Anyone else considered morbidly obese and feel discouraged?

Options

Replies

• GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yeah, another obese class III here. I'm too impatient for 10lb goals. I buy myself some clothes or exercise equipment every Five pounds! I think I will also be happy just to be overweight again. I'll certainly change my goals to .5 pounds/week at that point.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys :)
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    According the BMI charts Im "Obese". I dont consider myself obese. Overweight? Yes, but not obese.

38319904.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

This is how I feel also. :cry: :drinker:
  • truckdriverjeremy
    truckdriverjeremy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started out at super obese with a BMI of 55.1. You've already lost 49lbs, awesome job! Just keep at it. It adds up quickly over time. I've lost 30lbs since january and when i look back it seems like january wasn't that long ago.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I started out at super obese with a BMI of 55.1. You've already lost 49lbs, awesome job! Just keep at it. It adds up quickly over time. I've lost 30lbs since january and when i look back it seems like january wasn't that long ago.

I find it provides additional motivational milestones.

On Christmas Day 2012, my BMI was "Super Obese" at 45.59.

By late March, I was under 40 and class II obese.

As of today, I'm no longer "morbidly obese", I'm class I obese at 34.95. (I have other conditions so "morbid" starts for me @ 35 instead of 40).

I look forward to achieving "overweight" and "normal".
  • ianpret
    ianpret Posts: 1
    Options
    According to the BMI chart, I'm too short!
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Work ur *kitten* off, take it one day at a time. Don't be discouraged and staying consistence is important. The difference between the winner and the loser isn't failure. The difference is the loser gives up and the winner keeps showing up.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    BMI is a load of crap. Yeah I said it. I don't think it's a very helpful tool for indicating health

Fat is a side effect of an unhealthy lifestyle and it's that unhealthy lifestyle that is putting you at risk for all the health problems associated with obesity.

Once you change your lifestyle and start losing weight, the risk of those health problems will lessen BEFORE you escape that obese BMI.

So please dont be discouraged, you've made great steps to improve your health and your life and you are healthier now at this current weight going down, than you were at the same weight going up. Your body will catch up and you can enjoy your new health right now.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did 10 pound goals. It made it much easier. (But always keep the long term goal in the back of my head)

This :)

In the UK we already have am easy goal setting of 14 lbs since this is 1 stone. I am 13 stone 4 lbs so just 4lb to my next mini goal and 2 lb past my previous goal which = 3 stone lost. Psychologically it is better to have those mini goals that are achievable. Another one of mine is 1lb a week. This is harder than I thought when I set it as I do not lose it weekly but I do monthly. (I should change it to 4 lb a month!)
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Those BMI charts have tripped me up before and discouraged me to the point that I gave up. When I lose 100 pounds, I will still be obese! But I can't think about that. That's what I love about MFP. I just log in every day and put in my food and exercise. It tracks all of my numbers. My ticker shows my progress. It even announces my successes! I think I can make it to my goal this time with MFP's help. And you can make it too!
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It's all just words. You know exactly how overweight you are. What other people choose to classify that as isn't your concern.

I read that "A BMI of ≥ 45 or 50 is super obesity". To me, that sounds like something to aim for, not avoid...!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BMI is a load of crap. Yeah I said it. I don't think it's a very helpful tool for indicating health

Fat is a side effect of an unhealthy lifestyle and it's that unhealthy lifestyle that is putting you at risk for all the health problems associated with obesity.

Once you change your lifestyle and start losing weight, the risk of those health problems will lessen BEFORE you escape that obese BMI.

So please dont be discouraged, you've made great steps to improve your health and your life and you are healthier now at this current weight going down, than you were at the same weight going up. Your body will catch up and you can enjoy your new health right now.

in essence I agree, except the part of 'your body will catch up.' I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next month, i'm hoping she will explain why I am stuck and have been stuck for a year...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Work ur *kitten* off, take it one day at a time. Don't be discouraged and staying consistence is important. The difference between the winner and the loser isn't failure. The difference is the loser gives up and the winner keeps showing up.

YEP.. there isn't a finish line for us is there? and that's OK...once you FINALLY realize it..
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate the classification morbidly obese and it's even more depressing that in order for me to be out of this classification I need to lose 70 more lbs. I'm so much more active now and have worked my fat *kitten* off to lose 50lbs. but to know that in order to be considered "healthy" I need to lose so much more than I thought is just frustrating. I'm not going to let it get me down but was just curious if anyone else finds this hard to swallow.

It's just words that someone else, who's never met you, made up. You've lost 50 lbs! MY GOD! To me you're a hero (and mine is the only opinion in the world that matters, so be told and give yourself a hug lol)
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't look at the charts. I knew I was huge at 455 ten years ago. At that time I didn't care. In this, my current weight loss timeframe, I started at 415. Didn't really have a goal. Loosely followed Weight Watchers. Lost a bit but not much. Then I found MFP. Several people had recommended it and I also heard others talking about it. Weight started to come off faster. that got me so far, then agonizing plateau in October/November of last year. A trainer at the gym with a PhD. in nutrition gave me a plan to follow, that included among other things keeping my sugars under 45, green tea, and MFP. WOW! I've dropped a steady AVERAGE of 2 lbs per week for the last 7 months.

The Army says I should be 185 pounds for a person of my height/age/gender. I'll be happy if I drop a total of 200 lbs to get to 215 (see ticker) because that extra 30 pounds will be loose skin.

Bottom line: CONSISTENCY. If you drop 2 pounds a week average X 52 weeks = you will have dropped 104 lbs. Remember the word average. I seem to have developed a pattern where I lose for 3 to 4 weeks, then gain a pound or two in the 4th or 5th week.
    Discouraging? Before I recognized the pattern, yes. Once I realized that it was a pattern and my average was albs/week, all was good in my mind.

Keep it up, no discouragement necessary.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate the classification morbidly obese and it's even more depressing that in order for me to be out of this classification I need to lose 70 more lbs. I'm so much more active now and have worked my fat *kitten* off to lose 50lbs. but to know that in order to be considered "healthy" I need to lose so much more than I thought is just frustrating. I'm not going to let it get me down but was just curious if anyone else finds this hard to swallow.

It's just words that someone else, who's never met you, made up. You've lost 50 lbs! MY GOD! To me you're a hero (and mine is the only opinion in the world that matters, so be told and give yourself a hug lol)

lol Like this...hug given ;)
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started at a BMI of 38... not morbidly obese but still... I know its tough but you can do it... don't look at the large number you need to loose... looks at the next pound... its not one big step its many little steps that gets the job done...
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have lost 114 lbs total (pre- and post- MFP) and am still in the "obese" category. I feel like I look OK and pretty much blend in with everyone else now, so it feels weird to me. I do realize that most people are considered overweight, but the word "obese" seems extreme..but according to the almighty BMI gods, I will be obese for another 10 lbs or so. My actual goal weight is in the "overweight" category by like 11 lbs! I hate the BMI chart.

-Kendra
  • ReadynWillin
    ReadynWillin Posts: 104
    Options
    I was morbidly obese on 1/17/2013. I am now severely obese. Can't wait to be overweight.

My point is, happiness is in progress. I don't feel discouraged because I am working on it.

Very well said. It doesn't matter how your weight is defined, so long as you are still losing it. Happiness is only 70 pounds away now! (Instead of 120). So congrats on the progress!
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Those charts are a place to start but I concentrate on the solution. 2 lbs. at a time for me!
    Inch by inch-life's a cinch
    One Day at a Time!
    E-Z- Does It!
    Strive a little bit more every day!!
    Hug Yourself!!!!