knee pain = doubts and depression

Options
Tomorrow I was suppose to do c25k week 4 day 3. However due to knee pain, I won't be running. I've had the pain for close to 2 weeks. It started as a nuisance pain and then after Tuesday's run it graduated to actual pain. So now I'm sitting out tomorrow and who knows for how much longer. Its got me feeling really down. This is my first journey into weight loss. I've never dieted before, I've never exercised before (beyond what you were required to do in PE in school). Everything had been going so well. I've hit my weight loss goals each week. I was loving c25k and running. It makes me feel great. And now I'm sidelined. I'm scared that knee pain is going to keep me from becoming a runner. I'm afraid that if I do get back to running all my endurance is going to be gone. I'm scared that I'm going to gain back the pounds that I've lost. I am looking for happy ending stories from people who recovered from knee pain. I also would love any tips or advice from anyone on things they have done to help with knee pain and preventing knee injuries Thanks.

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You may be sidelined from C25K ( and you really should rest your knee) but you're not sidelined from losing weight. I've been through that before and I worked through it. There certainly isn't anything special about me - I just had to change my point of view. I started losing weight when I was recovering from surgery and could not work out. I was doubtful that I could lose weight without exercise. The fine people here on mfp helped me understand that I don't need exercise to lose weight. I just need a calorie deficit. So you don't have to gain back what you've lost and you can even keep losing. Here's another thing to keep in mind: You don't have to run. You can do pilates, swim, do yoga, or lift weights. I highly recommend lifting weights. I would like to run or do more strenuous cardio but I have weak adductors and I pull them easily so I have to be careful what kind of exercise I can do. I walk, lift weights, and do what cardio I can without hurting myself. And sometimes I do hurt myself and have to take it easy for a while. So my advice is to stop focusing on what you can't do and start focusing on what you can do and do it.

Also, my husband has a bad knee and he swears by glucosamine/chondroitin supplements.

One last thing: are you wearing good, supportive sneakers?
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'll keep this short and simple.

You're doing a good thing by resting when your body tells you to rest. Don't let your brain guilt trip you into thinking you need to push through the pain.

Pushing through the pain will lead to a bigger injury and longer recovery time. I know. I've been there.

You're heading in the right direction in your weight loss journey. This journey is a life long, solo marathon. You may not be running right now, but you're not standing still and you're sure as hell not walking backwards. Just keep moving forward at whatever pace you can. Remember, weight loss is not a race and there is no finish line. Will you lose some endurance by resting so that your knee can recover? Maybe. Its definitely possible. But its a whole hell of a lot better than injuring yourself further by trying to run when you shouldn't be. Think of it this way: You may not like it, but resting is the best of two aggravating options.

Let your body recover, and then try running again. Every one can get injured, especially if you're new to running. Don't give up, just get back in the saddle after your knee is better :)
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    Have you paid attention to how your feet are striking the ground when you run. When I first started a C25K app, my knees hurt a lot too. I read some books on running and form and found out that striking with your heel first is hard on your knees. I also tended to rotate my feet out which is an additional stress on your knees. By changing my strike to the mid/forefoot and being conscious of keeping my feet straight and aligned with my knees, I have no more knee pain.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do feel as if my form is bad. I got new shoes in hopes that that would help with some of the bad form. I feel as if I rotate my foot too much on the inside( I probably heel strike too, I just haven't noticed it). I haven't really been able to test out the new shoes due to the pain. I can deal with having to rest, I know its the wisest move to prevent serious damage. I just really don't want to have to give up the running. I really like it and thats not something I've been able to say about most forms of exercise.