My thighs are so big!!

Options
They may just seem huge to me but still, I have always had a bigger hip ,butt, & thigh area but they're getting too big now especially now that my waist is slimming down.
I've lost 10 lbs but just gained another one so 9 lbs total. But no matter What I do my thighs/hips/butt never get smaller.
Im 127lbs
5'5
Waist- 27.5 inches
Thigh- 22.5 inches
Hips- 38 inches

I have very minor cellulite but I don't want it to get worse i also have stretch marks on my inner thighs and sides of my butt.
I do squats, leg addiction/abduction, donkey kicks, & the stair machine. (Those are my main leg workouts anyway) I also do insanity, I restarted it Sunday.
So I have cardio & weights I'm not sure what else I can do to help this.

Also I know YOU CAN NOT spot reduce! But maybe there's something extra I can do to help that area & my whole body along.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOL you know you can't spot reduce, but you want tips on, well, spot reducing ...

Just keep eating in a deficit and working out. You can't gain muscle in a deficit...

sorry thats all I got...
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There:
    Walk! The best exercise ever! Strict Clean Eating! Be Patient!:smile:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Lol, the exercises that you are doing will only make your thighs bigger. Look at the women in the insanity workouts.
    Long distance running slims down legs, or so I heard.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lol, the exercises that you are doing will only make your thighs bigger. Look at the women in the insanity workouts.

so you are saying you can build muscle in a calorie deficit?
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, may not seem helpful, but maybe you should work on embracing the curvy body shape you have now…

You can put on muscle and try to firm up the area that has excess fat. Sounds like you're on the right track with the diet and exercise, so you just need to give it time. Aside from that, there may not be much more you can do about the size/shape of your bottom-half…so embrace it!

I wish I had more going on, butt-wise! Typical for us ladies to want what we don't have.

I actually love my thighs, and they're 23.5". Granted I'm a little taller, but I think my strong legs are beautiful! Took me awhile to get there, but I'm learning to love the body I have…and am doing what I can to make it better every day!

BTW, I don't think Insanity will make your thighs bigger…I'm doing it now and have lost .5" so far. Good luck and be patient!
  • grandevampire
    Options

No. While continually eating on a deficit, doing leg strength training will not add any appreciable size. When the fat reduces, you may see more definition, but that does not mean bigger (the slimmer, more trained legs would fit entirely within the original fatter leg).

OP: Keep a slight deficit (you are not that far from your goal weight), and keep doing resistance training for your whole body. Women often see a bit of shoulder broadening when beginning upper body resistance training, so that may even visually balance you out further.

Keep at it, eventually the fat will melt away, and your thighs will get slimmer. Patience! (And hard work and sweat. Hopefully not too much blood.)

ETA: Insanity does not have a lot of upper body training aside from push ups. I found pull-ups transformed my upper body (into a "V" shape) the most.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

building muscle does not make your legs bigger in a deficit.
    This is completely phycally and thermodynamically impossible.

running does not work to slim down the legs, and it does not build muscle. In order to have a fit look, the muscle definition is important.

Keep eating at a deficit, but more importantly do some real training.
    heavy barbell lifting, compound exercises.

I understand it's all relative, but I see nothing wrong with the size you said- just saying.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    this is the area that most women will put weight on the first and take it off the last, it is an efficient place for your body to store fat.
  • Shay_in_shape
    Shay_in_shape Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Okay I guess I worded this wrong.

They do not need to necessarily be smaller but just more tone, and not as jiggly.

I'm saying it will be an all over workout i know that but is there anything that can really help my thighs (along with my whole body) that I'm not already doing. Because nothing I do seems to help I can get tone anywhere else except that area.

Like an example I've heard running is great for your legs and an all over workout but I have zero endurance when it comes to running but if it really is one of the best things to do then ill try to slowly add some running. I'm just trying to learn what has maybe helped other people with the same problem.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Judging from your measurements you have a nice figure and I doubt they are as big as you perceive them to be. You should read this thread for inspiration http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/811361-ladies-who-love-their-thighs-welcome?hl=women+who+love+their+thighs

Also, exercise is not going to make your thighs smaller, it will give them more definition. Your diet, eating at a deficit and overall fat loss will make them smaller. Good luck!!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

They do not need to necessarily be smaller but just more tone, and not as jiggly.

I'm saying it will be an all over workout i know that but is there anything that can really help my thighs (along with my whole body) that I'm not already doing. Because nothing I do seems to help I can get tone anywhere else except that area.

Like an example I've heard running is great for your legs and an all over workout but I have zero endurance when it comes to running but if it really is one of the best things to do then ill try to slowly add some running. I'm just trying to learn what has maybe helped other people with the same problem.

Besides squats

RUN with sprints (not uphill unless you want more muscular legs...I hate the term bigger)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So what were your measurements before you lost the 10 pounds?
  • katy_trail
    Options

wrong again. running does not build muscle.
    but sprinting up an incline is great for the hamstrings and glutes, likely an area she wants to improve.

yes. the best workout is what I said. lifting. do a real workout. challenge yourself.

Besides squats

RUN with sprints (not uphill unless you want more muscular legs...I hate the term bigger)
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to look into the best way to loose fat. At your height and weight you are already good, so if you are feeling jiggly it must be your body fat. Lower your overall body fat you you'll see those muscles you've been working so hard on.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i can't link it right now, but there's a thread on my profile, under helpful links.
    everything you need to know to get started, to find out about lifting challenging weights.

what you're doing isn't giving you the results you want. this is likely because you're doing isolation exercises.

what's wrong with trying this? what do you have to lose?
    what are you afraid of?
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Besides squats

What is the point if they are not getting more muscular? They will not look any better than they currently do in terms of shape if they aren't getting more muscular, at least nothing a plain 'ol calorie deficit could not do. Period. On a deficit, uphill running will not put on muscle mass anymore than weightlifting will.

It is calorie deficit to lose mass + subjecting muscles to challenging resistance to maintain/improve (due to beginner gains) muscularity, thus having firm underlying form while losing jigglier fat on top.
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am just like you but I have seen quite a bit of reduction in my lower waistline by doing Tracy Anderson Method: Mat Workout, I have done this enough to know what works for me and what doesn't , I am 35 years old, I have had 4 kids and I know this may sound weird , YOU have to love you before you lose the weight. I have only been on MFP for little over 1 year and I have found when I want to slim up my arms and legs this cheap video does the trick for me. I do not work for a fitness company and I do NOT sale products for anyone so my word is my bond. I have always been very "thick" for my size : 4'9 and this was the only video that made me slim out in the area's that "I" had issues with. Let me know if it works or friend me !

Maaleka
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    The jiggle is the fat layer, the way to reduce the jiggle is to reduce the fat layer. Continue eating at a deficit to reduce over all body fat. No, your legs will not get "bigger" doing squats (for a brief time you will retain water in the muscles when challenging them, thereby giving the impression they may be bigger but that goes away), you cannot gain muscle eating at a deficit or very easily at all. People struggle constantly with trying to grow bigger muscles because it is not easy. I highly recommend a full on lifting program that emphasizes compound lifts (starting strength, stronglifts). You challenge your muscles by lifting heavy, they will get "firmer" and continue eating at a deficit so that the fat is reduced. Viola! No jiggle.

BTW, I have 22" thighs and there is no jiggle and my cellulite is almost nonexistent compared to a year ago.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I am just like you but I have seen quite a bit of reduction in my lower waistline by doing Tracy Anderson Method: Mat Workout, I have done this enough to know what works for me and what doesn't , I am 35 years old, I have had 4 kids and I know this may sound weird , YOU have to love you before you lose the weight. I have only been on MFP for little over 1 year and I have found when I want to slim up my arms and legs this cheap video does the trick for me. I do not work for a fitness company and I do NOT sale products for anyone so my word is my bond. I have always been very "thick" for my size : 4'9 and this was the only video that made me slim out in the area's that "I" had issues with. Let me know if it works or friend me !

Maaleka

she's already doing exercises similar to this, high rep no/low weights, and it isn't giving her the results she wants.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Lol at this post that's full of nonsense.