Just had a wisdom tooth pulled....

Options
So I just had my wisdom tooth pulled about 6 hours ago. I've gone through 4-5 gauzes within that time and I have maned too clot finally! :happy:

Here is the big bad boy.. it had a cavity on it so they suggested to pull since it wasn't meeting with the other teeth... Copy and paste the link in the browser..:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php fbid=673470856002043&set=a.575631432452653.146845.100000174033075&type=1&theater

So my question for all you MFP's out there is what kind of things could I eat? Or what have you had in the past for this kind of tooth pulling thinggy? So far I've managed to have a cup of apple sauce and a cup of water. I also have pudding for later. I really want a hamburger but I can barely move my jaw up and down to chew. blahh.

I've used freezies as an ice pack to keep down the swelling and help with the clot but I cant eat them since they are meant to me sucked on.,.. which I can't do with a straw either for the next week. I don't want dry socket.

I'm on a very low budget, and am currently looking for a job! So before you reccomend protein shakes, make sure they are a resonable price.

Thank you!
Karlynn

Replies

• MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Soups, smoothies and purees?

That's pretty much common sense right? I dunno, it's been ages since I last had a tooth pulled out and I don't remember what I ate.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, refried beans, mac and cheese (not the healthiest choice, but helps calories), soft boiled egg, mushy peas, cooked greens, applesauce (as you've found), cream soups (watch for sodium levels). I think the pain should actually be getting better within 24-48 hours.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Trying to remember when I had those bad boys pulled...I would suggest yogurt, V8 juice (since its hard to eat veggies lol), sweet potatoes, soup, grits, oatmeal, jello, sorbet, hummus, pudding, Carnation Instant breakfast packets.. I know my friend ended up pureeing homemade mac & cheese when she got hers pulled and she loved it lol. Sounded weird to me tho. if I think of more I'll post them lol. Feel better :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Use a bag of frozen baby peas for your ice pack. They're the best! And make sure you keep that ice bag on (and off) all today. It will make a huge difference in the swelling and soreness.

The first day, I didn't want anything, just to sleep off the anesthetic. I got a double dose because I was apparently resistant. For food, I stuck to pudding, jello, ice cream and ice cream shakes with a spoon, applesauce, yogurt, etc for the second day. By the third day I was able to chew most non-tough foods, as long as I took my time. After that, I was good to go other than being really certain I didn't suck on anything.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not healthy but I ate spaghettios! And sucked on cheddar ruffles. And when I was a little better and could finally chew a bit I ate like half a loaf of sourdough sliced bread.

So healthier ideas: Cream of Wheat, soup, pudding, jello, shakes/smoothies, yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, mashed bananans
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh hunny, a hamburger? if you think you can eat that within the next week, good luck and more power to you. When i had my wisdom teeth pulled, i couldnt eat solid/ hard foods for two and a half weeks. I lived on yogurt, soups, smoothies and pasta. The hardest stuff i got in at about two weeks was scrambled eggs. To go for the healthy options, stick with some foods i listed before along with some mashed fruits and mashed sweet potatoes too.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear! Did that as a teenager... take it easy tomorrow, you're really going to need recovery time. If you've got a blender, a fruit smoothie is a good way to keep energy up without breaking the bank *too* badly.

Ice packs are your friend!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I ate Greek yogurt and drank protein shakes. I couldn't stand the thought of chewing food.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I just stuck to semi-liquid foods; oatmeal, porridge, yogurt, jello, hummus...
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Jello and you can get liquid shake meals if you don't feel you are getting enough.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    If you can swallow it, you can eat it! I wouldn't worry a whole lot about calories at this point because truth is you'll hardly eat as it is! I wasn't counting calories back in the winter when I had a wisdom tooth pulled but I was going on applesauce and soup for the most part for the first 2 or 3 days when I couldn't chew stuff and I doubt I would've gotten beyond my daily goal of these days. But if you want healthy, puree steamed veggies that you like, it's yummier than you'd think!
  • SpunkBean
    SpunkBean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just a thought-- watch the temperature of the soups and liquids for a bit (if your dentist didn't already tell you) -- too hot will dissolve the clot! Chocolate cream of wheat is actually pretty tasty, and graham crackers/oreos/nilla wafers dipped in milk long enough to get them soft enough will at least help you feel like you are actually chewing something, lol.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    One large banana or two small or heck as much banana as you want

One scoop of protein powder vanilla or chocolate

2 tablespoons or more peanut butter

2 or 3 table spoons of cocoa powder

blend the heck out of it and drink oh and of course add sweetener if you like add oatmeal if you like as well if you need more calories and fiber when you are ready for semi solids.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    hugs and hugs and hugs (had 4 wisdom teeth pulled, two at a time, and also had two other extractions -- Not.Fun.At.All).

before yo go and make a bunch of shakes - be careful about using a straw (IOW - don't use a straw) and also watch the temp of what you are eating - that is what i remember from the instructions given by the doc.

stick to semi-liquids and you should be OK in a few days.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are really that worried about what to eat.....I had all 4 of mne done at the same time (and one broke 3 times in the process)...I went to a demolition derby that night!

Eat what you want, chew on the opposite side or at least be mindful of how you are chewing....maybe avoid hot soups or drinks and don't use a straw to drink with...you will be fine!