MFP Runner's Club July 2

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I'm going after werk tonight. Should be nice & toasty by then! :tongue:

Ignore the bush on the right it isnt me I swear.

I'll be sure to put my makeup on before my run. :blushing:

bobeck_mimi2.jpg
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    okay, so I'm a little confused about food while training for a marathon. I know what I'm supposed to eat but should I still be reducing my calories? Should I make the deficit smaller or should I stay the same since I am eating all my exercise calories?
    Most of you experienced marathon runners are at or very close the their weight goals. Not sure if anyone can help or have suggestions.

Thanks!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    okay, so I'm a little confused about food while training for a marathon. I know what I'm supposed to eat but should I still be reducing my calories? Should I make the deficit smaller or should I stay the same since I am eating all my exercise calories?
    Most of you experienced marathon runners are at or very close the their weight goals. Not sure if anyone can help or have suggestions.

Thanks!

I would say still eat all your calories, but up your proteins some more.

My hubby's a vegetarian & is training for a marathon. I nag him all the time (it's what I do best :blushing: ) about getting enough protein.

Otherwise you'll start burning muscle. :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Options

Thanks!

My hubby's a vegetarian & is training for a marathon. I nag him all the time (it's what I do best :blushing: ) about getting enough protein.

I will definitely increase protein. I've noticed that I don't consume as much protein when summer is here. I don't know why, not as hungry I guess.

Thanks sistah!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like I am back in the mix! I spent all morning on the phone with IT and they couldn't fix it - I spend 5 minutes on the Microsoft website and I seem to have fixed the problem! I am switching careers!! IT here I come - oh, wait, they are in India :grumble:

I felt so left out - so much great stuff happened here yesterday! I am sooooooo happy with how well all of you are doing - and me too!! WE ROCK!! Happy Dance for all of us!! ** I am not going to run the risk of not being able to post today by adding some cute dancing banana emoticons here **

Wouldn't it be cool to log our total miles for the week and see how far we have all run collectively!?!?

so this has been my week so far:
    monday - 6.2 miles in 60 minutes - those boys in my group pulled my slow *kitten* the entire way (figuratively not literally)!
    tuesday - strength training - Body Pump Class - oh my gracious - now that slow *kitten* is sore from hundreds of squats! OUCH! anybody have extra advil!!??
    Wednesday - I DID IT!! I finally got out of bed early am and ran 3.2 (5K Mireille!) before the kids woke up. I am supposed to do 3 miles on Tuesdays with strength but it was DH birthday and he wanted some attention! WHATEVER!! Tonight - another 3.5 interval training...

then scheduled is:
    Thursday - don't know yet....maybe Yogalates in the morning?
    Friday - 4 mile fun run!!
    Saturday - 8 miles! OMG!

FATSIS - get out of the bushes and RUN!!
    Nicole - what is with the change in screen name - that completely through me off!?
    Kechie - looks like we are back to ridiculous humidity tomorrow - oh well, it was nice while it lasted!
    Pam - boo hiss on the rest! :sad:
    Shannon - Glad you are back!
    Heidi - we love having you hear - look how much value you have added already!
    JD - how you feeling my dear? see any difference yet? Cannot wait til you post new pics!
    Margie - how are you progressing - completed week 6 yet?
    BunnyR - figured out what to do with Crosstraining? bike, swim, ellipitical, walk, anything but run!
    Who did I forget....
    Ali - hope you back feels better girlie!! Advil, advil, advil.....
    WOW there were so many great posts today!! look how long this list is and I haven't gotten to everyone yet!
    Wonder where Afaurot is - think she started running and just didn't stop!?!?!

Missed you all - sorry for the long post! I had such bad withdrawals!! :sad:
    xxoo
    Tricia
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Holy smokes Tricia!! When is your rest day????? :noway:

bow.gif
  • RunFasterMommy
    Options
    Hello all of you runners! Today is a scheduled rest day from running. Supposed to hit a spin class mid-morning but forgot I had to go get my blood draw for a thyroid apt I have next week. Will try to get in a brisk walk while my kiddos are at dance tonight (yes, we are there 6 days a week between the two girls' classes... it's NUTS!)

Just checking in to say HI though.....
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Holy smokes Tricia!! When is your rest day????? :noway:

bow.gif

Well, Friday is supposed to be my rest day but the store where I do my training group is doing that 4 mile fun run and I really want to participate....and in reading my schedule it only has one rest day - I had been taking two, Friday and Sunday.

Rest is for suckers!! :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Hello all of you runners! Today is a scheduled rest day from running. Supposed to hit a spin class mid-morning but forgot I had to go get my blood draw for a thyroid apt I have next week. Will try to get in a brisk walk while my kiddos are at dance tonight (yes, we are there 6 days a week between the two girls' classes... it's NUTS!)

Just checking in to say HI though.....

Hey there busy Mom!! Glad you checked in !! Have a great night and get out there and keep moving!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Thanks!

The nutritionist cancelled on Monday nite - I was hoping to get answers for things like this...I have heard so much mixed info but consistently I hear what Shannon said - increase protein. I think we need to do more research to find out because I am like you and still have some weight to lose.
  • Shannon023
    Options

Thanks!

The nutritionist cancelled on Monday nite - I was hoping to get answers for things like this...I have heard so much mixed info but consistently I hear what Shannon said - increase protein. I think we need to do more research to find out because I am like you and still have some weight to lose.

The diet center I joined last year was a low carb/high protein diet. I lost a lot of weight that way. :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Thanks!

The diet center I joined last year was a low carb/high protein diet. I lost a lot of weight that way. :smile:

you just reminded me that I have to confess that I am addicted to 'bars' - fiberone bars, lunabars, pre-workout energy bars - whatever I can get my hands on! I eat like three a day and could eat three more if I had enough calories to spare! Wonder what the 'diet center' would say about that!?

Real food and Rest - both are for suckers! :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options

embarrassed.gif
  • pmkelly409
    Options

embarrassed.gif

This is my new philosophy....www_MyEmoticons_com__smokelots.gif
  • Shannon023
    Options

embarrassed.gif

This is my new philosophy....www_MyEmoticons_com__smokelots.gif

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Hahaha you all are so funny. I love reading this board. :)

My PT said you should eat as much protein as your body weight. So if you weigh 140 pounds, eat 140g in protein. I started doing it about 4 weeks ago, and it has made a BIG difference. I've lost weight (after being on a plateau) and I feel a lot stronger during my workouts.

He also took me off BREAD for four weeks. I'm not cutting out carbs - I still eat sweet potato, brown rice, oatmeal, veggies, fruit, etc, but he said so many people eat more carbs than they should, and taking out one of the foods will make a difference. This was all before I found this site, though, so it helps that your carbs are counted when you track them and that way you don't go over.
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Hahaha you all are so funny. I love reading this board. :)

My PT said you should eat as much protein as your body weight. So if you weigh 140 pounds, eat 140g in protein. I started doing it about 4 weeks ago, and it has made a BIG difference. I've lost weight (after being on a plateau) and I feel a lot stronger during my workouts.

He also took me off BREAD for four weeks. I'm not cutting out carbs - I still eat sweet potato, brown rice, oatmeal, veggies, fruit, etc, but he said so many people eat more carbs than they should, and taking out one of the foods will make a difference. This was all before I found this site, though, so it helps that your carbs are counted when you track them and that way you don't go over.

Great stuff! Keep it coming!

I have already cut out bread, for me it is the easiest carb to eliminate. I eat the same carbs as you do...exactly as a matter of fact.....I don't eat enough protein but in addition to my 'bar' fetish I have found those Boathouse Protein shakes and I drink 8oz after my workouts - yum!

Wow, I just went back and checked my food diary for last week - I am running out to the store now to buy some lean chicken!! bye!
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thanks for the info ladies!

I'm really going to have to sit down and make a mock menu to see how and where I can add my protein.

I have always heard that runners should eat more complex carbs than protein. It's really confusing.

Tricia, I can't wait to hear what the nutritionist has to say.

Thanks!
    :flowerforyou:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Going for a run after work!
  • nat8100
    nat8100 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi all!

I've been looking at beginners running training.. couch to 5k etc. I was wondering how you measure timings when you're running? Are there any neat bits of kit that will beep every minute or do you just guess?

Nat :smile: