Suggestions or articles for avoiding night eating?

Options

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I like warm milk if I'm having trouble sleeping, and the protien will help curb any late night hunger :)
  • Jenn010101
    Jenn010101 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after supper around 7-8 then by the time I get home and jump in the shower I watch tv/do chores for an hour and head to bed. I find if I keep busy the snacking is kept to a minimum.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Pretty much what everybody else said!!!! Do you exercise? That has helped me to sleep better at night so I don't wake up to eat.
  • HorseFly
    HorseFly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I go for the popcorn or the cauliflower. Cauliflower has a lot of crunch and you can put like a tsp of ranch or other dressing on it and shake it and then it has a nice snacky flavor for very little calories. You could probably use other seasonings too. Another good low calorie snack is hard boiled eggs or low fat cottage cheese.

You might also try having more protein and healthy fats during the day and less carbohydrates to not get as hungry. I switched from about 300g carbs a day to 150g and increased protein to make up the difference in calories and I feel a lot less hungry at night.

Just watch out because sometimes late night snacking is a sign of having too few calories day after day. I actually have insomnia when I cut back calories too much. I also wake up with headaches from my blood sugar getting low overnight.

All things I have found from experience. Maybe some of it will work for you.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pop half of a Melatonin (natural sleep regulating pill), and crash out early to avoid eating.

Also, if you tell yourself that you can indulge in whatever you're craving at a slightly later time (say you calculate it into your lunch tomorrow), you won't see your craving as forbidden, sometimes that makes it a little easier.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too....big time. Most folks now agree that the time you eat does not matter to weight loss. That being said I still don't like doing it. Now I save 10 percent of my daily calories approx 200 for night time eating. Usually this is fruit and chicken breast. That seems to be working for me. As far as fluids go... I pee too damn often at night now so .... Additional water does not help.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Save calories for bedtime by reducing or delaying your caloric intake during the day. Then, when you're hungry at night, eat -- just stay within your calorie allowance.

If you can't save calories for a night snack, try *kitten*.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking melatonin? It is a chemical found in your body. My 11 year old has had a sleeping disorder for years. His neurologist suggested it. Also, try eating a very high protein meal or evening snack. That will help you stay full.
  • trinitypinecone
    trinitypinecone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had success with preparing food for the next day as a way to avoid excessive late night eating. Doing something with food other than eating it satisfies. Making a grain based salad that involves chopping up vegetables and is supposed to blend flavors overnight so it isn't really edible right away has helped both the late night eating and the having something healthy ready for the next day.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Save calories for bedtime by reducing or delaying your caloric intake during the day. Then, when you're hungry at night, eat -- just stay within your calorie allowance.

Yup!!! :drinker:

+1

There's no way I would have lost the weight I needed to lose and gotten to my goal weight and size without a bed time snack. Usually peanut butter and jelly on an English muffin. If I'm at all hungry, I can't sleep. So, I built in a sizable bed time snack into my eating plan. Problem solved.

You need to find what works for you.
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    I find exercising helps avoid binging, especially night time exercise. I rarely go over my calorie intake if i exercise, and never go over If I exercise between 9 and 10 pm. There's less time to eat if I do something active, I can eat a bit more, and I really don't want to destroy my hard work with a binge. Non exercise days are a struggle.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as the OP. I am doing really well during the day, but I have a hard time getting to sleep at night and felt the urge to snack, snack, snack. Some of the things that I have been doing is drinking tea after dinner. Its helps to calm my cravings. Also, before I submit my food diary for the day, I add 2 snacks to my total, this means they are already calculated in my total calories of the day. For example, I've already eaten dinner tonight and I added 2 snacks to my journal that I'll eat tonight when/if I get a craving. Tonight its 100 calorie emerald almonds/walnuts and 2 graham cracker sheets. Also, another thing that I've been doing at night when its hard for me to sleep is to look at inspiration weight loss videos on youtube. I love seeing people who have lost weight and hear about their stories and their journeys. It helps me to remember that I want to be where they are now. It helps me re-focus and not run for lots of snacks at night. Hope this helps :)
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

THis...Also, what is your calorie goal for the day?

• theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

It's only been a problem off and on. I find that late night snacking leads to more late night snacking over the next couple days. I've read that the habit gets ingrained because you "program" your body to wake up for a meal it begins to expect in the middle of the night.

When I have nothing going on the next day, I can wait it out and just keep trying to fall asleep until eventually I do. But there have been times when I lie in bed for 2 hours and simply can't sleep. I know they say to get up and do something, but the problem is that I can stay up for 2 hours easy and I just struggle to fall asleep.

If I have something going on the next day, and get into that mode of "I need to sleep because I have things to do tomorrow" eating sometimes seems like a quick fix so I can get the sleep I need to function the next day.

I will try suggestions here. I think getting a routine may help. If I can't sleep I may try having a cup of warm tea. I'll probably buy a bottle of melatonin for emergencies. I have a prescription to Ambien CR, but I want to get off of the stuff. I could take that if I had a real emergency, but the problem is that I easily get to the point where I can't sleep without the stuff. The reason I'm struggling is partially because I am trying to get off Ambien CR.

But again, thanks for all of the advice!
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to work out whether you are eating out of hunger, boredom or habit then address it. If it's hunger I would suggest more protein for your evening meal. If it's boredom get busy doing stuff in the evenings so you don't snack, and if it's habit then develop a new evening wind down routine, which will probably include a small snack and tea, reading a book, hot bath etc.
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always plan my day so that I can eat a late meal. I have really bad willpower, especially at night when I'm relaxing, so this way I'm still in control
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The doctor's office I work at often recommends a melatonin supplement to help with sleep- I was skeptical at first (mind you, I don't have trouble sleeping), but so many of our patients transitioned off Ambien and other heavy duty sleep meds that I encouraged my mom to give it a try- it has helped her a lot! I believe you can buy those in most vitamin aisles. Just an idea, I can't attest to it from personal experience, but have seen a ton of success stories. Unlike Ambien, or medicines, it is a vitamin, non habit forming, and does not those side effects that make sleep meds dangerous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine had problems falling asleep too. Got a mask and earplugs and now sleep soundly. So soundly she has to force herself to wake up because she can't hear her alarm clock.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The doctor's office I work at often recommends a melatonin supplement to help with sleep- I was skeptical at first (mind you, I don't have trouble sleeping), but so many of our patients transitioned off Ambien and other heavy duty sleep meds that I encouraged my mom to give it a try- it has helped her a lot! I believe you can buy those in most vitamin aisles. Just an idea, I can't attest to it from personal experience, but have seen a ton of success stories. Unlike Ambien, or medicines, it is a vitamin, non habit forming, and does not those side effects that make sleep meds dangerous.

Melatonin has done wonders for me. I sleep easier and wake up more rested. Definitely recommend trying it.
  • myriddian
    myriddian Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evenings 4/7 days so by the time I've done my workout normally from 8-9:30ish, get home, have a protein shake, shower then jump into bed.
    I've found this curbs the snacking habit and even though I have to chance to change my routine now and return to morning exercise the evening routine has really helped me so I'll stick with it.

Also I used to drink lavender tea before bed, tastes like crapola but worked a dream when I couldn't sleep!

Good luck