Work out first thing in the morning?

Options
My work schedule is changing and I'm seriously considering hitting the gym first thing in the morning instead of the evenings like I have been. (think 6am *shudders*)

for those early morning risers, my question is this - do you eat before you go work out? i try to eat an hour before i work out, but waking up that early in the morning to eat, wait, work out - it just isn't feasible!

any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks :)

Replies

• leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5AM and I do not eat before the workout.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    when I work out with my trainer at 5:30am I have to eat or else i would not make it through the workout.

I usually have yogurt with some berries and nuts. I was afraid that I would end up puking it up, but I haven't....so far. :)
  • vickyg1986
    vickyg1986 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30AM, eat a small banana or a small toast with peanut butter and work out. Then after I shower I have my breakfast. I cannot work out on an empty stomach.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't eat, sometimes I eat some or all of a Luna bar. Usually all is too much, and I'll start feeling queasy, but a couple bites makes me feel better.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before a workout because I would at the very least get stomach cramps. I do have plenty of friends that must eat or they will pass out cold.

This is really something you are going to have to figure out for yourself. Do you eat right before an evening workout? Maybe just a cup of coffee would do you in the AM.

And it really is not that bad, you get used to it LOL :flowerforyou:
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always eat before working out. Exercising on an empty stomach makes nauseous. It doesn’t bother me to eat and then immediately exercise so I don’t find the need to wait a certain amount of time between eating and exercising.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This morning was my first time trying to workout in the morning, and I think I'm going to stick w/ it! While I am NOT a morning person, I much prefer to get my workout down and out of the way first thing!! Then I can just enjoy the rest of my day! I woke up at 5:15 this morning and hit the trail at 5:30. Did my 2 mile run and went home and got ready for work. What a wonderful and refreshing way to start my day! I didn't eat before because it was so early, but by the end of my run I was STARVING and very weak! I hate to eat before a workout because I get uber cramps, though, so I'm not sure how to fix this one. I'm not waking up at 4:30 just so I can eat and let it settle before my workout..no thanks.. Lol I just eat breakfast after!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:45 for a 6:30 class. I don't eat first. But when I take the 8 Amclass, I have a cheese stick first.

Pack an energy bar or banana to eat en route, or right afterwards. See how you feel.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and am out the door by 5:30. I do not eat before hand but I do eat something right after I finish. If I'm at home I will have a PB&J on toast before the shower; if at the gym I will eat a Kashi Honey/Almond/Flax bar or a piece of fruit before I go back to the locker room just to get something in my system before I get to work.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    something small and nutrient packed seems to be the key here. i never feel like eating when i first wake up (never skip breakfast though). thanks for the tips you guys! :)
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Usually I eat a small breakfast before my workout (which can be anywhere from 20 mins. to 2 hrs. long) because I can't run on an empty stomach. I found a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter is filling, gives me energy, and doesn't weigh me down. I can eat it seconds before I go on a run and have absolutely no stomach problems.

I would suggest to try around with a few food items (before that, I ate a piece of string or a small bowl of cereal but neither settled well). Once you find a good food, stick with it! Good luck!
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks!! i'm going to try a kale/pineapple protein smoothie tomorrow morning and see how it goes.
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options
    I love 1 tbsp of almond butter before my am workout...gets me through then breakfast after!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:15 for a 5am class. I'm a night person if you can believe it. I didn't used to eat anything before working out, simply because it was so early - but I recently started doing it to see if it helped my energy. It's definitely made a huge difference. Basically I wake up, immediately go downstairs and eat a small snack, and then head back up stairs to get ready to go. It's not easy getting up so early but I will say that it's awesome to get my workout out of the way. Makes me feel good for the rest of the day and I'm much more likely to eat healthy.
  • AndiNofziger
    Options
    I changed to morning workouts a few months ago--it is the only way I can consistently get to the gym--and I love it. Up at 4:51 a.m., to the gym by 5:05, and home by 6:00. I tried gulping down some food on the drive, but it was too rushed and too close the the workout time--it just made me uncomfortable. However, try both and see what works for your body. Once you make a habit of getting up early to work out, you'll enjoy the boost it gives you for the rest of the day!
  • Meleahb
    Meleahb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4.45am:yawn: and begin 5km run at 5.15am. I don't eat anything but I do religiously have a Berocca, I find that it gives me that BBBounce:laugh: (or that maybe all in my head). Good luck with the morning exercise, I love it.:love: I ran this morning but am also doing a Pump class this afternoon for the first time in a very long time.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a light breakfast before I work out in the morning, sometimes I work out completely fasted. Both methods work fine for me.
  • Randagia
    Randagia Posts: 1
    Options
    I always go without eating anything and still have a lot of strenght. I would recommend to eat some almonds and drink some skim milk 15 minutes before bed, not to have that hungry-nausea feeling when you wake up (it will disappear in less than a week anyways)
  • iqbalkaurthin
    iqbalkaurthin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is no rule. You have to find out whats works for you better. If you eat dinner late, you are probably full in morning and dont need to eat anything. If you eat very light dinner or very early, you may need a small snack to last through your workout
  • esteeetee
    esteeetee Posts: 24
    Options
    I ususually get up at 6, have a coffee with two sugars n head straight to gym. Breakfast is eaten once I'm done and get to work at half 9 xx