do what works for them.

If you are not a fan of a keto-diet that is cool, then don't do it. For me, I have done the research, I am working with my doctor, I am doing body-comp analysis so I know it is real weight, I feel healthy and I am energized for my Insanity, Les Mills Pump and running exercise sessions. I wish you luck on your own fitness journeys.

I am not anti keto, in fact I used it myself last week to cut water weight. You are correct in saying that you should use the type of diet that suits you best. For insulin resistant people, that would be to lower carbs (not necessarily keto) and for insulin sensitve people that would be higher carbs/lower fat. (both should get adequate protein).

And I'm sorry but there is no way you lost 6lbs of fat in a week if that is you in your profile pic.

Good luck on your journey. If you want to stick with keto dieting, I'd highly recommend heading over to www.bodyrecomposition.com and read up on refeeds. Lyle McDonald wrote the ketogenic diet book and knows a thing or two about it.
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    I did this too where I lost 7 pounds on my weigh-in in one week. I am using supplements. The weight just fell off while I was eating a lot of fat. I am trying to get a fix on it, I mean to figure out how to repeat it. I suspected the same, maybe it is water loss. But I am drinking so much water as never before. I have lost inches. And the weight started falling away at a time when I was not doing anything appreciably different than the previous week except that my activity level was tremendous and I had so much energy I could not believe.

Now the weight-loss is a normal healthy pace, returning to what I know has worked for me in the past, only using supplements for a little edge. I am starting to restrict my food choices to fit certain known patterns. But I lost weight fast when not caring about food at all. I ate almost zero traditional grains, but had super-fruit and other nutrient dense foods despite fat content. I had chocolate, olive oil, avocados, tahini, sardines, steak, walnuts, sunflower seeds. There was a lot of fat and protein in my diet because I was trying to slow the weight-loss to a safer speed. Yet that just seemed to speed up weight-loss.

Does processing nutrient dense food actually result in negative calories? I mean, if someone who is at low or average levels of nutrition, gets a big dose of nutrient, does the body go through a transformation in order to quickly make use of the abundant nutrients?

Or maybe it was stress, like finding out my wife will have a baby soon and there being lots to do? Or the supplements, some coffee and tea, also really upped my stress? I am very relaxed now, though I reported being very relaxed then. It was the week before the fast weight-loss when I felt over-stress. I cannot explain it; this is new territory for me.

Way in the past I did do a low fat, high protein diet, with focus on calorie deficit as well. I had a lot of carbohydrates, though those were reduced by eating lentils and oats. I got 10% calories from fat and about 55g of protein. I don't remember my calories; but I know I reduced as much as possible on a student's nearly vegetarian-style budget. I rode a bicycle to school and work 26 miles a day to do both work and school and something like 17 miles on days where I was going only to school or to work. I lost about 1 lb. per week. It was a lot of effort in terms of regimen. I am wanting something less strenuous for this weight-loss period.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I feel better high carbs low fat vegan but definately must do lots of cardio and eat greens to stabilise energy.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump, I need this!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If people are insulin resistant simply counting calories wont always work. I know I needed to seriously avoid sugars (even from fruit) and watch my carbs.
    THIS!

Ketogenic eating is not optional for me - it is VITAL in order to regain my health. I am extremely carb sensitive, since I have severe insulin resistance and PCOS. Counting calories isn't enough for people with metabolic issues like this.

If you don't have a metabolic illness, eating a balanced diet at a caloric deficit to your TDEE should be enough to facilitate weight loss and better health.

You "can't" eat carbs to well. I understand it's important for your health. The person you're qouting is implying that weight gain/loss is more than about calories which isn't true. Even in your case.

Your body is made up energy/mass It uses energy all day. Eat less energy and your body will be forced to reduce it's size by using energy from the body. Carbs/protein/fats are ALL energy, nothing more. Calories in vs calories out.
    The person I quoted stated this with regards someone with insulin resistance. For someone with metabolic issues (ie. insulin resistance, diabetes, etc) it is more than calories in vs. out.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Regarding ketosis I can't see that any diet that is sucessful in losing weight can avoid ketosis. The body seems to use fat reserves as the last resort and if you are to use them you have to arrange things such that at some point there is no option but to dig into the fat reserves for energy and that is ketosis.

I am beginning to suspect that a diet that results in weight loss without hunger of cravings is one where the transition from glucose metabolism to ketosis happens overnight, though that is really just a guess. That would certainly explain the fact that I am almost always lighter first thing in the morning than last thing at night.

The difference between what is normally described as a ketgogenic diet, i.e. one used not for weight loss but for control of other symptoms, and one where people are simply restricting carbs is that in the classic ketogenric diet you eat more fat to make up for the calories forgone by eating less carbs.

Certainly that is not what I did or what I set out to do. I set out to create a calorie defecit as you would expect for a diet to lose weight and again that is what I did. To create that defecit I had two choices:

1. I could see the recommended proportion of calories from each food group as golden and simply try to eat less of everything, or:
    2. I could see where the most calorie dense foods were in my diet and eat less of them.

It seemed to me the latter approach was less likely to leave me feeling hungry and would therefore be easier to comply with and what I discovered was that while fat is quite calorie dense it would be hard to reduce that significantly without also eating less protein (assuming I stick to normal food rather than protein shakes etc.) The other things that were notably calorie dense were foods made from grains (including flour), rice and foods containing lots of sugar. Foods such as breakfast cereal, bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, chocolates.

So, I started eating less breakfast cereal and fewer slices of bread. I started having potatoes (NOT as chips) more often and pasta less often. When I do have pasta or rice I have smaller portion, i.e. smaller than the typically recommended size and I keep cakes and chocolates for the occasional treat.

Something else I noticed along the way is that food high in sugar seems to causes a short-term feeling of being energised followed by craving more. To a lesser extend the same seems to be true of baked goods and pasta. If I have the opportunity to respond to the feeling of being energised by taking some exercise this seems to avoid the subsequent craving though for this to be effective the timing is important.

That leads quite nicely into the effect of diet on athletic performance. If you're an athlete that is obviously very important. If you are, as I am, in a sedentary occupation where thinking is the primary activity athletic performance could hardly matter less. Don't get me wrong, I walk the dog, I cycle to the office on the occasions I need to go there and walk or cycle to other local activities and events because it lifts my mood, I believe it is good for me and by doing this instead of driving I benefit the environment and my pocket. But is does not really matter if I get there a few minutes quicker or manage to shave 5 mins off my normal dog walk.
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks Melampus, there were some very good observations. I would point out that you can actually obtain weight-loss without ketosis. Ketosis would only be required in a complete absence of sugars, for getting the activation energy for burning fat. You can have plenty of sugars and complex carbohydrates and still lose weight by eating less fat. But this method of weight-loss has in the past, for me at least, required a massive effort regarding exercise (26 mile biking every day for one pound per week loss).

Eating a low amount of carbs can also achieve weight-loss without ketosis, so long as blood sugar remains fairly constant. The problem you have with consuming refined sugar and experiencing cravings or tiredness is likely due to having triggered insulin. With a lot of insulin in your system, you may as well take a nap and start your day over, because continuing to feed the sugar beast is not going to give you any energy at some point.

One problem with getting your protein while cutting carbs is that to get amino acids in good proportion generally means eating high carb foods for a measly gram or so of the correct amino acid. Supplements, protein bars and shakes help out here greatly. If you want to get all your protein from the fresh-food grocer, then I might suggest lentils, a staple for vegan diets, short only in the amino acid methionine. Lentils are pretty good as far as the protein to carb ratio when compared to other foods in the grain/legume category. If you like broccoli as much as I do, you would have no trouble getting your methionine.

Or you could just get all your required protein from animal products, though that can cost. And when trying to get your vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients the amino acids from vegetables are only counted as calories when they are not balanced out with grain/legume amino acids. Potatoes have a good balance of amino acids as far as I know; but they have a lot of carbs too, not going to get any ketosis going on when having much potatoes in your diet.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any opinions on this way of eating/success stories? I've tried veganism, vegetarianism, high carb low fat, high protein, and low carb low fat. The one that was the best was low carb low fat, but it was too low in everything! The reason why I was wondering about low carb high fat is because I gained weight eating high carb (no grains but LOTS of fruit). Thanks all!

You gained weight by eating to many calories... not to many carbs. The diet you're talking about sounds like a ketogenic diet.

Just focus on your calories and call it a day.

Ketogenic diets work nicely for those with insulin resistance. If the OP has insulin resistance, a ketogenic diet might be a good option for consideration.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If people are insulin resistant simply counting calories wont always work. I know I needed to seriously avoid sugars (even from fruit) and watch my carbs.
    THIS!

Ketogenic eating is not optional for me - it is VITAL in order to regain my health. I am extremely carb sensitive, since I have severe insulin resistance and PCOS. Counting calories isn't enough for people with metabolic issues like this.

If you don't have a metabolic illness, eating a balanced diet at a caloric deficit to your TDEE should be enough to facilitate weight loss and better health.

You "can't" eat carbs to well. I understand it's important for your health. The person you're qouting is implying that weight gain/loss is more than about calories which isn't true. Even in your case.

Your body is made up energy/mass It uses energy all day. Eat less energy and your body will be forced to reduce it's size by using energy from the body. Carbs/protein/fats are ALL energy, nothing more. Calories in vs calories out.
    The person I quoted stated this with regards someone with insulin resistance. For someone with metabolic issues (ie. insulin resistance, diabetes, etc) it is more than calories in vs. out.

^^^QFT
  • maltedwheaties
    maltedwheaties Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any opinions on this way of eating/success stories? I've tried veganism, vegetarianism, high carb low fat, high protein, and low carb low fat. The one that was the best was low carb low fat, but it was too low in everything! The reason why I was wondering about low carb high fat is because I gained weight eating high carb (no grains but LOTS of fruit). Thanks all!

My opinion? It's the best way for myself to stick to a meal plan that restricts my calories and ultimately works for my weight loss through calorie deficit.
    I feel happier, less bloated without the carbs, and have healthier hair, skin and nails, because of the healthy fats I consume from avocados, nuts, cheese, coconut oil, butter and heavy cream.
    I still monitor my calorie intake, and stay under what MFP generates for me.
    But I just do it aiming for 65% fat, 30% protein and <5% carbs from my calories.
    Which is about 20-25 net grams (carbs minus fiber) of carbs per day.
    I wish you luck! :heart: Anyone feel free to add/message me if you'd like! We are all striving to get healthier and I could always use and provide the support! :drinker:
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options

I started with calories in vs calories out. Lost my last 15lbs that way. I've been doing low carb (under 100) and high fat for a bit over a month now and I feel it's helping with body composition. I think the hardest thing is that with this diet I feel very satiated with the high fat high protein low carb meals so I have trouble getting in 1600 cals a day.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Didn't work. Then I tracked my calories carefully. That works.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Honestly I see the best results with counting calories while eating a balance of everything. Hit your minimums in protein & fatvand let the rest fall where they may. Less stressful too.

NO SCIENCE IS ALLOWED ON THE INTERWEBZ!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait this isn't the Fox-News channel, nvm continue!
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight on low carb. I'm doing calorie counting now for lose the rest
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What is considered low carb these days?
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump