Is your Burger a Healthy Hamburger??

Options
I just bought Fresh Ground beef that is 93% Lean and 7% Fat. This saved about 60 calories per serving. What kind of ground beef do you make your hamburgers with? What tips do you have to make a burger / toppings even healthier?

Replies

• c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat half the bun. Sometimes I don't eat a bun at all.
  • GinaMarieG27
    GinaMarieG27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is a good idea!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I make my own 1/2 whole grain focaccia bread and cut it into squares, then in half for buns if I want one. Nice crusty chewy liquid holding crusts for low cal...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My burgers are deceased.
  • GinaMarieG27
    GinaMarieG27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fred, do you have a recipe to share?. That bread sounds delicious.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use 90/10 beef and not that crazy about buns but when I have a bun I like a Kaiser roll and cut a slice out from the center. The other roll I use is a crusty ciabatta with some of the center removed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just bought Fresh Ground beef that is 93% Lean and 7% Fat. This saved about 60 calories per serving. What kind of ground beef do you make your hamburgers with? What tips do you have to make a burger / toppings even healthier?

I'll get 90/10 and do a 1:1 ratio with ground pork to get it to around a 70/30 blend.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I use the lower fat beef or make a turkey burger. I also have not had a hamburger bun in 6 months and I don't miss it. If I did have one, though, I would probably remove the top. I love hamburgers- they were my favorite food as a kid.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    85/15 or some cases if I grind my own 70/30 makes for a much more flavorful hamburger. I never eat with a bun, just the thought of bread turns my stomach.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I go with 93/7 beef, a really good slice of full fat cheese of any variety, a whole grain bun because I prefer the taste (I like Pepperidge farm), romaine lettuce, a thick slice of tomato, a thick slice of Vidalia onion, some hot sauce, and a tasty, tasty IPA.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    90/10 grass-fed beef with cheese and a fried egg on top :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use ground sirloin and a grill pan to reduce the fat. I add on slice of cheese, lettuce and tomato. And I use Foldit bread instead of a regular hamburger bun. I do mix a T. of mayonnaise and a T. of ketchup to spread on the bread, but work this into my numbers. It all makes for a pretty good burger.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I use large pieces of romaine lettuce for the bread. So good.....
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes

2625223578_fddb78423b_o.jpg
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Yes

/homer simpson drool
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Yes

/homer simpson drool

I'd risk a coronary for one of those.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Fred, do you have a recipe to share?. That bread sounds delicious.
    Sure, basically you make the dough and roll it flat to about 1/2"-3/4" deep on a greased rectangular pan and bake at 425 for about 15-20 mins.
    I usually make something like this but roll it out a bit flatter for lower cal portions:

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-easiest-bestest-focaccia-bread-ever-27968

I usually leave out the cheese and oil (which works fine) unless I want a bit longer shelf life (then add a T of oil to the dough.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I use large pieces of romaine lettuce for the bread. So good.....

I do this too, it works pretty well.
  • nikiste
    nikiste Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I generally go with ground turkey. I think it's yummier, too.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    no donuts