A daily heart rate monitor that does it ALL!!

Options
I want a accurate heart rate monitor that I can wear all day. Kind of like a fitbit or so on but I want it to track everything including my heart rate. I feel like so many people wear/.use like three different objects. Isn't there like one thing that does it all? I have looked into the digifit thing because quite honestly not wearing a watch would be amazing and just having it hook up to my phone :) but its like you get a daily tracker and a regular HRM. There isn't one thing out there that does it all and is accurate? I would love to see my sleep schedule, calories burned, actual heart rate at all times, steps taken and so on all on one item.....

Replies

• bakerh518
    bakerh518 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My motherinlaw has the "jawbone" it tracks EVERYTHING it is a small wrist wrap that you wear night and day, it tracks sleep, tells you when you wake up And all that. She loves it! It is compatible with myfitnesspal.com too! :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    My motherinlaw has the "jawbone" it tracks EVERYTHING it is a small wrist wrap that you wear night and day, it tracks sleep, tells you when you wake up And all that. She loves it! It is compatible with myfitnesspal.com too! :)
    Jawbone isn't a HRM. Neither is Bodymedia Fit but its more accurate than Jawbone or Itbit.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar HRM.

I have a Polar FT40, it's great. The things you listed are not heart rate monitors, they're souped-up pedometers
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The closest thing I can think of to what you want (that you can actually buy right now) is the new Pulse by Withings. It is basically a fitbit, but it also includes a hrm. HOWEVER, it does not track it continuously, you have to press your finger to it to get a reading.
    It does all the things the fitbit does, steps, calories, sleep, etc.

http://www.withings.com/en/pulse

$100.

Oh, there is the Basis Band, but it is $199 and out of stock. Dunno when they will be available to actually purchase.

https://www.mybasis.com/tour/

The future will be amazing for these types of devices. The Amiigo looks awesome.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/13/finally-a-fitness-tracker-that-actually-knows-what-youre-doing/

Mike
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing. get a rmr test if you want to know. any machine just guesses.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing on the market at the moment. i have a fitbit flex which is awesome but does not track HR. I'd like to buy a polar ft4 for for crossfit WOD's but just don't have the spare £50! But that is the one I'd recommend anyway.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar HRM.

I have a Polar FT40, it's great.
    They are not designed to be worn all day
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar HRM.

I have a Polar FT40, it's great. The things you listed are not heart rate monitors, they're souped-up pedometers

To wear all day?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I would love to see my sleep schedule, calories burned, actual heart rate at all times, steps taken and so on all on one item.....

Why?

You will never see this all in one item. Not in our lifetime anyway. I still cant believe they still dont have a strapless HRM yet. Well they do, but Im talking about one that you didnt have to stop and touch with your fingers to get a reading.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So, I use two devices...

I use a Fitbit to track my movement and capture my walking, and when I go to the Gym, I put on the HRM (I have an Undergear Armour 39) to track my activity at the Gym. I load all the numbers into My Fitness Pal, and get my daily burn. Gives me a good view, but do not get too caught up in the numbers. Your body does not work that exact.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think bodymedia In the us is bringing out a new device with a hrm strap add on, sometime in the fall?
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    After being on a six month waiting list, I finally got my Basis Band last week and just packed it up for a return this morning. They don't share on the website what all Basis Band wearers learn very quickly -- the BB will NOT track you HR in real time like a HRM and thus, when you work out, will not track your actual calories burned. It's a cool device for sure, albeit huge for a woman's wrist. You can see your HR throughout the day, track your sleep patterns, steps ... all that. But the minute you do an activity, like climbing the stairs or working out hard, that's where it fails. I was at the gym when it read that my HR was 69 and I burned 300 calories. I think doubling both of those was more accurate. The web interface is super cool, too, shows you habits and not just stats, but for $200 I want to at least ballpark my calories burned after I kick it at the gym.

I'm also excited for the Amigo. Sounds like that might take off where the BB left off. Oh, and note -- if the BB is your thing and you give it a try -- you cannot return it without a restocking fee. $30. They don't mention that up front either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar HRM.

Wrong. Bodymedia actually makes a great calorie expenditure counter because of the use of 4 sensors. An HRM CAN'T read anaerobic exercise accurately compared to a Bodymedia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tiffany_Danielle88
    Tiffany_Danielle88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Link and I love it! Connects to MFP too!
  • depaul225
    Options
    Why wouldn't an advanced Polar heart rate monitor with chest strap work for all day?

I mean it would be uncomfortable, but it would be relatively accurate.

I was gonna try using my FT7, to see what I burn all day (instead of relying on the calculator online that simply uses weight, age, sex, and time spent doing certain activities).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't an advanced Polar heart rate monitor with chest strap work for all day?

I was gonna try using my FT7, to see what I burn all day (instead of relying on the calculator online that simply uses weight, age, sex, and time spent doing certain activities).

They are designed to just be accurate with raised heart rate and so are no good or all day use
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Because the formulas that HRMs use to estimate calories burned are based on steady state moderate intensity cardio.
    "The linear HR vs. VO2 relationship applies to moderate-intensity activity but is nearly a flat slope during low-intensity activity, resulting in a low correlation between HR and EE (Energy Expenditure) during sedentary and low-intensity activities. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Calories burned are dependant on weight and intensity. Thats it. HRMs estimate calories burned based on the above noted relationship between HR and VO2 max. It requires the additional information of sex, age, etc, in that formula.

Some more good reading
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201005
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • depaul225
    Options

Because the formulas that HRMs use to estimate calories burned are based on steady state moderate intensity cardio.
    "The linear HR vs. VO2 relationship applies to moderate-intensity activity but is nearly a flat slope during low-intensity activity, resulting in a low correlation between HR and EE (Energy Expenditure) during sedentary and low-intensity activities. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Calories burned are dependant on weight and intensity. Thats it. HRMs estimate calories burned based on the above noted relationship between HR and VO2 max. It requires the additional information of sex, age, etc, in that formula.

Some more good reading
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201005
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

So I should only rely on the heart rate for ~120+ heart rate? correct?

Or a better question: If I can determine what my average heart rate is per the HRM for, say, a 2 hour period (and the actual readout on the HRM for calories is incorrect based on the calculation of low-intensity activity). Then I take that number, say, 85bpm, where could I input that 85bpm to determine the calories burned for that 2 hour period?
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This thread is a little old, but I wanted to say something.

I have an older polar HRM with a chest strap. Great for workouts, bad for tracking all day (because the strap needs to be moist to work).

However, I was just on the polar website and they're coming out with a new HRM due out in April of 2014, that will do everything (so it seems). But I can't figure out if it's strapless or not. I haven't seen the word 'strapless' which tends to mean it's not, but I'm just not sure yet. It's called the V800. It'll probably be 3-400 bucks at first...but I'll wait a bit and maybe get one. It is clear though that it will monitor activities and HR 24/7 (it says this).

I really want something that tracks calories burned BASED on heart rate, age, and weight, as this is the most accuracy you can hope for. I'd really love to get a better ballpark on actual calories burned on days I go to work but don't do exercise, days I'm super lazy and lay around all day (on weekends), days I do work out and go to work, and days I don't go to work, but work out.