Dole & Monsanto are getting married :(

Options
2»

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Actually, only 1% of the world's population is involved in production agriculture, meaning only 1% of the world's population is responsible for growing the world's food and fiber. As urbanization increases, so does the need for these producers to find more efficient ways of producing food. Sure, Monsanto and others like them may have grown into monsters, but without them, that 1% wouldn't be able to feed the world. Also, more farmers would go organic, but it's almost impossible for many of them. My dad is a farmer, and I've talked to him about going organic, but the truth is, for family farmers like my dad, there's just no way. First, there is the transition period where you have to go so many years before you can be actually considered organic, then all of your neighbors also have to be considered organic before you can be organic. Even if someone uses a chemical of any kind on their backyard within a certain distance of your farm, you can't be organic. There's also a ridiculous number of other rules and regulations that the little guys like my dad just don't have the resources to tackle. Also, roundup is an herbicide, not an insecticide, and it's been around for quite a while. At farmer's markets, be careful what you buy. Ask the producer for his/her documentation of their organic certification. You might be surprised. As the world's population increases, the land available for food production decreases. How do you think farmers can keep up? It makes me sick everytime I see farm land with a for sale sign that has been zoned for commercial use, or the building of some new high-end housing development. People call this progress, but it in the big scheme of things, it's really a big step back for those of us who want a healthier planet and lifestyle. I would love to see an increase in family farms who are organic, but as someone who grew up in the production agriculture industry, I know that it's just not that easy, and frankly, won't happen as long as humans continue to increase our population and our "progress" unchecked.

i agree.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Not surprised. Companies will go to any length to enhance their bottom line. If they can manufacture fruits and vegis that take less care, not susceptible to pests (right now) and take less spraying they will want it. I work for an organic company and know first hand what my company goes through to adhere to standards and make sure that what we provide the consumer is the best product we can.

I drive by fields of corn and sugar beets each day that all have those little signs next to the road that tells you what type of chemical company manufactured seed they are using. You should see these suckers grow. Those corn fields are down right scary!
  • 2BSuccessful
    Options
    Yep, GMO crops are a major concern.

In the United States the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports on the total area of GMO varieties planted. According to National Agricultural Statistics Service, the states published in these tables represent 81–86 percent of all corn planted area, 88–90 percent of all soybean planted area, and 81–93 percent of all upland cotton planted area (depending on the year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism#Production
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    Anyone seen Food inc? Pretty scary stuff. >:(