tips on apetite supression.

Options

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I think the info Microlitigato gave is right on the mark.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nutrients nutrients nutrients. You could eat your macros and still be starving if you are omitting key nutrients.

Add me if you like, good luck with everything :)

Also read up on Leptin, believe it or not its your fat telling you your hungry... the more fat, the stronger the signal. That really hit home for me!
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    More fruits and vegetables - vegetables especially! Bell peppers, onions, romaine lettuce, kale, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, tomatoes (technically a fruit, I guess), asparagus, artichokes, carrots, purple potatoes, sprouts, spinach, corn, peas, yams, etc. - try to eat at least 5 different colors every day. I have no tips on suppressing appetite specifically, only tips on feeding your body in a way that will help you feel fuller and look better. :happy: If you really feel that you need an appetite suppressant, I would try to set up a few sessions with a counselor, as it may have more to do with emotional/subconscious/etc. issues than actual hunger.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Fast Food.....Try to eat organic, non-gmo foods.....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Meals high in protein and fiber
    Half your weight in water daily.

:laugh: what?! :huh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Fast Food.....Try to eat organic, non-gmo foods.....

I want to ask what the **** organic and non-GMO have to do with appetite suppression.
  • cjrichardsnyc
    Options
    Hi Charlette,

I understand where you are coming from and often deal with this myself! I actually just wrote an article about this very topic on my blog. If you get some time, give it a look! Here's the link http://thinkwritenutrition.blogspot.com

I don't get paid for what I write - I just do it because I love life, health and helping others..

I hope that it sheds some light and gives you a little insight on how to curb cravings. Love for you to leave a comment at the bottom of the article.

All the best,
    CJ
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have found eating more protein and more fiber is helping me to lose weight.

My Fiber intake is 25-35 grams a day.
    I eat Avocado mashed instead of Miracle whip on my bread.
    I eat peanut butter dense which fills me up.

Try first thing in the morning eating Oatmeal with peanut butter and sliced banana
    Be sure you drink 8 glasses of water a day.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Half your weight in ounces. Ex: 145lbs = 72.5oz which is about 9 8oz cups. It's not that unreasonable.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,689 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters about protein and fibre, and also keeping to a low glycemic index.

Foods with a high GI (ie sugary stuff, white bread) raises blood glucose very quickly and your body over reacts since it is designed to deal with fruit, not refined sugar and processed grains. As a result blood glucose is typically too low after an hour or two, which causes cravings for more sugar and carbs.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Half your weight in ounces. Ex: 145lbs = 72.5oz which is about 9 8oz cups. It's not that unreasonable.

Bit more unreasonable when that rule means a larger person would be expected to drink a gallon of water.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Not that I follow the rule but I do a gallon a day
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I would try 16:8 IF for a few days. The first few days will be really hard if you feel hungry easily but I think you might find that returning to eating more often after that might make the hunger seem less urgent. One of the main things to remember is ithat it is largely psychological and so you may solve it by playing mind games with yourself more easily than you can physically satisfy it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have noticed that my weight has suddenly crept up and I am heavier than ive ever been. Ive just recently joined the gym and am now reducing my calorie intake. However an hour after ive eaten Im hungry again. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay fuller for longer and reduce sugar cravings and hunger pangs. :grumble:

You reduce sugar cravings by eating less sugar. Fasting, counterintuitive as that might seem, reduces hunger pangs. You might want to check out the FAQs in the Intermittent Fasting group. Water also helps somewhat to reduce pangs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Don't suppress your appetite. Satisfy it. Proteins and fats satisfy most, and for longest.

I find a macro ratio of 30/30/40 protein/fat/carbs to be very satisfying, and I rarely find myself hungry, and hardly ever struggle to come in under my calorie goals.

^^^ this
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You also need to take climate into account. I live in Bahrain, this time of year it's very hot and humid, I'm sweating here with the air conditioning on. Your method would say I should drink 65oz water a day, which is just under 2 litres, but I really need to drink more like 3 litres, more if I'm working out, due to the climate.

Also when it's colder, you don't need to drink so much, and drinking more water will just mean more trips to the bathroom, which is a pain in the rear end for no health benefits.

monitoring the colour of your pee is a good way to check if you're getting enough water, if your pee is clear or very pale, you're fine. the darker it is the more dehydrated you are, so it should be an indication to drink more water. Also going for very long periods without peeing, or if you are constipated, are signs of becoming dehydrated.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Best tip I got was to pay attention to what I'm eating and keep it as simple as possible. Example:

Broccoli soup from the chiller in the store... I do better with the actual broccoli. Fresh, as raw as you can handle it.
    Fruit smoothie... eat the fruit.
    Prepared mexican style chicken pieces... buy the chicken raw, cook and season as you see fit.

It might not be for everyone but it got me to realise that the simpler the route from field to plate, the better. It took a lot of the thinking out of healthy eating!
  • charlottehall24
    charlottehall24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thankyou for all your advice. I am eating foods which are high in fibre and protein throughout the day. If I feel the need to snack Ill just eat something likeva cereal bar which keeps me full until meal times. I dont get as many sugar cravings now and stay fuller for longer. I have also noticed that i am losing weight now and inches off my waist bust and hips. :-)
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in fiber and protein. Drink lots of water. Chew sugarfree gum ;-) I love Extra spearmint!

When you first start you will be hungry because your body is used to overeating, so give your body time to adjust to your new eating style.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP! This is something I could ALWAYS use help with!!!