i'm giving up......smoking!

Options
i've been smoking cigarettes since i was seventeen (so just about ten years... about the same time i began deeply suffering from social anxiety aaaand packing on the lbs ) and i've never truly had a desire to quit. i smoke about a pack a day and that's been my habit for about as long as i've smoked.

about six months ago, my mom (also a smoker on and off for about 20 years) bought both of us electronic cigarettes. she did really well with hers from day one, and is now down to the 0 nicotine liquid. i used mine for about two weeks and then like everything else, mostly gave up and started smoking regular cigarettes as well, until i worked back up to my normal pack a day.

a month ago, when made a real commitment to myself to start eating better and getting physically active, i really started to look at what a bad habit the cigarettes are, not just for the obvious health (and financial!) problems, but that if i really want to get physical, the smoking will be a problem. and i really want to start running. and taking care of my body, both for the now, and the future. so i'm not going to play around with the e-cigarette. it's just a pacifier and for me personally, it just makes me crave a regular cigarette each time i take a puff.

i'll admit i'm scared. can i do it?
i just know that for the first time, i truly want to stop.

Replies

• taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you Sarah! I'd been smoking since i was 15 (little under 5 years) I've been cold turkey for 1 week as of today :D with minimal cravings (I was not a heavy smoker, but I could go through half a pack depending on the day) I've been using an Electronic cigarette, it gives you the action of smoking, which for me was a big thing since every time I've quit I've always missed the action of smoking, and QuitX mint gum, it's strong (I got 4mg) and it really kills any nicotine cravings and I've only needed about a piece a day. Best of luck, you can do this!!
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I actually smoked for over 40 years and gave it up cold turkey 6-1/2 years ago. Best decision I ever made. At the same time I gave up cigarettes i joined WW because I was afraid I would gain weight. To make a long story short, I actually lost 18 lbs when I gave up cigarettes. You can do it....save money and become a healthy person.

Good luck!!
  • Tattx
    Tattx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone who quits smoking is different. For me it came down to my daughter asking me to stop. I thought since I didn't smoke in the house, it wasn't really affecting her. I was wrong and after listening to her, I let her throw my cigs in the outside trash and didn't look back. It has now been over a year.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My husband quit one month ago after about 40 years of smoking. I never thought I'd see the day! He said he felt like he couldn't breathe when he was climbing stairs, which is part of his job, and felt that he had to quit - no other choice.

If he can, you can! Best wishes.