Is your Burger a Healthy Hamburger??

Options

Replies

• nikiste
    nikiste Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    90/10 grass fed beef. I put some gluten free bread crumbs (rice crumbs?) gf BBQ sauce, an egg, garlic, parsley and S&P to taste. Burgers are awesome, we make them so often we have a professional quality burger press from my hubby's old butcher shop. I will sometimes sautee onions and shredded zucchini and add them to the mix also.
    That sounds so yummy! Must try sometime!!
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy premium mince, shape into patties, put them in the pan and sprinkle salt and pepper on top to season. We serve them on an open ciabatta bun topped with loads of salad on both sides of the bun. They take about five minutes to throw together including cooking the patties.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ever since I finally bought some 80/20 grass fed beef I fell in love. Just a little salt and pepper. I used to get the cheap 80/20 at Trader Joe's and that was a sticky mess by the time I finished making 1 patty and just doesn't compare.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers or ground turkey.

Go a step further with Josephs tomato basil flax lavish bread. 1 sheet is 100 calories. Cut into quarters and you have a 50 calorie hamburger bun that is pretty darn good.

For those of you counting that's a 200 calorie burger (before condiments).
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I use veggie patties or salmon patties, which cuts down alot of the calories(and with the salmon option there is still protein).
    If I buy frozen salmon patties, I burn the **** out of them to get some level of chewy/crunchiness because they tend to be mushy.

Also like half a tomato sliced up in there, and just a little ketchup. I don't skimp on cheese, because it's the best part. Whole fat cheese.

Sliced wheat bread instead of buns because It's more likely to already be in my kitchen my boyfriend freezes hamburger buns when he buys them, and I can't figure out how to thaw them without them being soggy :(
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    I usually use the extra lean beef but will vary now and then with lean chicken or turkey although everyone tells me turkey burgers are too dry so I very rarely do them. I just found today some ground lamb, very curious to try that out! Anyway, I've grown used to having only the patties without buns and for the most part only eat them with a little bit of honey dijon mustard and a pickle on the side.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Why are hamburgers called hamburgers when they don't contain any ham?
    Same reason someone from Latin America is called Latino/Latina and don't speak a lick of Latin.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Meh, I cook all the time so if I want a "healthy" burger, I go to Nation's or Dave's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    You can also just drain higher fat beef during the cooking process, although this works better with crumbled ground beef.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    cause they're named for the city Hamburg in Germany:laugh:

to the OP - i make asian style chicken burgers that we love (i make a big stack and freeze), and i also make smaller burgers when using beef. I don't usually eat on a bun, sometimes i'll use a whole wheat pita or tortilla or just eat them with cooked veg and salad (no bread)

I'm going to have to try wrapping in lettuce - that sounds pretty awesome
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    90/10 grass-fed beef with cheese and a fried egg on top :)

I could do with that now , sounds so good .. and BACON
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Yes

2625223578_fddb78423b_o.jpg

this with a diet soda :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ^^ made my day
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's based on Hamburg steak, invented in Hamburg, Germany.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Transfats! One reason I'm not a big meat person
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Transfats! One reason I'm not a big meat person
    There's a big difference between natural transfats found in meat and dairy, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. The natural ones are called Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA)....you may want to look it up.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    turkey burgers all the way!
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Yes

2625223578_fddb78423b_o.jpg

this with a diet soda :)

OMG......... I WANT THIS FOR A CHEAT, lol.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Indeed it is.
    90% lean sirloin burger, few onion strings and a little mustard.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I go all in ..avocado, onion, tomato, grond beef, american cheese, and whole wheat bun ..when I want a burger I am going to have a freaking burger and not some nanny panny "healthy burger" ...

did someone say a turkey burger is better than a real one???? WTF is up with that...really?