Any UK people who can help me with breakfast foods?

Options
Emsie_lou
Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
At the moment I am eating Asda's branflakes with semi skimmed milk as I like that it is filled with vitamins etc. But I don't think it is agreeing with me, I go to toilet constantly throughout the day as it seems to go straight through me and I feel hungry and lack of energy all morning until my lunch when I have a pasta salad or something else.
So can anyone recommend something I can have instead but filled with vitamins? I don't really like any other cereal or porridge. I was thinking eggs or beans on toast but that is probably too high in carbs!

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Are you following a low carb diet? Your pasta will be packed with carbs.

I for one eat tonnes of carbs, I'm a carbs with every meal kinda girl but more so complex varieties (wholemeal).

If you are avoiding carbs then how about omelettes with bacon or ham or chicken. If you want vitamins then I would go for fruit and veg.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    PORRIDGE :D

I have a bowl of porridge with a tbs of honey every morning... if you want more vitamins you can add fruit, for example.
  • Emsie_lou
    Options
    I'm not following low carb as such as I am just following what MFP is telling me to have. I do want to try and eat less carbs though. But thanks I will try omlette and have some fruit after maybe!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I add frozen berries to porridge and cook it in the microwave with only water and sweetener. You may like it that way. Keeps me full all morning.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Eggs are very low in carbs. Try omelet with veggies, scrambled, poached, hard boiled. Also, try different kinds of porridge. I have mine with peanut butter and chocolate ;) can't beat that lol
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    At the moment my breakfast is blueberries and a probiotic yogurt, and sometimes a banana as well.
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have eggs every morning, usually scrambled. They keep me full until around mid morning.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular vitamin you are trying to have more of?

I personally have vitamin B12 deficiency so I have to try and keep my uptake high, for breakfast I usually have wholemeal toast with marminte (high in B12) or cornflakes/rice krispies with alpro light (fresh) both keep me going until lunch
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Those Bran flakes are actually usually packed with sugar, which will explain why you are so up and down with your energy and hungry.

Omelettes are a great idea, they are full of protein which will keep you full, low calorie, and you can pack them full of veggies. I have mine with spinach, onion, mushrooms, and a little low fat cheese.

I know you said you aren't keen on porridge but there are some really good varieties now. Quaker do a chocolate brownie one, Alpen do loads of varieties packed with nuts and dried fruit.

Greek yogurt mixed with fruit would be another good breakfast.

Or try making a protein shake? You could whizz up some fruit, add some yogurt and a scoop of protein powder and then you have a good breakfast on the go.
  • Emsie_lou
    Options
    I am low in b 12 too and iron as I have anaemia. And to everyone who has suggested porridge I don't like it!! Will look for recipes with eggs for breakfast but not sure I will want to eat that everyday
  • Emsie_lou
    Options
    Those Bran flakes are actually usually packed with sugar, which will explain why you are so up and down with your energy and hungry.

Omelettes are a great idea, they are full of protein which will keep you full, low calorie, and you can pack them full of veggies. I have mine with spinach, onion, mushrooms, and a little low fat cheese.

I know you said you aren't keen on porridge but there are some really good varieties now. Quaker do a chocolate brownie one, Alpen do loads of varieties packed with nuts and dried fruit.

Greek yogurt mixed with fruit would be another good breakfast.

Or try making a protein shake? You could whizz up some fruit, add some yogurt and a scoop of protein powder and then you have a good breakfast on the go.

Some great ideas thank you. But would the chocolate brownie porridge be worse for sugar than branflakes?
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    A couple of boiled/scrambled eggs with wholemeal toast

3 Egg omelette(I add a bernard matthews turkey rasher and defrost 25g of those frozen sliced peppers)

If you buy a muffin pan you can add egg mixture to it and then add various different ingredients to make a variety of egg muffins to eat through the week/ham-tomato-bacon-cheese-chives-mushroom-spinach etc. You just split the mixture between the muffin spaces, mines has 6 and i'd prob eat 2 muffins. You can alternate the ratio of whole eggs and egg whites if you don't have the cals for all whole eggs, It stops it being boring if you have new ingredients in the muffin each day. You can cook a few days worth(only 20 mins in the oven) and keep them in the fridge, just microwave them if you want to re-heat.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am low in b 12 too and iron as I have anaemia. And to everyone who has suggested porridge I don't like it!! Will look for recipes with eggs for breakfast but not sure I will want to eat that everyday

Are you not on medication for it? I take a regular B12 supplement every day and try to get B12 through food as well, usually I find lunch and dinner are easiest though as I dont have time in the morning to make a cooked breakfast like eggs.

If its cereal you want then stick with it and just change to soy milk, obviously if you're having problems with the bran flakes change to some thing else like weetabix which is still good for you
  • deannafaye94
    deannafaye94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i eat some fruit with some yogurt (normally an apple and some berries) then add 25g of chocolate musli. The cereal is more of a mental thing i think because in my head cereal will keep me feeling full. If there really is no other cereal you like you could just add bran flakes of course
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest porridge - but as you don't like it....

Oaty millkshake :happy:

Have a base of oats and milk - then blend with whatever you feel like! Breakfast milkshake, but with the filling properties of oats. And because it's not cooked, it doesn't thicken to stodge and is easily drinkable. Nothing like porridge at all!

My favourites are:

Oats, milk, banana, peanut butter
    Oats, milk, coffee
    Oats, milk, banana, berries
    Oats, milk, apple, cinnamon
    Oats, milk, banana, cocoa powder

I also regularly add yoghurt to most of these. The possibilities are endless! Instead of milk, try rice milk or coconut milk.

When I go to the gym in the morning, I will blend one of these with protein powder added and will drink after my workout. Try it!
  • SteelLadybird
    SteelLadybird Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    And to everyone who has suggested porridge I don't like it!!

Porridge makes me yak too. So I just eat the oats uncooked with a portion of chopped fruit, a tablespoon of honey and 100g of natural, low fat yoghurt, either ordinary or Greek.

And when I'm usually in a rush in a morning, I grab a pack of breakfast biscuits, either made by weetabix, or Quaker (depending on the supermarket offers) or a banana, and a 200ml glass of alpro light soya milk
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourite breakfasts:

Eggy bread made with one slice wholemeal and one egg mixed with a little milk, dry fried in a really hot pan. Top with a dollop of half-fat creme fraiche, a handful of fruit (I slice half a banana, and defrost a handful of frozen berries) and a drizzle of maple syrup (you could use honey, but I love the luxury!)

Tastes so delicious and luxurious, but has only a few calories really.

1 slice wholemeal: 80 cals
    1 egg with drop of milk: 80 cals
    2 tsp creme fraiche: 17 cals
    1/2 banana: 60 cals
    20g berries: 6 cals
    1 tsp maple syrup: 17cals

Total: 260 calories of deliciousness :)
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    have you tried prolonging your breakfast? so wake up, grab a piece of fruit, then in half hour, a piece of whoelema toast with peanut butter, then another piece of fruit and a yoghurt?

i find eating breakfast great but its like my body forgets so i eat pretty constantly between 7-11 when i wake up
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something to keep you full until lunch try the new Danio high protein yoghurts. They are stunning and really filling. I have one of those and a boiled egg and am not hungry until at least 1.00pm
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach on a slice of wholemeal toast..... yum :tongue:

It's all about the eggs :drinker: