Protein powders when lactose intolerant

Options
Hi everyone!

Ive recently started adding in weight training into my regime and I keep getting told that I need to up my protein intake to see the best results. Im not much of a meat eater plus meat is mega expensive so was thinking of going for a protein powder but I want one which is low carb and suitable when also trying to lose weight as well as build muscle. To make matters worse, Im also lactose intolerant.

Ive heard mixed things about whether whey is ok to have when lactose intolerant but heard loads of people raving about impact whey isolate on my protein - any advice would be very much appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try a different kind of protein powder, like hemp protein, rice protein, bean or legume protein. They all come in powder, and no lactose issues with those.

I use the rice protein, doesn't really taste like anything, 79 grams of protein per 100 grams of powder, and not too high in calories.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Go for any labelled vegan. I use a chocolate soya one.

Have also tried hemp but it turns everything sludge green and I could only get it unflavoured.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also meant to add whey protein gave me the most awful stomach cramps - worse than any other dairy products.
  • teateatea23
    teateatea23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im using vega sport (which is pricey) but dairy and gluten free. the sport one has 25 g protein per serving which i think is best you can do for nondairy/non animal product..but good luck!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've got a vegan one at the moment by a company called Sativa Shakes - it's quite expensive but might be worth it if it works for you :)
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Myprotein.co.uk have a range of non lactose protein, pretty well priced too!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the whey isolate removes most of the lactose - I guess it has to in order to be low carb, right? I am certainly fine with it, whereas with the same volume of milkshake I might feel a bit dodgy. I know I can tolerate a some amount of lactose though. So as always, it really depends on how much you are ok with individually.

:)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you can always try some and see if you react to it. Pick up a bottle of something like muscle milk ( I don;t think it actually has any "milk" in it) and see how you tolerate it. If there is a problem, you can alway get some Lactase tablets.
    Mike
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you can always try some and see if you react to it. Pick up a bottle of something like muscle milk ( I don;t think it actually has any "milk" in it) and see how you tolerate it. If there is a problem, you can alway get some Lactase tablets.
    Mike

Muscle milk is damn tastey too!